Options

JSA Advice

ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Very happily, I was offered a new job yesterday. However, I don't start until the first week in November.

I am due to sign on this Friday. If I tell them about my new job, will they stop my JSA straight away as I'm not now 'seeking work', even though I'm not starting for another 3 weeks? I don't want to be dishonest but neither can I afford to lose money.

Comments

• Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I found out I had a new job I tried to sign off a couple of weeks before. I was told that I had to wait until my next signing on date as the job didn't start for another couple of weeks. So basically you sign on and receive your JSA up until your start date.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachael. wrote: »
    When I found out I had a new job I tried to sign off a couple of weeks before. I was told that I had to wait until my next signing on date as the job didn't start for another couple of weeks. So basically you sign on and receive your JSA up until your start date.

Thanks for this.

What about the form we have to fill in to show what we have done to find work? Do I still need to fill that in? I got a right patronising rant off one of the staff the other week for not putting in more detail (the detail was there but in a block rather than on individual lines as it was all connected - they got 3 and a half pages the last time I went!).
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    Thanks for this.

What about the form we have to fill in to show what we have done to find work? Do I still need to fill that in? I got a right patronising rant off one of the staff the other week for not putting in more detail (the detail was there but in a block rather than on individual lines as it was all connected - they got 3 and a half pages the last time I went!).

Sorry I don't know. My experience was from 4 years ago so didn't have to do this then. I don't see why you should have to but knowing the job centre they'll find something to complain about.
  • Options
    benjammin316benjammin316 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    I still had to fill in my looking for work sheet even though I had a guaranteed job starting soon. So do it, and wait for a week into your new job, then email them to sign off, this is what I did and got an extra bit of money.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was signing on, I got a part time job, but as I was going to be working less than 12 or 16 hours a week (I can't remember the exact cut off point) I could still sign on. Because I had a job, I wasn't looking for work, but when I went to sign on, they said they probably wouldn't pay my JSA for those weeks as I hadn't followed our job seeker's agreement. I argued the point that I didn't need to look for a job when I already had one (fair enough I thought!) and after a couple of weeks they wrote to me saying I wouldn't get my JSA. They made me feel like I'd committed some horrendous crime. I stopped it after that as I couldn't be bothered with the hassle just for that little bit of extra money.

So I'd say keep looking for work until you start, and fill your book in so they are happy, just to be safe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still had to fill in my looking for work sheet even though I had a guaranteed job starting soon. So do it, and wait for a week into your new job, then email them to sign off, this is what I did and got an extra bit of money.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    When I was signing on, I got a part time job, but as I was going to be working less than 12 or 16 hours a week (I can't remember the exact cut off point) I could still sign on. Because I had a job, I wasn't looking for work, but when I went to sign on, they said they probably wouldn't pay my JSA for those weeks as I hadn't followed our job seeker's agreement. I argued the point that I didn't need to look for a job when I already had one (fair enough I thought!) and after a couple of weeks they wrote to me saying I wouldn't get my JSA. They made me feel like I'd committed some horrendous crime. I stopped it after that as I couldn't be bothered with the hassle just for that little bit of extra money.

So I'd say keep looking for work until you start, and fill your book in so they are happy, just to be safe.

That's what I thought, they're so robotic and unswerving. I'll fill the form in and sign on as normal. Thanks everyone :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, congrats on the job! Hope it goes well :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    That's what I thought, they're so robotic and unswerving.
    You might want to think that they don't have a choice, of course.
    I so hope your job means you can make a decision without having to follow strict company rules ....
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is correct! I signed on for a bit last year and I remember one guy in the booth next to me arguing with the advisor because he had a job starting shortly but because he hadn't been looking for work for the interim period he was going to be sanctioned! There was an almighty row! Its all about the coffers!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might want to think that they don't have a choice, of course.
    I so hope your job means you can make a decision without having to follow strict company rules ....

Of course they have rules to follow, I'm not saying they don't. However, they could be less downright rude, unhelpful and patronising in their administering of them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Congrats on the Job. If you wish to continue claiming job seekers allowance before you start your new job then you need to continue job hunting. Yes it seems silly but you are not allowed to claim "Job seekers" allowance unless you are actually looking for jobs. Same applies if you are working less than 16 hours and still signing on, you must continue to look for other employment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B-612 wrote: »
    Congrats on the Job. If you wish to continue claiming job seekers allowance before you start your new job then you need to continue job hunting. Yes it seems silly but you are not allowed to claim "Job seekers" allowance unless you are actually looking for jobs. Same applies if you are working less than 16 hours and still signing on, you must continue to look for other employment.

We're aware they are the rules. I don't think it 'seems' silly, it is silly. Why should you need to continue to look for work when you already have a job? It's certainly something they should look to change IMO. Once you're in employment but working less than 16 hours a week, it should change to a different type of benefit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We're aware they are the rules. I don't think it 'seems' silly, it is silly. Why should you need to continue to look for work when you already have a job? It's certainly something they should look to change IMO. Once you're in employment but working less than 16 hours a week, it should change to a different type of benefit.

If the op was aware of this then why did they ask the question? Please don't speak on behalf of other people.
    You would need to continue looking for work because you are claiming job "seekers" allowance, the clue is in the title.
    There is no reason why a job starting in 3 weeks should stop you from hunting for a job now. Maybe you end up being offered a better job or maybe you end up doing some temp work for a week or 2 or maybe you just do a bit of job hunting everyday, write it down and sign on like normal for a few weeks until you start work.

