I've seen the light and gone for a s5 for my upgrade

mills705mills705 Posts: 556
Forum Member
✭✭
I've been sick of iPhones for a while- way too restrictive And so annoying with the fact it's apples way!
I just got a 4g s5 so really looking forward to getting it! Just waiting for the thing to be delivered!

Comments

• John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for you.

There will be quite a steep learning curve from the iToy to Android/Samsung/Touchwiz but stick with it.

It can be as easy or as complicated as you want it to be. There will be things that you think iOS does better but keep an open mind as Android just does it differently.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you will enjoy the new phone.

I can recommend the following apps:

SyncR - Sync all your iTunes to your phone even over wireless.
    Nova Launcher - Makes the phone a lot snappier + a lot of customisation (can change visual effects when switching between screens and even number of icons on the screens).
    SwiftKey - Great keyboard.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for you.

There will be quite a steep learning curve from the iToy to Android/Samsung/Touchwiz but stick with it.

It can be as easy or as complicated as you want it to be. There will be things that you think iOS does better but keep an open mind as Android just does it differently.

No, there isn't a steap learning curve.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

nonsense.
    they are both touchscreen phones with icons on the screen.

there is very minimal learning curve.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »

Exactly. After all Samsung did copy the iPhone so its not going to be too different. :D
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Exactly. After all Samsung did copy the iPhone so its not going to be too different. :D

Ah yes and they did an appaling job of it with Touchwiz.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »

Well judging by all the threads on the likes of XDA and other android forums, many would disagree.

However, ill rephrase:

"Some people struggle in the first few days of having an android phone as things are different, many ex - iPhone users can be a tad stubborn and not keen to learn how android does things differently (better) and throw a paddy and revert back to their iToy as they havnt spent the time and effort in getting to know a different operating system"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well judging by all the threads on the likes of XDA and other android forums, many would disagree.

However, ill rephrase:

"Some people struggle in the first few days of having an android phone as things are different, many ex - iPhone users can be a tad stubborn and not keen to learn how android does things differently (better) and throw a paddy and revert back to their iToy as they havnt spent the time and effort in getting to know a different operating system"

stop using the term iToy.
    it makes you sound like an idiot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    stop using the term iToy.
    it makes you sound like an idiot.

Stop been a dick and let others have their opinion?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop been a dick and let others have their opinion?

you calling it iToy is not an opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went from Android to iPhone 5 but missed the customisation, memory card option and removable battery. Plus I found the iPhone screen a bit too small. So I now have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and love it. I've had it about a week and a half now. IPhone 5 was good but just not for me.
  • Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I went from Android to iPhone 5 but missed the customisation, memory card option and removable battery. Plus I found the iPhone screen a bit too small. So I now have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and love it. I've had it about a week and a half now. IPhone 5 was good but just not for me.

Isn't about now a very bad time to buy galaxy S5 with a newer version on the way with a 2k screen and better specs?
  • JFCJFC Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I broke my IToy and went for a Samsung S4 as a replacement and never looked back. You will be fine and you will notice the huge difference in screen size. When I am using my mate's Itoy now the screen looks so small.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I went from a Galaxy S3 to an iPhone 5S and it felt like a huge downgrade.

The screen looks poor in comparison and I think the specs on the now dated S3 are still better than those of the latest iPhone (5S). The only great things about the iPhone 5S is the fingerprint scanner and the fact you can control app permissions. iOS 7/8 is as ugly as sin and you can't even hide it with a launcher.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both exceptional platforms in my humble, uneducated opinion. Was going to get the 5s earlier this year but I think I got more phone for my £ when I got my Note 3.

Don't care what anyone says, the 5s just feels sexy in the hand & Apple craft highly desirable devices. Samsung is catching up with their textured, rubberised cases but they still don't have that ooh feeling when you hold them.

/opinion.
    Forum Member
    JFC wrote: »
    I broke my IToy and went for a Samsung S4 as a replacement and never looked back. You will be fine and you will notice the huge difference in screen size. When I am using my mate's Itoy now the screen looks so small.

I've gone the other way, my primary device is now an iPhone, for me Android is aimed at kids who want fancy wallpapers and little substance. I also got fed up of all my apps stopping working after every Android upgrade.

