• GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radek's single now is he not?

Yep, ink it in:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome back attack music I have no idea why you were sent on your holidays but sometimes judicial use of the "ignore button" for a bit keeps your blood pressure down ;-)
    Radek's single now is he not?

It's one of life mysteries as to how he managed to get the girlfriends he did :o Martina Hingis? I cant remember what his wife looked like.
    Yep, ink it in:p

NOOOOOOOOO. Jaccobabe has been lusting after him for years. :p It's about time Stepanek looked after his fan, though whether he'd move to Norway is a different matter.

Meanwhile *wolf whistle*
    http://www.harpersbazaar.co.uk/fashion/fashion-news/andy-murray-rado-watch-campaign

Either he's photo shopped to bits or he's grown into his looks, but damn it he's handsome in this ad. #cougaratwork :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    Welcome back attack music I have no idea why you were sent on your holidays but sometimes judicial use of the "ignore button" for a bit keeps your blood pressure down ;-)

It's one of life mysteries as to how he managed to get the girlfriends he did :o Martina Hingis? I cant remember what his wife looked like.

NOOOOOOOOO. Jaccobabe has been lusting after him for years. :p It's about time Stepanek looked after his fan, though whether he'd move to Norway is a different matter.

Meanwhile *wolf whistle*
    http://www.harpersbazaar.co.uk/fashion/fashion-news/andy-murray-rado-watch-campaign

Either he's photo shopped to bits or he's grown into his looks, but damn it he's handsome in this ad. #cougaratwork :cool:

Vaidisova, quite unbelievable:blush:
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was some talk on this thread about whether Naomi Cavaday was making a comeback.

Would seem she might be trying as is playing in a ITF event in Sharm El Sheikh this week

Hope she has overcome her demons
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the welcome back Tally. Still baffled by the ban, I would accept it with good grace if I said something offensive but never mind. I just hope no one gets over sensitive about my posts :p

Looking forward to when the HC swing starts, I'm having withdrawal symptoms. How do people on here think Dimitrov will do from now on? Will he keep being a threat at slams? What about Kyrgios? Will he be a good prospect for the future or did he just play a fantastic match and won't do much else?

Indulge me :)
  • shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the welcome back Tally. Still baffled by the ban, I would accept it with good grace if I said something offensive but never mind. I just hope no one gets over sensitive about my posts :p

Looking forward to when the HC swing starts, I'm having withdrawal symptoms. How do people on here think Dimitrov will do from now on? Will he keep being a threat at slams? What about Kyrgios? Will he be a good prospect for the future or did he just play a fantastic match and won't do much else?

Indulge me :)

I only got overly-sensitive when insults against myself or others was used but we've been great since then. However I didn't agree with you not finishing my post 3 weeks ago about Novak. I love him. No more disputing my like of him OK?:) :p

Anyway like Tally and yourself I don't know why you got banned. You weren't offensive in any way even by refusing to read my post. I just laughed tbh. I find the fact you think I don't like Novak funny as I know I do love him. Was delighted with his Wimbledon win. Glad to see him get over his Grand Slam mental problem. Hope there is many more slams to come. Who knows maybe the US.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only got overly-sensitive when insults against myself or others was used but we've been great since then. However I didn't agree with you not finishing my post 3 weeks ago about Novak. I love him. No more disputing my like of him OK?:) :p

Anyway like Tally and yourself I don't know why you got banned. You weren't offensive in any way even by refusing to read my post. I just laughed tbh. I find the fact you think I don't like Novak funny as I know I do love him. Was delighted with his Wimbledon win. Glad to see him get over his Grand Slam mental problem. Hope there is many more slams to come. Who knows maybe the US.

No worries, I wasn't talking about you anyway :) it just seems someone, whoever it is, must constantly report me for no good reason :confused:

I would like Nole to win more slams but it is often difficult after someone becomes a parent. We shall see. He knows he messed up by choking some slams he should have won, but it happens. He has still cemented himself as an all time great, now has the same slam number as McEnroe.

