Options

Oh dear, Labour gets it wrong again

penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
Forum Member
✭✭
Daft to go for George Osborne over benefits re. Mick Philpott.

A great many labour voters (and others) believe that Mick Philpott was having a lifestyle funded by the State. George Osborne has called for a debate.

Labour don't believe in debate. We know that, but thanks for confirming it once again.

You are out of step with your own voters. Daft.

Comments

• Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A great many labour voters (and others) believe that Mick Philpott was having a lifestyle funded by the State. George Osborne has called for a debate.

Labour don't believe in debate. We know that, but thanks for confirming it once again.

I am sorry I am more fond of Labour than I am of the Tories but how the blue blazes do you jump to that conclusion. George Osborne should concentrate on the economy something he has failed to assist in any way rather than trying to get political gain out of the death of six innocent children. Shame on him!
  • Options
    gavinfarrellygavinfarrelly Posts: 6,195
    Forum Member

I dont see why so many are having problems understanding this. The problem is linking the fact that he killed his kids to benefits. Which the daily mail did, and now Osbourne has done.

Oh some evil bastard killed 6 of his children. This evil bastard was on benefits. Lets attack benefits while the public are already outraged over the murders. They are more likely to agree to cut more.

Its just bad taste to use this tragedy for political means.
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont see why so many are having problems understanding this. The problem is linking the fact that he killed his kids to benefits. Which the daily mail did, and now Osbourne has done.

Oh some evil bastard killed 6 of his children. This evil bastard was on benefits. Lets attack benefits while the public are already outraged over the murders. They are more likely to agree to cut more.

Its just bad taste to use this tragedy for political means.

But which the Judge didn't. In his summing up he just mentioned that Philpott had used his children to make himself look big and really didn't have any care or concer for them. Benefits were not mentioned. So where has all this rhetoric come from.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He was obviously having a lifestyle funded by the state I don't think anyone can or does dispute that. The problem seems to be with the implication by the Daily Mail that his lifestyle, which many people share, is some how responsible for his actions.which in turn implies that others who are living this same lifestyle are also capable of doing what he has. I'm not sure why Tories on here can't see that this is what it's all about and what some posters are objecting to.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    But which the Judge didn't. In his summing up he just mentioned that Philpott had used his children to make himself look big and really didn't have any care or concer for them. Benefits were not mentioned. So where has all this rhetoric come from.
    Daily Mail headline yesterday - actually their front page piece conflated the two.

However, this might be tempered if the telegraph piece on MPs griping about £15/day lunch subsidies (on top of recently jacked up salaries plus 2nd house allowance, plus travel plus £400 per month food...) gets run elsewhere...
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osborne uses the killing of six children to further his political agenda and you criticise Labour.

You aren't another CCC robot who knows nothing beyond what you are ordered to know?
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ironic thing in all the wild claims these Tories are making is that his partners were or had actually been working and were getting more in the ''in work'' benefits than he was in the ''out of work'' benefits!

Still though anyone using this to score political points is disgusting. Children have been murdered ffs. Where is the respect for them?
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish lunatic tories would all just get together in one thread because we really don't need loads of ridiculously stupid threads on similar subjects.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Exactly.
  • Options
    OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the issue is not simply that he was killer on benefits but actually the feckless lifestyle that eventually drove Mick Philpott to kill his own children in a fire to create attention for himself. It was a purely a selfish action which when you look at is pretty consistent with his lifestyle.

The fire was about him and the way he lived was about him. He didn't care about anyone else and was totally happy for the state to support him and his 11 meal tickets.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Osborne uses the killing of six children to further his political agenda and you criticise Labour.

You aren't another CCC robot who knows nothing beyond what you are ordered to know?

:( It's horrible. I doubt that the OP would know what Labour voters think, never mind 'a great many'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    :( It's horrible. I doubt that the OP would know what Labour voters think, never mind 'a great many'.

Yup, that's right. Thick and stupid, walk around with my eyes shut, never read a newspaper, listen to the radio or television. And as for Newsnight and the Today programme - well, who needs them when you've got Jeremy Kyle.

Bah!

Why not try debating?
  • Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    I really don't know what electorate these Tories think they're appealing to with such generalisations based on the most extreme cases they can find.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sorry I am more fond of Labour than I am of the Tories but how the blue blazes do you jump to that conclusion. George Osborne should concentrate on the economy something he has failed to assist in any way rather than trying to get political gain out of the death of six innocent children. Shame on him!

No debate then?

Presumably the same applies to Ed Miliband?

Oh, I forgot. Labour can raise questions, but others may not.

Oh dear, oh dear.:(
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

I've seen a whole load of labour politicians saying how disgusting Osborne is today.

Too stupid to realise that most of the people they are talking to agree with him and don't like to be told they are disgusting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No debate then?

Presumably the same applies to Ed Miliband?
    Ed responded, he did not initiate. You Tory robots really don't have any comprehension even about the things you say

If Ed said that "all tories are baby eaters" would you condemn George if he made any comment in response?
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member

Unions and Labour MPs and Balls have condemned Osborne today, I don't see your point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I've seen a whole load of labour politicians saying how disgusting Osborne is today.

Too stupid to realise that most of the people they are talking to agree with him and don't like to be told they are disgusting.
    Would cutting benefits have saved those children? Why did George link the killing of children to possible changes in benefits?
  • Options
    TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Could we also have a debate about the teaching profession, seeing that some teachers turn out to be paedophiles?
  • Options
    PandorianPandorian Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    TomWhitton wrote: »
    Could we also have a debate about the teaching profession, seeing that some teachers turn out to be paedophiles?

Sure - go start a new thread about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomWhitton wrote: »
    A teacher is a paedophile, therefore all teachers should be treated as if they are paedophiles.

A benefits claimant is a narcissistic violent piece of scum, therefore all benefits claimants should be treated as if they are narcissistic violent pieces of scum
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    A teacher is a paedophile, therefore all teachers should be treated as if they are paedophiles.

A benefits claimant is a narcissistic violent piece of scum, therefore all benefits claimants should be treated as if they are narcissistic violent pieces of scum

Its a bit early for the next Tory Manifesto.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the issue is not he was killer on benefits but actually the feckless lifestyle that eventually drove Mick Philpott to kill his own children in a fire to create attention for himself. It was a purely a selfish action which when you look at is pretty consistent with his lifestyle.

The fire was about him and the way he lived was about him. He didn't care about anyone else and was totally happy for the state to support him and his 11 meal tickets.

I agree he is a killer but how significant is it that he was on benefits and what role did it play in what he did ?

For what anyone knows he could have lived the same lifestyle if he had funded it himself and the outcome of that lifestyle could have been exactly the same. The difference being that people would not be blaming it on him being on benefits so we would probably not even be having this discussion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree he is a killer but how significant is it that he was on benefits and what role did it play in what he did ?

Not significant at all..according to the judge.

The main motive, according to the rags.

I know which I would rather believe...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's the way Osborne is using it for propaganda. As you can't see that you're just the sort of voter he's aiming at.