Sophie's disappointing tango

2»

Comments

• davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did that song suit a Tango? I've always thought it was a poor song and the irregular rhythms in the verses can't have helped. I'm not surprised that Brendon chose to take a different 80's theme and use the manikin.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sophie performed the mannequin part really well, shame the dancing let her down.

Overall, she looked stiff and ungainly; her topline was dreadful, her left hand (as already mentioned in a previous post) was wrong, her shoulders were up and her head was badly angled.

It wasn't helped by the music. What music?

Loved the routine, it was a great "real" tango without annoying gimmicks and unnecessary tricks. I know Brendan is trying to 'big up' Sophie's ability, but unfortunately for him we have eyes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    She's my fav yet her tango was not good. I'm very disappointed. I now think Abbey will win. >:( Sophie needs to pull it out the bag next week.

I enjoyed it. Could have done with a bit more staccato, but I thought it amazingly good given the handicap of the music they'd been dumped with.

I have to wonder who chose the theme though and why? Was it supportive in giving her a part where being 'plastic' could be seen as good acting, or was it a pointed reminder of the common criticism of most of her past dances?
  • sonic157sonic157 Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sofajudge wrote: »
    It wasn't the best although there was some entertainment value and her performance was up. Now, we need her to gnash and gurn a little more and she will win! ;)

The choreography was good but the music? OMG the music!

I can do without the gnash and gurning but each to his or her own!
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed by Sophie's Tango and I'm a Sophie fan.

Yes, she played the part well.
    Yes, the choreography was good, especially considering the producers' poor choice of song.
    I think the irony (if it was meant to be ironic) of Sophie being an aloof-looking mannequin was great too.

But her head movements were not sharp enough and she does need more control of her upper body.

As to the judges' remarks about stumbling, I didn't see any of that.
    And I think the reason it looks as if Brendan is dragging Sophie around (not only this week) are partly because she has quite a 'birdlike' frame which looks as if she is being 'carried' or guided even when she is not.

The upper body control and the need for Sophie to emphasise that she is actually standing (dancing) on her own two feet can be rectified by the semi final.
    If Brendan makes a point of this....

When the judges praise Sophie and Brendan, it is mainly about Brendan's choreography. He does appear to have a stake in being seen as a top choreographer.
    But now he needs to concentrate on Sophie's obvious faults, otherwise he will be letting her down.

I still think that Sophie is capable of winning the final.
    But I would like to see her win it on merit.
  • tokyo_salsagirltokyo_salsagirl Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    kaycee wrote: »
    Sophie performed the mannequin part really well, shame the dancing let her down.

:blush: I loved that part.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sofajudge wrote: »
    And I think that is why I like her, she doesn't play the 'look at me' game, won't join the tango club and is reserved without being cold. She does express joy in certain dances she just doesn't shout about it, camera zone or try to play the public.

I'm not implying one other contestant does ALL these things, it's a mash up of the other three. :o

I like that about her too. I also enjoy Abbey's obvious enjoyment, squeals, whoops and all (as do the judges). Two very different women, but both completely endearing in their own way.

The routine would have been a sit-up "ooh, she has potential" if it had been performed early in the series (and would have scored 7s and 8s), but for 3 months of dancing the technique was disappointing. However, over the last two weeks Sophie's performance is much improved so that's hopeful. Next week, we need the whole package.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    I like that about her too. I also enjoy Abbey's obvious enjoyment, squeals, whoops and all (as do the judges). Two very different women, but both completely endearing in their own way.

The routine would have been a sit-up "ooh, she has potential" if it had been performed early in the series (and would have scored 7s and 8s), but for 3 months of dancing the technique was disappointing. However, over the last two weeks Sophie's performance is much improved so that's hopeful. Next week, we need the whole package.

Yes you're right, I hope she delivers but am happy she has got this far. I began the series liking Abbey very much. Susanna was a slow burn. Then the judges began the over scoring and it has made me not so keen on either...have to add I've started to notice how clumpy Susanna is during the last two weeks too.

I don't really dislike any of the contestants, just don't take to a couple. If Sophie goes I'm not sure who my chosen one will be but I think it may well end up being Abbey, although I personally prefer Kevin as a pro.
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it, her dancing wasn't brilliant, but it was made up for by Brendan's choreography. I find her dances among the most memorable, she brings her own personality to the dance.

Whereas Ashley, while technically a bit more on the ball, is always bland and forgettable. This was his best week so far.