Nole is the favourite for the us open but it's far from a sure thing. I wonder how Serena will do, her record this year has been :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No worries, I wasn't talking about you anyway :) it just seems someone, whoever it is, must constantly report me for no good reason :confused:

I would like Nole to win more slams but it is often difficult after someone becomes a parent. We shall see. He knows he messed up by choking some slams he should have won, but it happens. He has still cemented himself as an all time great, now has the same slam number as McEnroe.

Nole is the favourite for the us open but it's far from a sure thing. I wonder how Serena will do, her record this year has been :o

Why not finish my post then?:p;-):D. No worries. Just wondering. No hard feelings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not finish my post then?:p;-):D. No worries. Just wondering. No hard feelings.

Can't even remember what the post was but if I disagree with what a poster says or don't take it seriously it's not necessarily personal. I have agreed with some of your posts before, and then been baffled by others. Not anything personal as I said.

Your thoughts on Grigor and Kyrgios?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've reported you in the past, I can't remember if I did on this occasion. If you want to blame someone, blame me, and move on.

Anyway to answer your other questions, I think Grigor is still an under-achiever at his age, for his talent. He's improving but I don't see him being number 1, I still think it's a Lost generation.

Krygios may change that, we need people with the verve and the nerve to play like that as a youngster, and not be over-awed. His performance and Zverev's last week, really shows it nonsense that teens can't compete, it's just the Teens and early 20s have been hopeless for about 6 or 7 years, IMHO.
  • lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good to see you back. You've been away for so long I was starting to think you'd said something really bad. But I can remember at the time you were banned everyone was surprised as no one seemed to think you'd been particularly offensive. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't even remember what the post was but if I disagree with what a poster says or don't take it seriously it's not necessarily personal. I have agreed with some of your posts before, and then been baffled by others. Not anything personal as I said.

Your thoughts on Grigor and Kyrgios?

No worries.

I'm hoping Grigor can continue this way. I feel he has immense talent. He needs to utilise it right. This year he appears to be. Of course time will tell if Wimbledon was a fluke or the start of something. Hopefully the latter.

Hopefully Kyrgios can use his quarter showing to make something of himself. He hasn't just got a serve but its a massive weapon. He's still young and hopefully he grows as a player and continues to rise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To answer your question about Dimitrov and Kyrgios, I think they're the real deal and will both make top 5 soon. They've got that spark about them that makes you watch and think they've got that special something that champions are made of.
    Of all the up and comers I think those are the ones who'll fulfil the hype. Tomic has the burden of his revolting father but if he can overcome that he could become great, he needs to mellow down though. Raonic should be a solid top tenner (don't like him though). His serve is a thing of wonder but not sure about his all round game, while Ryan Harrison could either go to the top or be Richard Gasquet Mark 2. Perpetually under achieving.
    I'd put Robin Haase in with the new gang too, but, as ever, anything can happen - injury, lack of hard gruelling training, boredom with the relentless slog of the circuit and other elements.

:D Can I answer the question in 10 years time? I'd be spot on then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I have had high hopes for Grigor for a long time and he seems to be gradually improving, especially mentally. He still needs work in that area but things are definitely getting better. He seems to believe he should be up there with the big guns.
    Kyrgios certainly doesn't lack self belief and he has huge weapons- not just the serve but the forehand too. Against Nadal he seemed to thrive on a big court against a top ranked player whereas many players are beaten before they get out there against the big 4. Hope he can keep it up.

It is always interesting to look back on predictions. Sometimes people bump threads on MTF and it is interesting to see what people thought would happen. With Gasquet, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray, a lot of people seemed to think Reeshard would achieve the most. Certainly didn't turn out that way!!
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meanwhile *wolf whistle*

I'd say the former. :p
    I've reported you in the past, I can't remember if I did on this occasion. If you want to blame someone, blame me, and move on.

Anyway to answer your other questions, I think Grigor is still an under-achiever at his age, for his talent. He's improving but I don't see him being number 1, I still think it's a Lost generation.

