Options

Samsung Smart TV & BBC iPlayer

My apologies if this topic has been dealt with elsewhere but searching the forums has not shown any obvious answers ....

I have a new Samsung Smart TV model UE32F5500. When I use the BBC iPlayer the lip sync is atrocious after about 20 minutes of watching a programme - so bad that it is unwatchable! I have BT Infinity broadband ~40Mbps and use the BT HomeHub v3. The router and the TV are in the same room. There are no problems when using the ITV Player, 4OD, etc. The TV firmware is up to date.

I have been in touch with Samsung several times about this but they are just blaming the iPlayer app and are basically washing their hands of the problem despite the fact that they market this television very much on the basis that it has internet based 'catch up' utilities built in.

The BBC hasn't exactly been helpful either although they did suggest that I check that the TV is listed on their iPlayer compatibility list - which it isn't!

The retailer has offered to exchange the TV on a like-for-like basis but Samsung say this is pointless as it is almost certainly a software issue and not a hardware problem.

Help!! Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Comments

• Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to say this, but it could really be that the BBC iPlayer is not compatible with that particular model.

If your retailer is willing to return the television, you may want to do that as there is no proof that the BBC will include the F5500 in the future (though no proof that they won't)

If I was in your shoes, I would return to the retailer and remind them that they offered a like for like return. I would then make a proposal. I would test the next model up in their shop (you may have to ask them to connect it to the wifi) and then see if the BBC iPlayer works (and the others!) If all is well, ask for a return for your current TV and pay the extra for the one that works.

I personally don't know much about the F-series yet, but the 5500 is rather low in the numbers and if that were an E-series it could very well have some issues with many catch-up widgets.

At least just to test the televisions in the shop, you don't have to lug your own set around!

The last thing I would do is do nothing. If you bought a TV with the expectation of getting access to the iPlayer, then you should have that.
  • Options
    GwyndyGwyndy Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Thanks ovbg for your reply. There is certainly an issue with the iPlayer on this TV (at least for my set up). At the moment everyone is washing their hands of the problem and I am getting passed from pillar to post!

I'll post again when I have got something sensible to report!
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I have similar problems with the Demand 5 app
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Update: I spent over an hour with the retailer on Friday and we reproduced the BBC iPlayer problem on their Samsung demo UE32F5500. That has at least confirmed that the problem is not with my own setup but still leaves several possibilities - the iPlayer app, the BBC servers, or the TV itself. Interestingly we tried iPlayer on a Sony TV and there was no problem!

Samsung Technical Support is still blaming the BBC iPlayer app and is refusing to acknowledge that it has any role in dealing with this problem. They also say that, although this model is not listed on the BBC iPlayer compatibility web page, it is 'approved'.

More anon!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I contacted Samsung Technical support in a 'last ditch' effort to find a resolution to this problem. The chap I spoke to immediately told me that there is a 'known issue' with the BBC iPlayer app that affects certain Samsung TVs and that they are working on a 'fix'.

24 hours later another Samsung tech support person denied that there are any problems with the iPlayer and said that the first chap was wrong!

Another call to the first chap again who reiterated that there is a problem, the BBC knows about it, and is working on an app update.

And in the middle of all this I had an e-mail from the BBC -

"I understand you've continued to experience problems when accessing the BBC iPlayer service via your Samsung Smart TV.

Unfortunately we can only test the most popular devices at present. There is a wide range of devices which may have the specifications to support the service, however if we haven't tested these we cannot guarantee the quality of service you receive. On this occasion we cannot provide further guidance as your model is not currently supported."

You couldn't make this up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ ah, that sounds about right.

The BBC widget really has nothing to do with Samsung, as much as Photoshop has anything to do with Dell computers. If someone owns a Dell and Photoshop has a problem, they should call Adobe, not Dell ;) Samsung make the platform, the BBC make their own app.

