Line rental question

Dan HannDan Hann Posts: 180
Forum Member
We have our phone via BT and our internet with talk talk.

I was thinking about upgrading to fibre, on talk talk site it says its £15 plus line rental. But surely the line rental is already paid to BT? How does this work?

Comments

• stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would have to switch your line rental from BT to Talk Talk, probably to get the Fibre price. They may offer Fibre without switching line rental but it will usually be more expensive if they do.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the larger providers will not allow you to take broadband, be it ADSl or fibre without you also paying for line rental from them. Any stitch up that they been allowed to get away with. what would happen if British gas would not supply gas without electric, there would be a right stink up

I think it is only Plusnet that will supply broadband without line rental unless you go for one of the smaller providers.
    My sister and brother-in-law have line rental with BT and broadband via Talk talk, i did not that was possible now, but it seems it was because they use to be on Tiscali when Talk Talk took them over. they do get emails and phones calls asking then to change line rental over, but brother-in-law will not do that.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    I think it is only Plusnet that will supply broadband without line rental unless you go for one of the smaller providers.
    My sister and brother-in-law have line rental with BT and broadband via Talk talk, i did not that was possible now, but it seems it was because they use to be on Tiscali when Talk Talk took them over. they do get emails and phones calls asking then to change line rental over, but brother-in-law will not do that.

I think you are right in both cases.

I think OP has either to cancel internet with TT ( so long as you are out of contract) and go fully over to BT for Fibre as well or .... go fully over to TT for the phone and fibre.
    Whichever way you go get an unlimited package.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Hann wrote: »
    We have our phone via BT and our internet with talk talk.

I was thinking about upgrading to fibre, on talk talk site it says its £15 plus line rental. But surely the line rental is already paid to BT? How does this work?

When you move to TT fibre you take the whole package including telephone hence the line rental. Most of the time switching from a big provider like BT means you keep your old number.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    When you move to TT fibre you take the whole package including telephone hence the line rental. Most of the time switching from a big provider like BT means you keep your old number.
    Also with Sky as well! With Sky (and I presume also with TalkTalk) the ISP rents only the "bare wires" to your house from OpenReach - BOTH the phone service and ADSL Broadband are provided by ISP owned equipment sited at the BT Exchange.

For Fibre it is a bit different. Any ISP has to use OpenReach equipment and fibre back as far as the exchange - when they can then take traffic back onto their own private network.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    I think you are right in both cases.

I think OP has either to cancel internet with TT ( so long as you are out of contract) and go fully over to BT for Fibre as well or .... go fully over to TT for the phone and fibre.
    Whichever way you go get an unlimited package.

Or they could go to Plusnet for fibre, then they can stay with Bt if they want to. As far as i know plusnet is the only one of the large providers that will do this, other wise the OP will need to go to a smaller provider.

When I was on fixed line broadband, I preferred the separate companies supplying broadband and landline, but then I did have have a good price for landline at the time and the broadband network I was with gave me the best service, just a shame now they been taken over by another company that seems to be running it into the ground.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    And if you pay PlusNet for a years line rental in advance you get it for £10.99 a month.

Their Fibre deals are also attractively priced.
    Forum Member
    And if you pay PlusNet for a years line rental in advance you get it for £10.99 a month.

Their Fibre deals are also attractively priced.
    I looked at PlusNet but there are two niggles! Firstly The cheap Line Rental in advance includes no free calls (many others give free weekend ones). Secondly CLI was extra (it is supposed also to be on BT but signing up for 12 months gives it free)

I went got BT in the end - who turned out cheaper after Quidco, Sainsburys vouchers, money off for 6 months, BT Sport etc. !!

I think the basic idea seems to be to definitely change every 18months - if one can stand the hassle! - with present "new customer" offers!
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    I looked at PlusNet but there are two niggles! Firstly The cheap Line Rental in advance includes no free calls (many others give free weekend ones). Secondly CLI was extra (it is supposed also to be on BT but signing up for 12 months gives it free)

I went got BT in the end - who turned out cheaper after Quidco, Sainsburys vouchers, money off for 6 months, BT Sport etc. !!

I think the basic idea seems to be to definitely change every 18months - if one can stand the hassle! - with present "new customer" offers!

Yes went with that option as I never use the landline for calls and my phone is in a draw somewhere gathering dust. - I would use it in an emergency if my mobile wasn't working, but that's not happened yet.

Of course if you want free weekend calls then that is not the option for you.

What is CLI?

Anyway, BT are good as they do own the whole thing,
    Forum Member
    What is CLI?
    Having your phone display the calling number (should be CLID perhaps for Calling Line Identification Display). Was 99p extra/month on PlusNet when I looked.

I agree that PlusNet are good and possibly the cheapest if you don't want to compare introductory offers and switch providers each time!
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    Having your phone display the calling number (should be CLID perhaps for Calling Line Identification Display). Was 99p extra/month on PlusNet when I looked.

I agree that PlusNet are good and possibly the cheapest if you don't want to compare introductory offers and switch providers each time!

Ah I see! So CLI won't do much good for me, not having a phone connected. :D

I'm happy with what I have gone for (subject to it being installed without problem, tomorrow) but in 18 months time, I will have another look and see what's around.