Krygios may change that, we need people with the verve and the nerve to play like that as a youngster, and not be over-awed. His performance and Zverev's last week, really shows it nonsense that teens can't compete, it's just the Teens and early 20s have been hopeless for about 6 or 7 years, IMHO.
    Hmm. Of the 89-92 crop (Nishikori, Raonic, Tomic, Dimitrov) I hope it's Grigor who is knocking on the door of #1. If Chairman Rao is spearheading that gen then I'll be sulking and switching my focus to the WTA. :cool:

However, the 93-95 are joining the party (Thiem, Kyrgios). Could expand it to 93-96 actually, that would bring in the likes of Coric and Kokkinakis. Alex Zverev is '97.

I still think it's a big ask to expect 18-20 yos to be competitive all year round though. Thiem is in his first full year on the ATP and is running out of steam now. Having to qualify for every event has really taken it out of him.
    To answer your question about Dimitrov and Kyrgios, I think they're the real deal and will both make top 5 soon. They've got that spark about them that makes you watch and think they've got that special something that champions are made of.
    Of all the up and comers I think those are the ones who'll fulfil the hype. Tomic has the burden of his revolting father but if he can overcome that he could become great, he needs to mellow down though. Raonic should be a solid top tenner (don't like him though). His serve is a thing of wonder but not sure about his all round game, while Ryan Harrison could either go to the top or be Richard Gasquet Mark 2. Perpetually under achieving.
    I'd put Robin Haase in with the new gang too, but, as ever, anything can happen - injury, lack of hard gruelling training, boredom with the relentless slog of the circuit and other elements.

:D Can I answer the question in 10 years time? I'd be spot on then.
    I've virtually given up on Ryan Harrison. Attitude is still not what it needs to be.

Robin Haase as part of the new gang? Bloke's a relic of the Djokodalray era :kitty:
    It is always interesting to look back on predictions. Sometimes people bump threads on MTF and it is interesting to see what people thought would happen. With Gasquet, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray, a lot of people seemed to think Reeshard would achieve the most. Certainly didn't turn out that way!!
    Gasquet was a really promising junior though. Hopefully people have learnt from that - talent needs to be allied to mental strength and a fierce will to win. Richie Gas was found wanting in the latter departments.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Watson lost 2-6 6-3 0-6 :( didn't cope with the conditions well at all and completely fell apart in the third. Hope she can bounce back in Washington.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed Cherry. Gasquet is an amazing player to watch when he is in form and is so talented. Sadly he has never lived up to his potential and mental strength (or lack of) has played a big part in that.

Look at someone like Daveed. His comments about giving up against Nadal were just :o He has the game to beat him and has done at smaller tournaments, but most of the time it is like he either doesn't dare to do it or just doesn't believe he can, even if he is in a winning position.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hmm. Of the 89-92 crop (Nishikori, Raonic, Tomic, Dimitrov) I hope it's Grigor who is knocking on the door of #1. If Chairman Rao is spearheading that gen then I'll be sulking and switching my focus to the WTA. :cool:

However, the 93-95 are joining the party (Thiem, Kyrgios). Could expand it to 93-96 actually, that would bring in the likes of Coric and Kokkinakis. Alex Zverev is '97.

I still think it's a big ask to expect 18-20 yos to be competitive all year round though. Thiem is in his first full year on the ATP and is running out of steam now. Having to qualify for every event has really taken it out of him.

I don't expect Teens to compete all year round, I do accept that it is a much more physical game nowadays. I just want them to have the odd good Tournaments and great results, which Zverev and Krygios hve.
  • Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Troicki wins on his comeback against Thiem in Gstaad. Ugh, Thiem really should have won too. Shame to see him tiring out recently.
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watson lost 2-6 6-3 0-6 :( didn't cope with the conditions well at all and completely fell apart in the third. Hope she can bounce back in Washington.
    Disappointing. I like Kiki though, it's about time she did something in singles.
    Agreed Cherry. Gasquet is an amazing player to watch when he is in form and is so talented. Sadly he has never lived up to his potential and mental strength (or lack of) has played a big part in that.