The confusion at Samsung could have been because the first person was referring to the fact he/she knows that the BBC app has a problem and Samsung are working on it (i.e. they got a lot of customers complaining, so they contacted the BBC), the 2nd person may have just been pointing out that Samsung actually has no issue since they don't make the apps anyway.

The BBC on the other hand support over 650 devices, which is quite a lot and I suspect they are loosing track a bit. Who can blame them, and actually they recently made it public that they find the whole concept of developing iPlayer for different platforms too difficult. When they create a computer version, they only need to make it for three platforms, Windows, Mac and (maybe) Linux. When they do it for other devices, they often need a completely separate port for every device, Xbox, Roku, Samsung TVs (maybe different versions for the D, E and F series), LG TVs, Panasonic TVs etc, not to mention iPhone, iPad and all the endless types of Android phones.

So I wouldn't be surprised about the confusion, and after all, you made the classic mistake as well by calling Samsung. Don't worry, I'm not taking a dig at you as it is such a common mistake, but Samsung do not make the 3rd party apps on their TVs any more than Apple, Windows or any computer maker codes 3rd party apps for their OS or computers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ovbg wrote: »
    The BBC widget really has nothing to do with Samsung, as much as Photoshop has anything to do with Dell computers. If someone owns a Dell and Photoshop has a problem, they should call Adobe, not Dell ;) Samsung make the platform, the BBC make their own app.
    Would you buy a car with square wheels and accept the manufacturer saying that it has nothing to do with them as the wheels are made by a third party?

The BBC iPlayer app is pre-installed on the Smart TVs and Samsung advertises that they have 'The best range of catch-up services'. Whilst Samsung did not develop the iPlayer app they surely have a duty to end users to ensure that it works properly on all the devices on which it is installed.

The nonsensical conversation with one of the Samsung technical support people was entirely down to his own lack of awareness of complaints about the BBC iPlayer from people like me and yet he tried to tell me that his colleague didn't know what he was talking about!

Samsung is aware of the lip sync issue with the BBC iPlayer which is affecting some of their TVs. They have told me that the BBC is aware of the problem and is working on an update to the app, but the BBC has told me again that the Samsung UE32F5500 is not a tested or currently supported television .............!!!

I have now written to Samsung. Watch this space!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gwyndy wrote: »
    Would you buy a car with square wheels and accept the manufacturer saying that it has nothing to do with them as the wheels are made by a third party?
    When you buy a Smart Phone (whether Android or Apple) do you expect the manufacturer to be responsible for all apps on that phone? Keep in mind, each has nearly a billion 3rd party apps.

No. I didn't think so, so why are Samsung TVs any different?
    The BBC iPlayer app is pre-installed on the Smart TVs and Samsung advertises that they have 'The best range of catch-up services'. Whilst Samsung did not develop the iPlayer app they surely have a duty to end users to ensure that it works properly on all the devices on which it is installed.

No, it's not pre-installed. It installs when you load up the Smart Hub for the first time.

Anyway, just as some PCs may come with various software installed, sometimes Skype, sometimes Facebook, sometimes anti-virus, it doesn't mean they are responsible. If you buy a Sony laptop which has Facebook already included, and Facebook update their software with an issue and this doesn't work any more, you can ring Sony as much as you like, but they don't make or maintain the Facebook application.
    The nonsensical conversation with one of the Samsung technical support people was entirely down to his own lack of awareness of complaints about the BBC iPlayer from people like me and yet he tried to tell me that his colleague didn't know what he was talking about!

Fair enough, but he/she was just human and probably not in a terribly well paid job anyway. Not everyone is perfect and although we all like to think giant big corporations should always be perfect, the fact is that they are still run by people like you and me, who, just like you and me, don't know everything all of the time, make mistakes and sometimes just have a bad day.
    Samsung is aware of the lip sync issue with the BBC iPlayer which is affecting some of their TVs. They have told me that the BBC is aware of the problem and is working on an update to the app, but the BBC has told me again that the Samsung UE32F5500 is not a tested or currently supported television .............!!!

