Options

what to get to watch box sets

Hi, ive been thinking about getting something to be able to watch entire series of programs like game of thrones, vikings and stuff like that. I have broadband and full hd t.v so playing in at least 720 p is essential. Haven't got a lot of money so the cheapest option or maybe a little bit extra for extra quality is a must but with so many boxes like now tv and the like what is my best option? been thinking about the chrome cast as sounds good and would enables me to mirror my laptop but is there something better? thanks.

Comments

• Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, ive been thinking about getting something to be able to watch entire series of programs like game of thrones, vikings and stuff like that. I have broadband and full hd t.v so playing in at least 720 p is essential. Haven't got a lot of money so the cheapest option or maybe a little bit extra for extra quality is a must but with so many boxes like now tv and the like what is my best option? been thinking about the chrome cast as sounds good and would enables me to mirror my laptop but is there something better? thanks.

Do you subscribe to any streaming services currently as that will make a big difference on which streaming device is best for you.

Chromecast for example only supports Netflix of the subscription streaming services natively and it won't tab cast Amazon Prime Instant or NowTV due to it not being able to do so for any video that requires an external plugin to play. Also tab casting is a bit buggy, it requires a fair bit of processing power to get a smooth experiance as it not only needs to be able to display it on your computer screen but also transcode the video in the tab and send it to the chromecast. Another thing to consider about Chromecast is it won't work with Hola and SmartDNS services need some advanced configuration at the router as the DNS is hardcoded. You not only need to be able to set the DNS settings in your router (many ISP supplied ones don't allow this) but you also need to be able to either setup IPTables or Static routes to block all calls to the Google DNS servers to allow these SmartDNS services to work. You can play content bought /rented from the Google Play store as well as from Wuaki.tv which is from play,coms parent company. You need a fairly modern Android phone/tablet or a iOS 6 or higher device to really make the most of it as these are your remote control. Some things can be done via the browser on your computer (which you can also tab cast from) but its more limited

The Roku boxes are good for both NowTV and Netflix but don't do Amazon prime video (supposedly due to Sky using their Roku Shareholding to block any new services that compete with NowTV from launching). They also don't allow DNS settings to be set on the device so you need to be able to set SmartDNS on the router if you want to use geoblocked sites or change netflix Region. All Rokus but Roku3 and the new streaming stick come with the old Netflix which means no profile switching, that's fine if you only have one profile but in a household with profiles for each member of the household that's a problem. The Roku's without the New Netflix lack it because they are underpowered, this is shown by how slow Youtube is on them. With more Mainstream Roku apps likely to move to using the HTML5 toolkit this will become a problem long term. The new Roku Stick is also fairly underpowered, its not the quickest experiance but the Roku3 is at the pricier end. For purchased/rental titles you are restricted to those available on Sky Store.

NowTV box is cheap at £10, its a rebadged Roku LT but with many channels blocked. This includeds blocking Netflix as they are trying to push their NowTV service. Has all the other issues related to the Roku

AppleTV is fairly expensive both to buy and for channels to get added to it so its lineup is fairly limited. Has Netflix and NowTV but that's it. Its big selling point is it can play your media bought/rented in iTunes. If you have an iOS device it will also airplay content from these which opens up things like Amazon. Prime Video

Google are expected to announced a settop box today that's supposed to combine chromecast functionality with something more akin to the standard streaming boxes but we will gave to wait and see.

There is also Amazons entry to the marketplace which isn't cheap but does have some major improvements over the devices on the market but we have no news on a UK release or what UK services it will support
  • Options
    shaun_lenchshaun_lench Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Thanks for reply, i don't have any services at the moment but want to watch the whole series of things and not have to miss an episode for some reason. Think i might just hold on and see what that google one is about.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for reply, i don't have any services at the moment but want to watch the whole series of things and not have to miss an episode for some reason. Think i might just hold on and see what that google one is about.

All the streaming services have Boxsets but none of them have them all. For example Vikings is exclusive to Prime, Game of Thrones is exclusive to NowTV.

Netflix have the best originals and if you couple it with a SmartDNS service like unblock-us you probably get the biggest library due to being able to switch Region to any of the countries Netflix operate in although you won't get any of the HBO content on any of them.
  • Options
    Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A DVD player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Marc, i have a dvd player and thought i would sign up to lovefilm but am still waiting for the discs to be dispatched so guess i will have to cancel that one as they said it would be posted out the next day. Shame tho as they seemed to have a lot of stuff on there.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Marc, i have a dvd player and thought i would sign up to lovefilm but am still waiting for the discs to be dispatched so guess i will have to cancel that one as they said it would be posted out the next day. Shame tho as they seemed to have a lot of stuff on there.

you mean Amazon, as lovefilm no longer exists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yeah amazon but they still call it lovefilm at present, just trying netflix for a trial so far so good just need a simple option to watch on the big screen as hooking up the lappy with a hdmi cable creates some lag here and there. oh well beggars cant be choosers i guess. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xfinity - massive selection on there! Couple that with netflix, directv and sky... Sorted