In relation to work less than 16 hours you can choose not to sign on if you are happy working less than 16 hours, I have done in the past myself. Or you can claim job seekers and continue to seek employment of more hours or additional hours. Its not rocket science.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the op was aware of this then why did they ask the question? Please don't speak on behalf of other people.
    You would need to continue looking for work because you are claiming job "seekers" allowance, the clue is in the title.
    There is no reason why a job starting in 3 weeks should stop you from hunting for a job now. Maybe you end up being offered a better job or maybe you end up doing some temp work for a week or 2 or maybe you just do a bit of job hunting everyday, write it down and sign on like normal for a few weeks until you start work.

In relation to work less than 16 hours you can choose not to sign on if you are happy working less than 16 hours, I have done in the past myself. Or you can claim job seekers and continue to seek employment of more hours or additional hours. Its not rocket science.

I said "we" because others had posted, myself included, confirming that the OP would still need to look for work and fill in their job seeker's book.

My comment was aimed at the part where you have to still search for work when you are working, hence why I said I think they should change the rules.

There's no need to be patronising. I understand the rules. I just don't agree with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said "we" because others had posted, myself included, confirming that the OP would still need to sign on.

My comment was aimed at the part where you have to still search for work when you are working, hence why I said I think they should change the rules.

There's no need to be patronising. I understand the rules. I just don't agree with them.

Well said!
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly things can change and very very rarely the job can be with drawn so in a way it makes sense to keep looking until you actually start. And, yes this can apply after you have had a firm offer and signed the terms and conditions. I used to work in HR and have seen it happen twice in 20 yrs and in both cases the funding became unavailable (one due to losing a large contract) and we had to pay out a small some of money as inconvenience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The pure nastyness on this forum never ceases to amaze me. I clicked on a thread asking a question, I quickly scanned down and then said congrats to the op and answered the question they had asked. At no point in my original post was I patronising or rude or aggressive. I said well done and answered a question that had been asked. I then got a snarky reply from someone who obviously didn't like what I was saying. I don't make up the rules, im not trying to debate the rules I simply answered a question.
    Then I get told that Im being patronising and also made to feel like crap by the op.

Well thanks for making me feel like crap I hope you have a nice day and once again congrats on the job.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Never in a month of Sundays will they ever look at removing a mechanism that allows them to not pay money out for JSA! Technicality is the DWPs friend!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pure nastyness on this forum never ceases to amaze me. I clicked on a thread asking a question, I quickly scanned down and then said congrats to the op and answered the question they had asked. At no point in my original post was I patronising or rude or aggressive. I said well done and answered a question that had been asked. I then got a snarky reply from someone who obviously didn't like what I was saying. I don't make up the rules, im not trying to debate the rules I simply answered a question.
    Then I get told that Im being patronising and also made to feel like crap by the op.

Well thanks for making me feel like crap I hope you have a nice day and once again congrats on the job.

I only wanted some basic advice - I'm not used to the benefits system, having been lucky enough to be in work all my adult life - and I'm grateful to all those who replied, and I thank you for your good wishes.

I haven't detected any nastiness in any replies but I did feel a couple of your comments - however well meaning and intentioned - did come across as rather cutting and sharp. (Not the ones directly to me, I hasten to add).

It was not my intention to create a thread to upset anyone. We all know all jobs have rules to be adhered to and processes to follow. In my experience, in the 2 months I have been signing on, I have found some staff within the jobcentre plus offices to be quite unpleasant in how they deal with claimants and it is this which I find unnecessary. I am a human being, they don't need to talk down to me but they continually have done, despite me being very proactive in looking for work.

There should be a process in place for claimants in that inbetween section whereby they are no longer job seeking as they have a start date - be that a week or 2 - and are not earning but need financial assistance before their first pay date (mine won't be till 15 November but I still have bills to pay).
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I said "we" because others had posted, myself included, confirming that the OP would still need to look for work and fill in their job seeker's book.

Thing is, if anything more part time workers will have to look for work if they want universal credit so it's not going to change.

Just because someone works under 16 hours doesn't mean they don't want to look for more work, especially when a person on their own only gets to keep the first £5 and couples £10 a week before their JSA is reduced.
    If they want to do this, they can continue to sign on, those that don't can sign off

With regards to another post about looking for work when you have a job to start...sometimes jobs fall through, DBS checks can take weeks or can come through with something on them that means the job offer is taken back.

Agencies are a good way to get short term work whilst waiting for a job to start. It is all extra money if you have to make up your rent or pay a mortgage.

If you were offered a job in say November to start when someone goes on Maternity leave in January, would it not be a good time to look for some Christmas temp work?

If they gave people time off from the rules and still paid jobseekers, where would they draw the line? Someone would always be just the other side of that line and feel the rules unfair.

Congratulations on the job OP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Snarky reply?
    I said "we" because others had posted, myself included, confirming that the OP would still need to sign on.

That was my post. I'm failing to see where I was snarky or nasty. I responded to comments you made that I felt were patronising and a bit rude. The opening of your post, and the "It's not rocket science" comment were rude and patronising IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We're aware they are the rules. I don't think it 'seems' silly, it is silly

IMO this is a snarky reply to someone who did nothing more than answer a question that had been asked.
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,962
    Forum Member
    My jobcentre seems to be the less strictest jobcentre around. I have only filled my book in a couple of times since xmas because i have sore fingers and find it hard to write. They never say anything to me :o