I also own a LG-G3 and there is no Skygo for it, no BBM Messenger it's a disgrace in this day and age a new device cannot use the latest apps.

An by the way, an eye toy is a camera for the playstation games console. There is also an app called iToy which of those did you break?
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    If you are tired of the restrictive nature of iphones you will find the s5 very refreshing. Once you find you way around (day or two) the ability to do what you want is something you won't regret.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I've gone the other way, my primary device is now an iPhone, for me Android is aimed at kids who want fancy wallpapers and little substance. I also got fed up of all my apps stopping working after every Android upgrade.

I also own a LG-G3 and there is no Skygo for it, no BBM Messenger it's a disgrace in this day and age a new device cannot use the latest apps.

An by the way, an eye toy is a camera for the playstation games console. There is also an app called iToy which of those did you break?

See I think the other way. I see iOS an a kids os. It looks very bland and boring with no customisation options which is good for kids as they can't screw it up. It also locked down which is again good for kids.

As for apps not working after an uiograde, you are aware the same happens with the iphone right? And its down to the app designer. Just another load of nonsense you seem to be peddling out.
  • JFCJFC Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah I broke the whole toy shop due to falling in a river!
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best of luck with your new android phone, I did exactly the same last year and switched from my iPhone to the galaxy S4..
    It will seem strange to start with, a lot more questions for the phone your not used to seeing or dealing with, choices of what browser for things to open in, media players to choose from,warnings about what access apps have on your phone with scary terminology about what they control, but you will soon realise its just what the apps do on he iPhone just your not made aware so much of there content.. but after a few days and a small learning curve you will not go back, in fact if it wasn't for that my family all have iPads and I FaceTime a lot I'd ditch my annoying ipad for a Samsung tablet tomorrow..
    A few essentials I found to ease the journey:
    - choose a browser you like, opera for me but many like chrome..
    - install swift key keyboard, good predictive text, the stock samsung was useless for me
    - sort out what apps and widgets you might use and hide the rest
    - install google hangouts for messages as it works better then the stock one and you can use it as a FaceTime/Skype substitute as well as working better with emoji
    - turn off google now unless you think you will use it a lot as it drains power a bit
    On the subject of that put the phone in power saving mode,
    - Install keis on your pc to back up your phone like you do with iTunes
    Unless you absolutely hate it, you will soon see the advantages come through over iOS and the larger screen with superior colours with be a joy to use,, my iPad mini retina looks dull and lifeless when comparing it to my s4 screen..
    Have fun, persevere and enjoy..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't about now a very bad time to buy galaxy S5 with a newer version on the way with a 2k screen and better specs?

I don't think so personally. I think the s5 is awesome. The screen is bright and crystal clear and it's lightening fast. I wouldn't notice a difference in all honesty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    See I think the other way. I see iOS an a kids os. It looks very bland and boring with no customisation options which is good for kids as they can't screw it up. It also locked down which is again good for kids.

As for apps not working after an uiograde, you are aware the same happens with the iphone right? And its down to the app designer. Just another load of nonsense you seem to be peddling out.

I agree. It seems a fashion choice now as kids want iphones cos their mates have them and they wanna keep up with the trend.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's always the next big thing a few weeks/months off.

The s5 is a great phone. And it'll still be a great phone when the 2k screen version comes out.
    Forum Member
    Lyceum wrote: »
    There's always the next big thing a few weeks/months off.

The s5 is a great phone. And it'll still be a great phone when the 2k screen version comes out.

I agree the S5 is a good phone and I'm not knocking it, but if you're stuck with it for 2 years surely waiting 8 weeks or so for the "premium" version is worth it?

2K (QHD) screens are frigging awesome and yes even at 5.5inches you can see how great they are. It's just ashame there is next to no chance the new iPhones will had QHD screens. But I love the screen on my LG G3.

Although the fact I got it free with all you can eat data/texts/minutes @ £31 a month from 3 does make me love a it more than I should lol.
    Forum Member
    I agree. It seems a fashion choice now as kids want iphones cos their mates have them and they wanna keep up with the trend.

I agree iPhones are seen as "cool" with the youth, especially the iPhone 5c. Go into McDonalds on weekend and I would say it seems 80% of the 15-20 year olds have an iphone 5c