Options

'Love is a human right' - meaning?

IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
Forum Member
✭✭
I just came across a photo of a placard which reads 'love is a human right' and im curious as to what people think of this? I think its in relation to a gay pride march, so I presume its meant in terms of people being able to have relationships with people of their own gender without fearing punishment or whatever? presumably its not a case of if someone goes through life without falling in love, are they somehow being deprived of a human right? :confused:

I know that probably sounds like a daft thing to say or ask but for some reason, when I read the sign it stuck me as a strange but interesting saying, so I wondered what people think about it?.

Comments

• Options
    Joseph_McDonaldJoseph_McDonald Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Hmm tricky. I wouldn't describe being in love as a human right because some people are perfectly happy without experiencing this but I think love generally could be perceived as a human right, loving your friends and family, and having them love you back for instant. But then I think the term 'human right' is probably the wrong term to use here.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just on the phrase itself I would take it to mean everyone should have the chance experience love.

Be it parental love, filial love, sibling love, romantic love.

Love is a very human concept so I guess could be considered a human right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm tricky. I wouldn't describe being in love as a human right because some people are perfectly happy without experiencing this but I think love generally could be perceived as a human right, loving your friends and family, and having them love you back for instant. But then I think the term 'human right' is probably the wrong term to use here.

Yes but there's obviously a difference between loving your friends and family and being in an intimate relationship with a partner. How could people be prevented from loving their friends and family?.

I did think that it was a bit of a strange statement, since human rights are usually somewhat more tangible, things like clean water and shelter etc.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    I take it to mean that if someone loves someone else (in whatever way) then it is their right to do so.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I just came across a photo of a placard which reads 'love is a human right' and im curious as to what people think of this? I think its in relation to a gay pride march, so I presume its meant in terms of people being able to have relationships with people of their own gender without fearing punishment or whatever? presumably its not a case of if someone goes through life without falling in love, are they somehow being deprived of a human right? :confused:

Of course it wouldn't mean that, it just means that people should have the right to be in love, show this and celebrate it without any fear of punishment or inequality. That is one of our most basic rights really, marriage and so on.

I think you are taking the sign a little too literally, but the sentiment behind it is a true and obvious one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just on the phrase itself I would take it to mean everyone should have the chance experience love.

Be it parental love, filial love, sibling love, romantic love.

Love is a very human concept so I guess could be considered a human right?

I agree everyone should but with human rights, its usually a case of if you don't have them, then you should chase it legally, that you've been failed. If an employer is in breach of human rights, then they may be taken to court over it. How does that apply with something like love? if prisoners aren't allowed conjugal visits then could they argue that their not getting their human right to love, to be allowed to be with people in private and so on?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Of course it wouldn't mean that, it just means that people should have the right to be in love, show this and celebrate it without any fear of punishment or inequality. That is one of our most basic rights really, marriage and so on.

I think you are taking the sign a little too literally, but the sentiment behind it is a true and obvious one.

Ok, that makes more sense - as long as people don't do anything obscene in public obviously. Its ironic though as I think I heard recently that fewer people are getting married nowadays. It honestly did strike me as a strange statement at first though.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it to mean that if someone loves someone else (in whatever way) then it is their right to do so.
    I'm reminded by the same activists that no-one has the right to be in love or have a partner. Came to prominence recently after the killings in Isla Vista and the emergence of the #YesAllWomen hashtag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm reminded by the same activists that no-one has the right to be in love or have a partner. Came to prominence recently after the killings in Isla Vista and the emergence of the #YesAllWomen hashtag.

:confused: do elaborate. I heard about those killings, the man clearly had psychological issues. Such people are in the minority and hopefully aren't able to pass laws, that would make it ok to gun down people(!).
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paedophilia literally means "love of children".

Therefore, based on the previous assertion, "Paedophilia is a human right".

*Fetches popcorn*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, of course. I'm not quite sure what your point here is?

Any couple should have the right to love each other without being persecuted regardless of their sexual orientation.

But at the same time, people don't automatically have 'the right' to have a relationship with whoever they want, if the other person isn't interested.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

*Fetches popcorn*

I did think about putting 'with a person who is consenting and who is over the age of consent' in my earlier post but figured that was bloody obvious. I forgot I was on DS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

*Fetches popcorn*

I wondered that too but didn't want to go there. I'd like to think its common sense that basic laws such as the age of consent should be respected(!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: do elaborate. I heard about those killings, the man clearly had psychological issues. Such people are in the minority and hopefully aren't able to pass laws, that would make it ok to gun down people(!).
    I merely state the opinions given afterwards (although they did exist beforehand) where no person has the right to be in love with someone else or have a partner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    But at the same time, people don't automatically have 'the right' to have a relationship with whoever they want, if the other person isn't interested.
    That's what I'm trying to get at, if no-one is interested in that person, whether because of an individuals narcissism or otherwise. Rodger took it to extreme terror.

Love is not a human right, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights makes no mention of it, although what the LGBT activists are getting at is the idea of equality that LGBT people should have the same rights as heterosexual people for love and relationships, not that everyone should be entitled to it (as the likes of Rodger thought).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I merely state the opinions given afterwards (although they did exist beforehand) where no person has the right to be in love with someone else or have a partner.

That was one persons personal opinions (to put it one way), it does not automatically make it so.
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered that too but didn't want to go there. I'd like to think its common sense that basic laws such as the age of consent should be respected(!).

If you remember this recent #scandal involving The Harpy, then it has already been asserted in such a way.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some opinionist with a bloody sign can say anything .....

and saying an EMOTION is a "human right" is a joke!
  • Options
    portislayportislay Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I just took it to mean that the gay fraternity are just as entitled to reap the glories of love as the next woman.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stock phrase meaning fcuk all.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    A right in my mind means that an individual can either demand the state provide something or demand the state not deprive them of something. I'm not sure love by itself really falls within the realms that the state-individual relationship.

I recently read someone stating that everyone should have the right to a "healthy sex life." The complications of declaring that a right seem to have not been fully comprehended by the person.
    Stock phrase meaning fcuk all.
    This^
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

*Fetches popcorn*

If we're being literal, "philos" actually means "brotherly/non-sexual" love. (That's why "pederast" makes more sense for nonces, "eros" means "erotic/sexual" love). It's not really a word whose roots work literally anymore, although it has a definition as an entire word, and one which has precious little to do with love.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thats how I would take it, noone should deny love between people on the basis that they themselves do not like it ( other than if it was illegal for a good reason of course)

I mean the other option is that it is a human right that we are all loved and then I am sure some bright spark would try and sue someone if they weren't :D
  • Options
    FoxywarriorFoxywarrior Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    In this case (gay pride) it means guys and girls should be able to love and have a relationship with their own gender without being persecuted, locked up or even sentenced to death.
    This happens in many countries therefore if you try and prevent someone from loving someone else then you are denying them a human right.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Home Office doesn't believe it's a human right. The fact that my husband and I are legally married because we love one another is irrelevant to them, any correspondence I've had with them where they insist I am here unlawfully always includes the phrase 'our decision does not infringe on your human rights'. But they're just ignorant bastards so I wouldn't expect them to know about love. :)

I suppose no one can prevent you from loving who you want, but they can make it difficult to express it.