Options

Is bicester outlet village worth going to?

marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im 40 mins drive away from bicester village, is it any good? I mainly want stuff from superdry and the diesel store - maybe the hugo boss store depending on what they sell.
Ive heard people say cheshire oaks is better, but thats 2 hours from me, so was thinking id go to bicester one. Bargains or cheaper elsewhere?
Dont know which direction to head in, anyone been to any of these?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're only 40 minutes away, then it's not going to be that much of a disaster if you think it's no good, surely?

I haven't been there, but my other half went last year with a few friends, and she came back with a boot full of stuff. Given how she's a bit of a fusspot when it comes to shopping I guess that could be classed as an endorsement for the place. It's certainly cheaper than buying current season items from Gucci on Sloane St, but don't expect to pick up a £2,000 suit for £400.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashford outlet shopping was great, abercrombie outlet store had extra 30% off at the tills so got loads for next to nothing. Too far to go though - that would be 3.5 hours lol
  • Options
    User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, unless you have a lot of money, expect to pay a lot for sweet FA......£300 for a paul smith scarf rock your world?

It's mostly last season's stuff, and the sizing is awful, ie loads of sizes for tiny or fat people, but little in the middle. I really woudn't travel that far for the diesel store, it's tiny.

I know this sounds really negative but I live very close and have spent endless weekend's taking excitied visiting friends up, only to wander around for 3 hours watching them buy nothing. There is clothes to be found up there, but considering the dross, hoardes of tourists, and general snobbery of the place...nah.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, unless you have a lot of money, expect to pay a lot for sweet FA......£300 for a paul smith scarf rock your world?

This is what i heard, its all high end stock as its all top designers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc822 wrote: »
    This is what i heard, its all high end stock as its all top designers.

On paper the list of designers is fantastic, anyone that's big is up there.....But it's pretty much all the stuff the designers couldn't shift from last season....ie the garish and odd stuff.

You should be fine to get a suit in Boss, but expect to pay upwards of £600, I was looking for one for my OH a few months ago.

Bargain is a subjective term, yeah you might save £300 on a jacket, it'll still cost you £900 though!! Don't expect thing from a big brand at high street prices, well maybe Superdry as that's not that wild (in comparison to designer labels) in the first place. I can't speak for Cheshire, but if that's new stock and not just the leftovers, then I'd be thinking of going elsewhere.

If you got money to burn and time and you will go irrespective, I'd recommend going during the week on a tuesday or wednesday. At this time of year with the xmas crowds, the weekend's will be rammed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On paper the list of designers is fantastic, anyone that's big is up there.....But it's pretty much all the stuff the designers couldn't shift from last season....ie the garish and odd stuff.

You should be fine to get a suit in Boss, but expect to pay upwards of £600, I was looking for one for my OH a few months ago.

If you got money to burn and time, I'd recommend doing during the week on a tuesday or wednesday. At this time of year with the xmas crowds, the weekend's will be rammed.

Upwards of £600 for a Hugo Boss suit in an outlet store? Methinks not.

Current season Hugo Boss suits start at around £450.
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a word, NO

Have been there twice and both times I was bored rigid. Not much for your average male, I'm afraid.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Upwards of £600 for a Hugo Boss suit in an outlet store? Methinks not.

Current season Hugo Boss suits start at around £450.

Yes current season stuff starts from that....

It aint this season's stuff though, it's what leftover from last. Do you think Boss sell more low price 'entry' level stuff or very expensive one of pieces....there's a reason all the cheap stuff was sold in the first place.

You may find a 'cheap' blazer for £350 or whatever (for which I did see a couple....in ridiculous sizing mind) but they're the exception and overwhelmingly likely to be in really unpopular sizing.

If you don't believe me, take a trip up there then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes current season stuff starts from that....

It aint this season's stuff though, it's what leftover from last. Do you think Boss sell more low price 'entry' level stuff or very expensive one of pieces....there's a reason all the cheap stuff was sold in the first place.

You may find a 'cheap' blazer for £350 or whatever (for which I did see a couple....in ridiculous sizing mind) but they're the exception and overwhelmingly likely to be in really unpopular sizing.

If you don't believe me, take a trip up there then

I don't need to travel all that way up north to know that you are talking nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't need to travel all that way up north to know that you are talking nonsense.

And how am I talking nonsense?

You see I have these wonderful things called eyes....and these things were working very well when I was up there a few weeks ago. you seem unable to grasp the fact that not every piece of clothing Boss sells is intially priced at £450, I guess my eyes were lying when I saw Escada dresses for £5k....yes everything at Bicester Village is only a tenner and above :rolleyes:

I even have the unfortunate experience of working up there (in numerous shops) as a student for 3 years, but hey...what would I know?? ;)

Hop yourself on the chiltern line tomorrow, they'll even shuttle you from Bicester Town station up there....

I don't need to worry about some keyboard warrior trying to rubbish my opinion when I go there often enough to know I'm right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been a couple of times and It's alright, not really the best place unless you'd be happy spending megabucks.
    I got two Ted Baker bags for £30 which is decent, but nothing else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And how am I talking nonsense?

You see I have these wonderful things called eyes....and these things were working very well when I was up there a few weeks ago. you seem unable to grasp the fact that not every piece of clothing Boss sells is intially priced at £450, I guess my eyes were lying when I saw Escada dresses for £5k....yes everything at Bicester Village is only a tenner and above :rolleyes:

Hop yourself on the chiltern line tomorrow, they'll even shuttle you from Bicester Town station up there....

I don't need to worry about some keyboard warrior trying to rubbish my opinion when I go there very often to know I'm right.

I can't believe I am bothering to get in to an argument with you.