Both sounds absolutely correct. The person at Samsung has told you that they notified the BBC that there is a problem with their widget, and the BBC most likely acknowledged there is a problem and that they are working on it.
    This person likely did not lie to you.

The BBC on the other hand looked up your television model and compared it to their chart, and then said that it is not yet certified. Which according to this chart, they are correct.

This doesn't mean that they are not working on it, as they may be, but this person who you spoke to, probably doesn't have authorization to discuss all their work schedules with a random member of the public.

Don't get me wrong. I sympathize with you
    , and I certainly hope things get sorted out as soon as possible for you. But when you describe the internal communications as "Can't make it up", it sounds quite typical, and despite being unhelpful, sort of expected for large companies - remember, the people the public speak to in large companies, are not the technicians or anyone near them.

Samsung are not all without fault here though and neither is the shop that sold you the TV if they claimed it was compatible with the BBC iPlayer (as according to the BBC's own website, this is not yet officially the case)

Samsung should not automatically install this widget until it is actually working properly, and the shop should take your TV back for a full refund.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do think that manufacturers should take responsibility for apps that they supply as part of their 'system'. Samsung uses the SmartHub facility as a key point in its marketing of its 'Smart' televisions and, indeed, prominently displays the BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, and other catch-up logos on its point of display material. If they cannot make these apps work properly on their TVs (be it a Samsung or a third party problem) then they should not use them.

Anyway, Samsung has now confirmed by letter that there is an issue with lip sync on the BBC iPlayer application and they tell me that 'they are working alongside the BBC to gain a resolution to this matter'. They cannot give a time scale for the 'fix'. (Strange that the BBC has not mentioned this in our exchange of correspondence!)

I would caution anyone considering a TV with catch-up facilities to check that these actually work before buying.

I am giving Samsung / BBC two weeks to resolve this issue. After that my set will be returned to the retailer for a full refund.
  • Options
    es6300es6300 Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    I do think that manufacturers should take responsibility for apps that they supply as part of their 'system'. Samsung uses the SmartHub facility as a key point in its marketing of its 'Smart' televisions and, indeed, prominently displays the BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, and other catch-up logos on its point of display material. If they cannot make these apps work properly on their TVs (be it a Samsung or a third party problem) then they should not use them.

Anyway, Samsung has now confirmed by letter that there is an issue with lip sync on the BBC iPlayer application and they tell me that 'they are working alongside the BBC to gain a resolution to this matter'. They cannot give a time scale for the 'fix'. (Strange that the BBC has not mentioned this in our exchange of correspondence!)

I would caution anyone considering a TV with catch-up facilities to check that these actually work before buying.

I am giving Samsung / BBC two weeks to resolve this issue. After that my set will be returned to the retailer for a full refund.

Samsung freesat TVs have the freesat logo - yet cannot implement ITV player via freesat channel 903.

Not a problem, as Samsung has it available vis its smart hub, but what if freesat launches another on demand service - will Samsung make this available via freesat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Medici TV (medici.tv) are a subscription classical concert channel which is available on the web, iPads etc. They announced in March 2013 that they were now also available as a custom App on Samsung SMART TVs
    I was wondering if the lipsync problem was present in this too. It would be easy to check since you don't need a subscription to watch its live concerts, just the recorded ones. I am listening to a live Beethoven concert as I type this.

I was thinking of buying a Samsung SMART TV just to get this but if the lipsync problem is present then I won't bother. Medici is a nice alternative to some SKY Arts content so much so that friends I know are thinking of cancelling their SKY subscription.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AliKelman wrote: »
    Medici TV (medici.tv) are a subscription classical concert channel which is available on the web, iPads etc. They announced in March 2013 that they were now also available as a custom App on Samsung SMART TVs
    I was wondering if the lipsync problem was present in this too. It would be easy to check since you don't need a subscription to watch its live concerts, just the recorded ones. I am listening to a live Beethoven concert as I type this.

