Options

Eating coleslaw, potato salad whilst pregnant

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
Forum Member
One for the mum's out there, I'm craving both of the above, and am reading conflicting information about whether it's safe for me to eat them whilst pregnant (I am almost 22 weeks now) any advice appreciated!!

Comments

• Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    why wouldn't it be safe?
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard that coleslaw etc is unsafe during pregnancy before?
  • Options
    hobbleithobbleit Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why wouldn't it be safe?

I'm guessing the uncooked egg in the mayo
  • Options
    Steffi747Steffi747 Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing because it has mayonnaise in it, which contains raw eggs? Thats my inital thought anyway
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    before i found out i was pregnant 5 years ago i was mad on egg butties, ate them every day with a runny yolk. Nothing wrong with my daughter lol.
  • Options
    CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    hobbleit wrote: »
    I'm guessing the uncooked egg in the mayo

The OP could make the dishes using a "safe" alternative if she does not want to take the risks, such as they are, associated with consuming uncooked eggs.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a feeling that coleslaw has been connected with Listeria, which can cause miscarriage - will Google & return....

Yes - looks like it's best avoided:
    http://www.health.vic.gov.au/ideas/diseases/listeria_facts
  • Options
    CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    I have a feeling that coleslaw has been connected with Listeria, which can cause miscarriage - will Google & return....

Yeah, lots of things get associated with hysteria!

EDIT: oops - listeria. No, I think I was right first time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    Thanks for responses, best to be safe than sorry
  • Options
    nickyislady_tnickyislady_t Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop bought mayo generally doesnt have real eggs in them, i think you'll be safe enough :)
  • Options
    krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The shop bought stuff is generally ok, because of the manufacturing process. You've just got to be careful with "homemade" things.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop bought mayo is safe as the egg is treated to kill the pathogens, if they use that in the coleslaw etc it will be OK. Alternatively use shop bought mayo and make your own it's really easy and much nicer.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop bought mayo generally doesnt have real eggs in them, i think you'll be safe enough :)

Hellman's specifically states it contains free range eggs. However they are pasteurised so should be safe to eat. I believe home made potato salad can be prone to causing food poisoning if kept out of the fridge for a while but the answer is to make it fresh.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Hellmans mayo contains only pasteurised egg.
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    before i found out i was pregnant 5 years ago i was mad on egg butties, ate them every day with a runny yolk. Nothing wrong with my daughter lol.

:eek:Every day!? You must be yolking! :o
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on my fourth pregnancy and the list of things you shouldn't eat has been different each time! Prawns joined the list when i was expecting number two, but when i was expecting my eldest(now 15)i ate a hell of a lot of prawn cocktails!
    I see they've now decided that eating peanuts is fine.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason they say to avoid it is because of the raw eggs, there is a small chance if its not been kept in the right condition you could end up with listeria, and Listeria food poisoning is rare but serious in pregnancy. I had mayo, and the occasional runny egg and I craved prawns. Its just about making sure you know what you are eating and reducing the risks. If I had prawns I made them fresh myself, I didn't risk buying them out of a take out or anything. As long as you keep the food in the right conditions (as per instruction on the label), you should be fine. Just know the risks.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd agree that shop bought may has very little chance of having unpasteurised egg in it. If you're bothered about the raw eggs and really can't do without your coleslaw and potato salad, make it with salad cream rather than mayonnaise. No raw eggs in salad cream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bambii wrote: »
    The reason they say to avoid it is because of the raw eggs, there is a small chance if its not been kept in the right condition you could end up with listeria, and Listeria food poisoning is rare but serious in pregnancy. I had mayo, and the occasional runny egg and I craved prawns. Its just about making sure you know what you are eating and reducing the risks. If I had prawns I made them fresh myself, I didn't risk buying them out of a take out or anything. As long as you keep the food in the right conditions (as per instruction on the label), you should be fine. Just know the risks.
    Listeria doesn't come from the eggs - salmonella could do though. Listeria is more often found in dairy products and processed foods, especially the ready-to-eat meals.

/bug geek
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop bought will be fine. Also ask yourself how many times in your life you've caught Listeria.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop bought will be fine. Also ask yourself how many times in your life you've caught Listeria.
    How often will a GP bother to identify the pathogen causing D & V? Not often.
    Also, because Listeria is only really dangerous in pregnancy, that's the only time a GP will request a test for it - the rest of the time your poo could be full of the bugs but they won't be detected, as the labs won't be looking for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How often will a GP bother to identify the pathogen causing D & V? Not often.

Either way, the risk of getting it from pasteurised food is zero.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either way, the risk of getting it from pasteurised food is zero.
    What a ridiculous thing to say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a ridiculous thing to say.

Why? Pasteurised eggs are fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? Pasteurised eggs are fine.
    Well yes.....as eggs don't carry listeria anyway.....