Options

Helicopter Heroes Down Under

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
Forum Member
This makes my blood boil! >:(
The programme is about British doctors, nurses, paramedics etc trained by our NHS who have gone to live in Australia.
The laugh of it is they are proud to say they have moved there! Not an ounce of guilt that the NHS has trained them (WITH OUR/TAXPAYERS money) :o
I don't understand why the government haven't made NHS employees sign a contract to stay for a minimum number of years or pay a fee if they want to break the contract. Just as they do in the MOD.
In fact I am so incensed with this I am going to write to my MP!
No wonder our NHS is in meltdown!>:(

Comments

• Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The real issue is why does the NHS train more people than they have jobs for in the first place?

It's not thier fault that they put themselves through medical school and training (at considerable expense to themselves, it's not a total freebie) and then be dumped out at the end of it with no prospect for a career.

It is preferable that they are using the skills that they are trained in rather than accepting a job picking & packing at the amazon warehouse.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Do you have any proof that they just trained and then emigrated straight away?
  • Options
    Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    I thought that I heard them say that they had been working in A&E and elsewhere but wanted a better lifestyle and that's why they were going, ie they were experienced, working and earning but then emigrated. Therefore they appear to have left jobs which then might generate at least a recruitment need and possibly a retraining need.

I guess they are lucky that they aren't required to retrain in Australian bodies

Is there any counter evidence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The people I saw on this mornings show were working for the NHS... one was a paramedic in the north of england and the other a children consultant in London (I would guess we really could not afford to lose her!).
    I would suggest that there are not many people who are being trained by the NHS and are not offered jobs..... there may be students in med school/college, they are a different matter as they are paying for their own education... or loans are!
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does raise my hackles a bit too.

Seems like they are sticking two fingers up at the NHS and the UK.

Thanks for the free NHS training but I can't get admitted as a resident of OZ unless I have a secure offer of employment.

Don't worry they'll be back to the UK to plunder the NHS as fast as a stabbed dingo when a long term health problem arises.

Do away with dual nationality I say.
  • Options
    Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member

I would support that
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does raise my hackles a bit too.

Seems like they are sticking two fingers up at the NHS and the UK.

Thanks for the free NHS training but I can't get admitted as a resident of OZ unless I have a secure offer of employment.

Don't worry they'll be back to the UK to plunder the NHS as fast as a stabbed dingo when a long term health problem arises.

Do you propose that all the nurses and doctors from Third World countries, who keep the NHS going, should also return home?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Do you propose that all the nurses and doctors from Third World countries, who keep the NHS going, should also return home?

If we stopped people leaving the UK fully trained by the NHS then we won't need to retrain people to "keep it going"