Options

In British sexism more 'more "in your face" than in other countries' ?

Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27034117
The UK has a "boys' club sexist culture", a UN investigator looking at violence against women has said.

Rashida Manjoo is on a visit to the UK, studying its approach to the issue.

She said sexism in the UK was more "in your face" than in other countries, and raised serious concerns about the portrayal of women and girls in the media.

She said the British media was responsible for "negative and over-sexualised portrayals of women", with some websites and TV channels dealing in the "marketisation of their bodies".

Any thoughts? I'm particularly interested in the views of people who have traveled extensively around the world.

Comments

• Options
    Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That article has been edited by the BBC.

The original draft made her look like an idiot.

But at least she did her best, bless her little heart. :D
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    She should stick to embroidery and kittens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sargeant80 wrote: »

How so?
  • Options
    Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How so?

I read it earlier today.

Originally she was quoted as saying Britain was among the worst in the world regarding sexism. While their are still issues, the UK is in the top 20 for best countries regarding women's rights.

Regarding the media she admitted that she had not seen those websites and TV channels, but came to the conclusion based on what some people had told her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I read it earlier today.

Originally she was quoted as saying Britain was among the worst in the world regarding sexism. While their are still issues, the UK is in the top 20 for best countries regarding women's rights.

Regarding the media she admitted that she had not seen those websites and TV channels, but came to the conclusion based on what some people had told her.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member

Any thoughts? I'm particularly interested in the views of people who have traveled extensively around the world.

What is the sexism level in her native land i wonder?
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All im thinking right now is that im often not keen on my own gender, so I wonder how much sexism there is within the ranks, as it were. I hold probably more sexist opinions about other women than I do about men, perhaps *shrug*
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she has watched too many Carry on films.:)
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UN have got a bee in their bonnet about the UK at the minute, not being nice enough to immigrants, the "bedroom tax" and now being sexist, all the usual UN/ EU cultural Marxist stuff, pretty tedious and transparent now though.

For the uninformed this where she (and most others in positions of power in the West these days, seems) is coming from:
    Cultural Marxism argues that what appear as traditional cultural phenomena intrinsic to Western society, for instance the drive for individual acquisition associated with capitalism, nationalism, the nuclear family, gender roles, race and other forms of cultural identity are historically recent developments that help to justify and maintain hierarchy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Marxism
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any thoughts?.

Yes....

She's an imbecile, simply repeating BS doesn't make it true.
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has the title of, United Nations Special Rapporteur on Violence against women.
    Also She is a South Afician feminist lawyer.

And most revelant is a Muslim.

Really She needs to go to Countries like Iran and Afghanistan and spread the word there.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She doesn't need to go that far, she could stay right at home in South Africa and find plenty of men who need the 'word' spread to them.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    She has the title of, United Nations Special Rapporteur on Violence against women.
    Also She is a South Afician feminist lawyer.

And most revelant is a Muslim.

Really She needs to go to Countries like Iran and Afghanistan and spread the word there.

You forgot ugly :D

She said
    “If I was walking down the street and there were whistles - which won’t happen at this stage in my life - but that’s sexist culture. It means it’s OK, it’s normal, what’s the problem?”

It's not your age love, that would never have happened
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I find it very sexist here in certain situations. There is no doubt that in the UK, there is a culture of looking down on women one way or another.

If you are not intellectual, you are a bimbo.
    If you are sexually aggressive, you are a slag.
    If you are assertive in work, you are a bitch.
    If you are too intellectual, you are snobby.

I think it is getting worse too, as men become emasculated and women take on more powerful roles, men feel more threatened and use social stereotypes to try and hold back the change.

The media culture is a disgrace as well. The way they go on about women's bodies is quite shocking, I saw a headline the other day about a reality star who had lost weight and the headline was 'I was so fat, my father was ashamed' - at her fattest, she was maybe a size 16, the average for this country. How can this be allowed?

In other countries I have visited, the sexism is much more open and honest, in the UK, it is subversive.

The US I have found to value women as equals.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    lmao at all these posters blaming her. She is just doing her job. Just because she is from South Africa doesn't make her any less correct. You lot likes to point fingers at the messenger. What about the actual problem? Posh clubs, all boys clubs. This is not 1950's anymore. Wake up.

I fail to to see where she was wrong, and I would strongly agree with her statement. Over sexualization of women in the media in UK is an understatement. Every tabloid newspaper explicitly posts pictures of said female celebrity only to be judged forr what they are wearing and how they are presented. It's pathetic.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tas_Has wrote: »
    lmao at all these posters blaming her. She is just doing her job. Just because she is from South Africa doesn't make her any less correct. You lot likes to point fingers at the messenger. What about the actual problem? Posh clubs, all boys clubs. This is not 1950's anymore. Wake up.

I fail to to see where she was wrong, and I would strongly agree with her statement. Over sexualization of women in the media in UK is an understatement. Every tabloid newspaper explicitly posts pictures of said female celebrity only to be judged forr what they are wearing and how they are presented. It's pathetic.

There's plenty of women's only clubs too. It's not just boys clubs that exist. For example there are women's only gyms up and down the country, and the WI is a huge club with over 200k members.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    She should stick to embroidery and kittens.

Your portrayal of girls and women is a bit boys' clubbish actually. Perhaps the lady has a point.
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She should visit Iran.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    There's plenty of women's only clubs too. It's not just boys clubs that exist. For example there are women's only gyms up and down the country, and the WI is a huge club with over 200k members.

I don't think club should be limited to single sex. This is not some mosque where only men are allowed to pray. I'm all for mixed clubs. I just find these single sex clubs, communities, and schools to be out of touch.

Men and women are part of this world. We shouldn't restrict any gender, race, color, religion. Everyone should be allowed to attend in my opinion.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

she did that all by herself
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think club should be limited to single sex. This is not some mosque where only men are allowed to pray. I'm all for mixed clubs. I just find these single sex clubs, communities, and schools to be out of touch.

Men and women are part of this world. We shouldn't restrict any gender, race, color, religion. Everyone should be allowed to attend in my opinion.

Start a campaign to get men into the Womens Institute then.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Royal & Ancient golf club in St. Andrews are apparently looking at allowing women to join the club from October (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/10724047/Women-to-be-allowed-to-join-Royal-and-Ancient-Golf-Club-after-250-year-wait.html).
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,250
    Forum Member
    Start a campaign to get men into the Womens Institute then.

Or Race For Life:kitty:
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

However she is making inflamatory statements not based on fact or hard eveidence but based on what people have told her. how can she be taken seriously based on that context?

However there are also plenty of women in the public eye who are more than keen to exploit such publicity when it suits them. Liz Hurley, for example, didn't wear that black Versace dress to the premiere of Four Weddings and a Funeral in 1994 because it was a warm night, she wore it specifically because she knew she would be in every single newspaper the following morning.

And whilst you blame the tabloid media there are also many magazines specifically aimed at women who are equally exploitative.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Or Race For Life:kitty:

Or the gym at the bottom of my road.