• alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh - that was it.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

That was an odd series, but she was still only up-and-coming then.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to see The Generation Game back - the show's format not tampered with, BBC - and I like Maranda Hart, though I'm not sure whether she'd make a good game show presenter unless she toned down the comedy a bit. She's good in Call the Midwife, so it's possible.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    Larry Grayson took over from Brucie on the Generation Game. The others did it after him.

I really don't want it back. We've already got a revamped Blankety Blank (the Guess List) which isn't very good.

As long as the original format isn't altered, The Generation Game is miles ahead of The Guest List, it's contestants are having to learn a new skill in 2 minutes and whilst comedy always ensured, at least it was interesting to see how quickly the contestants picked things up.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like Miranda Hart and I wasn't alive in the 70s when this was evidently at its most popular so if this happens I shall probably avoid it.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC don't have the right type of presenters anymore.

It has to be said, no broadcaster does.

That man with an edge to his delivery (always a man) A bit cheeky too. Unpredictable to a degree.

Miranda is more like a teeny tots presenter. These gameshows need that knowing wink-wink between the host and the audience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because we needed more of her, didn't we?

They might as well just run BBC breakfast followed by an extended edition of The One Show that changes over to Michael McIntyre and Graham Norton depending on if it is Spring or Autumn with a drama series on Tuesdays (either Lee Mack/Miranda/Sarah Millican/David Mitchell must be involved!), a comedy show on Thursday nights and some period piece involving the war or immigrants called something abstract like The Ragged Suture or The Carthorse of Pemberly. Maxine Peake, Keeley Hawes, Jessica Hynes or some other sexy middle aged worthy type will star opposite David Tennant, John Sims or Matt Smith, whichever Doctor Who alumni is in between projects right now. Olivia Williams or Emily Watson will play the sidekick loyal female who gets beaten and Timothy Spall can play some sort of governor. Cancel it after it becomes popular.

Actually, I think that's the programming schedule already for BBC 1.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Miranda Hart on The Generation Game? Whatever are the BBC producers and planners thinking of? I suppose it gives Miranda more props to fall over.
  • dottzie38dottzie38 Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't remember lily savage doing GG but I must admit I would nt mind seeing Paul o Grady as Paul o Grady presenting. Mirandas voice gets on my nerves
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miranda Hart on The Generation Game? Whatever are the BBC producers and planners thinking of? I suppose it gives Miranda more props to fall over.

They should just have that as an option on the Red Button all the time, "Click now and press 3 to watch Miranda Hart fall over, over and over again. Every 2 minutes she'll say "what fun!", "goodie!" and "mother!" alternately." Put that in place of BBC Three and it'd be a ratings smash.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Generation Game - cast
    Bruce Forsyth ... Himself - Host (14 episodes, 1971-1994)
    Larry Grayson ... Himself - Host (3 episodes, 1978-1981)
    Jim Davidson ... Himself - Host (11 episodes, 1995-2001)

Miranda Hart? Maybe it's a smokescreen and the BBC are actually grooming her to take over Bruce's other show ... Strictly Come Dancing. :o
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brucie was a slick seasoned pro. Larry genuinely had funny bones. Miranda has..........? I don't find her funny, whatever she has.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member

The same comments were all over the press when Larry Grayson took over from Bruce.

Bruce was slick "Mr showbiz" whereas Larry was genial but completely inept and hopeless at the games, which was absolute comedy gold.

Unfortunately most people on here will not have seen the LG shows, which became the highest rated programme on television. It also went head-to-head with Bruce's big ITV show and slaughtered it in the ratings.
    Most people will only have seen the '90's version with Bruce.

So new host for Strictly - which is a bit of a shaky thing, so precede that with Dr Who with Peter Capaldi, and the Gen game with Miranda. Solid Saturday night's viewing.

Hey, it might be straight out of the "Bill Cotton playbook" but as a child of the '70's, I don't see anything wrong with that.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »

Didn't they try to bring the show back before with Graham Norton (?) but it didn't get passed the pilot stage?

I remember seeing it, but not a lot about it. Seem to recall Kelly Holmes and her mum were on and there was a game playing tunes on car horns.
    Don't know if it was a pilot or a one off tie in with something.
    It was better than I thought it would be.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,526
    Forum Member
    alcockell wrote: »
    When Brucie left to do Play Your Cards Right for Thames, Jim did the Gen Game for a while after doing Big Break... Lily Savage took over from him.

I think you're right. When Bruce left after his second spell doing GG in the 90s Jim took over from him. I don't remember Lily Savage doing it though, that was Blankety Blank.
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Paul O'Grady did a pilot of Generation Game. Here he is on This Morning saying it was "a shambles" :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIk4POSNUtM
  • FinalAnswer?FinalAnswer? Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I had a few interviews for TV development last year and one of the questions in a number of them was "If The Generation Game was to return, who would you have as the host"

Seems my choices were well off the mark as I didn't pick Miranda at all :D
    Forum Member
    I think you're right. When Bruce left after his second spell doing GG in the 90s Jim took over from him. I don't remember Lily Savage doing it though, that was Blankety Blank.

IIRC there were "talks" with the BBC about Paul O'Grady doing the Gen game as himself, but they fell through.

POG then moved to ITV and carried on Blankety Blank on ITV
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »

Bruce Forsyth ... Himself - Host (14 episodes, 1971-1994)
    Larry Grayson ... Himself - Host (3 episodes, 1978-1981)
    Jim Davidson ... Himself - Host (11 episodes, 1995-2001)

Miranda Hart? Maybe it's a smokescreen and the BBC are actually grooming her to take over Bruce's other show ... Strictly Come Dancing. :o

That list from IMDB makes no sense. Do they mean series rather than episodes? How can Larry have hosted only 3 episodes in 3 years? :confused:
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the headline on the 10.30pm paper review. The most horrific headline I've seen this year so far.

Yeah, certainly beats a missing plane, a ferry disaster, floods and the Ukraine situation eh?
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »

The IMDB is wrong - methinks they have series and episodes mixed up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Generation_Game

Wikipedia has lists of series and no.of episodes.

Shows Larry Grayson as 60 episodes for example
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brucie was a slick seasoned pro. Larry genuinely had funny bones. Miranda has..........? I don't find her funny, whatever she has.

She is a posh woman who falls around a lot. That essentially is her act.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »

The IMDB is wrong - methinks they have series and episodes mixed up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Generation_Game

Wikipedia has lists of series and no.of episodes.

Shows Larry Grayson as 60 episodes for example

Yes the Wikipedia list is more accurate:

Bruce Forsyth - (1971 - 1977) - 7 Series
    Larry Grayson - (1978 - 1981) - 4 Series
    Bruce Forsyth - (1990 - 1993) - 4 Series
    Jim Davidson - (1994 - 2002) - 8 Series
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey. Dr Who, Gen Game, Come Dancing...all they need to do now is bring back Basil Brush and it'll be just like 1976.

Miranda is an odd choice, though. I'm one of those who does find her TV show funny but I'm not sure she's presenter material. They should try to persuade Brucie to host it again. He's quitting SCD isn't he?
  • thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is desperate, even for the BBC, as for Miranda (oh look I've fallen down again, ain't I hilarious) Hart...good God, it's like I'm being punished for a crime I'v committed in a previous life