Hugo Boss currently have 132 men's suits in this years range, and out of those 132 only 15 have a retail price of over £600. Their most expensive suit is £850. Given how all of the suits at Bicester Village will have already been through their sale at a discount of between 30 & 50%, plus they are now almost certainly receiving an additional discount as it is now being sold at an "Outlet".

Even if the most expensive £850 suit was being sold at a 30% discount (it is in all likelihood more discounted than that figure), the price would still only be £595. Unless the Hugo Boss shop only sells one style of suit, and that suit happens to be their most expensive variant, then I would consider your "upwards of £600" comment to be incorrect.

Not being a keyboard warrior at all. Simply stating facts, and not trying to press home a dislike of the place by presenting wildly inflated samples of what people could be expected to pay if they go there.
  • Options
    LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Bicester! It is very high end but I love going and having a good nose. I think the Superdry shop is great and Jack Wills. I went there in October and bought a Mulberry handbag. I think it can be hit and miss though depending on the time of year and stock but it's definitely worth going for a look. I find it fab for Christmas presents, I can normally do all my Christmas present shopping in one go as there is such a range of shops so can find things for everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe I am bothering to get in to an argument with you.

Hugo Boss currently have 132 men's suits in this years range, and out of those 132 only 15 have a retail price of over £600. Their most expensive suit is £850. Given how all of the suits at Bicester Village will have already been through their sale at a discount of between 30 & 50%, plus they are now almost certainly receiving an additional discount as it is now being sold at an "Outlet".

Even if the most expensive £850 suit was being sold at a 30% discount (it is in all likelihood more discounted than that figure), the price would still only be £595. Unless the Hugo Boss shop only sells one style of suit, and that suit happens to be their most expensive variant, then I would consider your "upwards of £600" comment to be incorrect.

Not being a keyboard warrior at all. Simply stating facts, and not trying to press home a dislike of the place by presenting wildly inflated samples of what people could be expected to pay if they go there.

I was there a few weeks ago looking for a man's suit, the only things that were in normal sizes (ie men with waists 32-36) where horrendously expensive, there was no £200 all in sort of stuff at all. I remember the cheapest option to put one together from their range of blazers and trousers to be near on £600.

You may be lucky and find the odd bargain, but for people looking for savings, it really isn't that great considering the stock they do typically have in. You can dislike and try and dismiss my view all you like, I know what I saw only a few weeks ago.

You're presenting fact without going yourself and 'assuming' what discounts are applied, it's an expensive place up there, no doubt about it. I maybe incorrect in asserting 'upwards' of £600 but I priced £585 to put a cheapest fitting suit together up there, I'm not fussed about £15 price difference, when went in with a £300 budget to look and found nothing, it's not £200 bargain stuff up there in all sizes.

I would think it's obvious as well there's a difference in price between Superdry and Boss and they're priced accordingly. We're talking about Boss here, Superdry products will be priced much lower. And as for a £300 paul smith scarf, I was being generous....it was actually on sale for £335.

I'm not saying don't go to OP, I'm being realistic in letting them know that it isn't primark levels of bargains and for an outlet village it's expensive. If people go up with realistic expectations then they have a better time.

Take a trip up yourself and enjoy a day 'bargain' hunting...
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Bicester Village is highly overated.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Actually, I find it ok. However, I would advise going on a weekday.

If you go on a weekend it will be absolutely packed and full of orientals.

I did have to laugh at queues for the Ralph Lauren store and one other store. I've never queued to get into a shop in my life. It looked just like a nightclub queue, complete with doorman.
  • Options
    morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And there's me who drove from Norwich and only bought a Kipling bag!

Expensive, small, overrated. But I'm just judging that on me and my likes. You'll never know until you go and look for yourself.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    There are bargains to be had, but you have to be lucky. I got some Paul Smith trainers for £40 which was a real bargain and some Fred Perry trainers for £15, but I have size 12 feet so perhaps I just got lucky.
  • Options
    AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bicester is great if you want to feel completely poor in comparison to all the Chinese tourists carrying armfuls of designer goods paid for in cash, and you're complaining about the price of a Starbucks Egg Nog latte.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    I grew up and lived in Oxfordshire until I was 21 and never went to Bicester village.

My wife wants to go to the Ugg shop to see if there are any deals, so we are going for the first time when we visit family in December.

Went to Ashford in Kent a couple of weeks ago and got lots of Christmas presents but not the sort of place we would shop for ourselves. Prefer Lakeside as the stuff is more our price range.

It's pretty close for you so give it a go
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a similar one in Spalding. It's fine if you like beige crap.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I visit Bicester Village 4-5 times a year.

On at least 1 of those visits I'll walk away with nothing.
    On at least 1 of those visits I'll buy nothing more than discounted Clarks shoes for work.

On the rest, I will leave with something from Timberland, North Face, Molton Brown or one of the sports shops.

One thing I will never do again though - visit Bicester Village in December or January.

I also always take the train there too. It's only £2.50 return from Oxford direct to Bicester Village (Town) station.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't been in a long time but it seemed it was full of expensive designer stuff being sold at a discount that meant it still cost more than 'normal' equivalents. If you really feel the need to walk around with some random designer name on your clothes it'll save you money but you'll save even more money by buying your clothes at Tesco or Asda and they'll probably last at least as long.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    I haven't been in a long time but it seemed it was full of expensive designer stuff being sold at a discount that meant it still cost more than 'normal' equivalents. If you really feel the need to walk around with some random designer name on your clothes it'll save you money but you'll save even more money by buying your clothes at Tesco or Asda and they'll probably last at least as long.

Woah there nelly! There aren't only two extremes of designer and tesco and asda!! What's wrong with the regular high street if your budget doesn't allow designer brands?!
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    There's a similar one in Spalding. It's fine if you like beige crap.

You can't compare the two. Bicester is designer brands, Spalding isn't, its more high street.