The new series was brilliant. I wasn't expecting that!

Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,762
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well I enjoyed that! After Jess and Danny left, thought it might suffer, so didn't have any expectations, but the whole show seemed natural (not overly staged) and didn't feel as intense or pressurised somehow. Not all to my taste, but no denying a pretty diverse and credible choice of singers to kick the series off. Ricky and Kylie are great additions. Ricky's just slid into the whole thing effortlessly and Kylie's just her usual bubbly self - I don't mind her exuberance it balances the judges and I thought Tom and Will seemed happier and more relaxed. Can't wait for next week.

Comments

• jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's already an improvement on X Factor that's for sure. Let's hope it carries on this way.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Ricky's so much more natural than Danny was. I think Tom's looking a bit jaded though, and I wish he'd pick some young ones for a change.
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Much better, after a while I found Jessie extremely irritating Jessieis still trying to achieve what Kylie has achieved and done so I didn't understand her as a judge and not many would respect her where as Kylie has the experience, maturity and sustainability to be a judge, plus she is very nice and bubbly person. Ricky was just a breeze, no cliches about being the best thing since sliced bread most of all he's honest, he's on the show to sell a few records as well and hear whats out there.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    Much better, after a while I found Jessie extremely irritating Jessieis still trying to achieve what Kylie has achieved and done so I didn't understand her as a judge and not many would respect her where as Kylie has the experience, maturity and sustainability to be a judge, plus she is very nice and bubbly person. Ricky was just a breeze, no cliches about being the best thing since sliced bread most of all he's honest, he's on the show to sell a few records as well and hear whats out there.

Yes, there was a real openess and honesty to Ricky and Kylie I thought, as if they felt privileged to be there. Their heartfelt enthusiasm and enjoyment of the show changed the flavour of the whole thing.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kylie was a little excitable but I expect she will calm down. Have to hand it to the production team for the overhaul, the show felt vital, though the precocious 6 year old was given far too much air time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Well I enjoyed that! After Jess and Danny left, thought it might suffer, so didn't have any expectations, but the whole show seemed natural (not overly staged) and didn't feel as intense or pressurised somehow. Not all to my taste, but no denying a pretty diverse and credible choice of singers to kick the series off. Ricky and Kylie are great additions. Ricky's just slid into the whole thing effortlessly and Kylie's just her usual bubbly self - I don't mind her exuberance it balances the judges and I thought Tom and Will seemed happier and more relaxed. Can't wait for next week.

Yes I agree! I haven't watched the previous two series, so can't compare them, but based on this first episode, I thought it was great. I found myself frequently grinning or laughing (which was just weird for a talent show) and actually enjoying it much more than I had expected.
  • *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,129
    Forum Member
    What was missing was the "angst" of Danny and the "mememe" of Jessie and the whole show was 100% better because of it. I laughed more with Kylie in that one episode than I did with Jessie for two series. :D

Really enjoyable viewing. Well done. :)
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    *Laura* wrote: »
    What was missing was the "angst" of Danny and the "mememe" of Jessie and the whole show was 100% better because of it. I laughed more with Kylie in that one episode than I did with Jessie for two series. :D

Really enjoyable viewing. Well done. :)

Actually the show's missing its Xtina counterpart...the vocal or the 'Voice' coach. Will's the producer, Tom's old school and Ricky's got the indie vibe. But Kylie as the amazing vocalist? She throws off the dynamic a bit. Not to say I don't like her though, she is lovely. Just that Jessie had a role.
  • Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It surprised me, they seemed to have got the balance just right between background VTs and performance. And I even liked the bit with the little girl because it gave her mum her five minutes of fame and varied the pace of the show a bit.

The only think I don't like is all the interaction between the judges about who should turn their chair round and when - it was a bit pathetic when they said (twice in Tom's case) 'I'm kicking myself for not turning round'. No unsuccessful contestant wants to hear that seconds after facing a row of chair back at the end of their song!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually the show's missing its Xtina counterpart...the vocal or the 'Voice' coach. Will's the producer, Tom's old school and Ricky's got the indie vibe. But Kylie as the amazing vocalist? She throws off the dynamic a bit. Not to say I don't like her though, she is lovely. Just that Jessie had a role.
    Kylie's a pop singer, not an opera singer, and one of the best there is. This is what people forget. Will i.am said that for the very first time this is what Kylie brings to the panel which it never had before. A global superstar with all those years still at the top = credibility. This is something that no one else on that panel could or can bring, except Kylie. This is what most teenage girls can relate to and want.
    Jessie wouldn't have a clue about longevity or how to achieve it. Do you think that Kylie could stay at the top with a bad voice? C'mon... You need a voice yes, but you also need much more than a voice to be successful, and more importantly, to stay there.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think where Kylie stands against Jessie is exactly that, the voice and how it is used.

'The Voice' isnt necessarily about the most powerful or skilled voice, its about a voice that is used and knows its limits well; control and not moving out of your successful comfort zone. (not creatively, just physically, knowing your own voice)

This is what Kylie has over Jessie in buckets. Jessie's voice - absolutely, range and power far superior arguably to Kylie, but she oversang everything she ever sung and it turned a large swathe of the Great British Public off her. Kylie has less to work with from the outset but she's a pro at working within her limits and still sounding good. Technique over power kinda thing.

And that in terms of attitude to the pop industry too. Kylie is charming and professional where Jessie was blunter. Grand for her, but bluntness isnt a way to appeal to people on tv and not come off as annoying to certain people (even while others might find it appealing)
  • BettyBoop2009BettyBoop2009 Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I have to agree with the OP, the show seems to have improved without Danny and Jessie. I wasn't sure about how Kylie and Ricky would be as judges, but I have to say I absolutely love Ricky!
    Lets hope the winner actually has some success this time...they really need to put more effort into what happens after the show ends.
  • SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, massive improvement with Ricky and Kylie instead of Danny and Jessie. I sort of miss Danny though, he was nice, not ever going to miss the Diva, I very much didn't like Jessie, either her attitude or her screechy singing.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, I wasn't expecting Kylie to be soo loud (in a good way), and I like Ricky's sort of laid back quiet approach to it all. As always Tom and Will were great. Emma and Marvin are also good additions to the show.
  • DalwhatDalwhat Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Chris Evans hit the nail on the head this morning. Kylie exudes warmth that was missing from Jessie. Both are equally talented but something about Kylie draws in both male and female.
  • HelenW82HelenW82 Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    So pleased the new line up has worked.

I didn't have too much gripe with the people who have been replaced but only tuned in this series to see how the new people would work out and was more than impressed.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.