China - Helping someone seen as an admission of guilt

Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
Forum Member
http://news.sky.com/story/1192143/china-accused-good-samaritan-commits-suicide
Wu Weiqing, 46, from Dongyuan in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong, was riding his motorbike on New Year's Eve when he encountered an elderly man who appeared to have been knocked over, his widow told local media.

Wu helped the man up and drove him to a local clinic, she said, where he paid 3,500 yuan (£352) in medical fees for him.

She said: "My husband never imagined that the old man and his family would turn around and insist that he was the one who struck him down and demand that we pay hundreds of thousands of yuan in damages."

The family of the old man, surnamed Zhou, denied they had requested huge sums and insisted Wu had hit him.

"If he hadn't hit my father with the motorbike, why would he be so kind as to bring my dad to the hospital and pay for his medical expenses himself?" the man's eldest daughter said.

In 2009, a driver called Xu Yunhe came to the aid of an elderly woman in the northeast city of Tianjin.

She later claimed that Xu had hit her, and a court ordered him to pay her 100,000 yuan (£10,500), on the grounds that he would not have helped if he was not responsible.

An unusual way of determining fault and guilt they appear to have. It puts those videos of people driving by people lying in the street into some context.

Comments

• NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's China, what do you expect? That Country is so ****ed up it's beyond belief.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad to have a society where people stop helping others for fear of consequences. It's not just in China, there have been reported cases of people who were successfully resuscitated suing the person who helped them for inadvertently breaking their ribs during CPR. It's why doctors have medical protection cover for 'good Samaritan acts' in case they try to help someone and get sued for it.