Look at someone like Daveed. His comments about giving up against Nadal were just :o He has the game to beat him and has done at smaller tournaments, but most of the time it is like he either doesn't dare to do it or just doesn't believe he can, even if he is in a winning position.
    Gas is talented to a degree. It's a shame he never developed even a top 30 FH, as you won't win anything big without one.

Daveed and Berdych have given a number of defeatist interviews in recent years. Seems like they have accepted a slam is beyond them and are happy where they are. Frustrating for all of us who want the top level to be as competitive as possible.
    I don't expect Teens to compete all year round, I do accept that it is a much more physical game nowadays. I just want them to have the odd good Tournaments and great results, which Zverev and Krygios hve.
    Yeah, say at 3-5 big tournaments a year (slams or Masters). Rankings wise, the best 18-20s could realistically do is get direct entry to Masters.
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    Troicki wins on his comeback against Thiem in Gstaad. Ugh, Thiem really should have won too. Shame to see him tiring out recently.
    Huge loss for tennis there. :(

Thiem always pulls no punches on his FB and is really grounded, which is partly why I'm a fan. From recent posts it sounds like he's not sure whether to train harder or to conserve energy, spending the time on the practice court honing his game.

Not expecting a huge amount from him for the rest of the year. Hopefully he can win a couple of matches on home soil (Kitzbuhel).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very true about gasquet's forehand. Paire is another player who has a great backhand but his forehand isn't up to scratch.

Yes, the attitude Daveed and Berdych have is very frustrating. It seems odd that Daveed is always praised for giving it everything when he folds like a cheap tent against the big guns, especially his compatriot. He doesn't give it everything when it matters.

I also like Thiem but I don't expect him to do that much this year. With regards to Kyrgios, I hope he can keep his form up and expect him to thrive at the AO next year in front of home crowds. He certainly doesn't lack self belief. After he beat Nadal he said he read a quote from his own mother saying Nadal might be too good for him and it annoyed him and made him more determined to win. The guy obviously thinks he should be at the top!

Then again, Bernie used to say some self aggrandising things but didn't put the work in on court. Hope this guy is different. I suspect he will be.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say the former. :p

I've virtually given up on Ryan Harrison. Attitude is still not what it needs to be.

Robin Haase as part of the new gang? Bloke's a relic of the Djokodalray era :kitty:

Gasquet was a really promising junior though. Hopefully people have learnt from that - talent needs to be allied to mental strength and a fierce will to win. Richie Gas was found wanting in the latter departments.

It's worrying if approaching 25 (even already turned 25) is now considered the age to start of being in any sort of contention at all, and do it consistently.

Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and Murray (and all the great tennis champions of the past on the men's side) were all consistently in contention in the grand slams before they turned 22. 20 year old or even younger were great all year round in the past not even 20 years ago. Why all the lenience over the best 23 or 24 year olds of today that such players nowadays making the quarter finals and taking one set to a tie break and another to 7/5 (destroyed 6/0 or 6/1 in the other) is considered as being an incredible achievement.

If you not been consistently in contention by your 22nd birthday you may as well forget about the prospect of winning more than a solitary grand slam title by the end of your career. So if you were born in 1989 to mid 1992 and not even made a grand slam semi final you've really missed the boat in terms of being a possible all time tennis great.

It's concerning if those who are 27 or 28 years old right now will still be performing far better in 3 years time than each and every one of those who will be 22 to 24 years old by then.

21 or 22 is not far too young to be challenging consistently for the major honours. More like the best 21 or 22 year olds of today are nowhere near as good as they ought to be.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2018 or 2019 is far too long to wait for the next good 21 to 25 year olds to make their big breakthroughs top 3 or 4 in the rankings. Surely it won't be that long.

Why should it be impossible for a 21 or 22 year old to do big things today in the men's when it was a normal achievement up to 2009/10.
  • MissAyrshireMissAyrshire Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read on Twitter that Delpo is practising in America, starting to hit double backhands and has an appointment with his Doctor coming up
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well we were talking about her in this thread.

Still young, who knows?
This discussion has been closed.