I was thinking of buying a Samsung SMART TV just to get this but if the lipsync problem is present then I won't bother. Medici is a nice alternative to some SKY Arts content so much so that friends I know are thinking of cancelling their SKY subscription.

I can't help on this as I haven't tried the medici.tv app. However, I have only encountered the lip sync problem with the BBC iPlayer. ITV Player and 4OD seemed to work fine.

Incidentally, I have also had a problem with lip sync on live outside broadcasts on BBC2 HD via Freeview. The BBC has advised that they could not have caused this problem as they adhere to very strict broadcast parameters which require vision and audio to be in sync within a few milliseconds. I am at a loss to explain this!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Same issue as as you Gwyndy - did you get a fix or go for a refund?

I've had a Samsung 46F6400 since early July 2013 which has a 2 second audio-to-video lip sync delay on the iPlayer app and when playing a few videos via DLNA/Samsung Link, many are fine though over DLNA. Changing the audio delay on the TV doesn't fix it. Firmware updates don't fix it. UK Samsung support is worse than inept with many contradictions between support ops - I've been dealing with them for over 2 months now and it's embarrassing how bad they are. My TV is not even on the 'TV list' when contacting via email support (as of 14th Sept), so I just phone.

I keep getting told it's my ISP and to phone them, yet 30 Mb is going into the TV via Ethernet cable. A speed test on the integrated browser shows approx 1.5Mb so either Samsung servers or the TV itself is dropping the speed, but I don't believe this is the cause. Samsung can actually run a remote test on your TV to check the speed and other info as well.

If anyone can offer any further advice how to fix the problem that would be great, or the TV will have to go back which is a shame as Samsung at this point is the only manufacturer offering all catch-up services.

Thanks
  • Options
    tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Samsung Smart 3D Freeview HD & FreeSat HD TV and found that is to make sure the app's are updated that you use.
    I can not use the FreeSat system to play BBC Iplayer or ITV player, even with my TV linked by network cable and 120mb broadband service, But the App's work fine and have no trouble with lib sync....But I have trouble in the past with my Humax HDR ( Freeview & FreeSat ) boxes, Humax HD Freesat box, even my many types of cable boxes with players, even Tivo.

But given a day or update or both and they all work fine.

So I would make sure TV has the software updated and make sure that internet links are fine and power the tv off fully then plug in and try again and may be try another show that you have not tried before to see if it's the show or bbc...

Try the site for help
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/main/supportMain.do?supportIaCode=10003
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The last update version of the Samsung iPlayer app is end June 2013 so that may be the issue as discussed, it hasn't been updated since I've owned this TV.

Also to note, even if you have selected to "Auto Update" your apps, it doesn't work, you still have to manually update when a new release is issued.

I'll be switching back to LG as soon as they work out a deal with the other Catch-Up services.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could also try a full reset of the Smart Hub. This will delete all the apps and reinstall them from scratch. On some models you press the blue button, on others you use the "tools" menu. A full reset will take about 10minutes and you need to be connected to the Internet at the time.

(You may also have to manually log back in to services such as Netflix)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ovbg wrote: »
    You could also try a full reset of the Smart Hub. This will delete all the apps and reinstall them from scratch. On some models you press the blue button, on others you use the "tools" menu. A full reset will take about 10minutes and you need to be connected to the Internet at the time.

(You may also have to manually log back in to services such as Netflix)

Done. Samsung support tell you to do this post firmware update. I was finally told today that Samsung techies know about this issue on lower-end F series TV's only, so that may be progress. I pushed and finally have an engineer calling tomorrow to investigate the slow BB speeds inside the TV as this could be the problem.

Tribal, where I bought the TV say they've had no other people with such issues. And I've asked BBC today if they have plans to update the iPlayer app any time soon to see if this fixes the issue. I'll report back with any progress.

Thanks for all responses offering help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Samsung Engineer of course found nothing wrong and thinks its the BBC iPlayer app which is at fault, although he says he's never seen this issue before. However, Samsung support Monday said they are aware of this issue on lower end F series TV's, so again contradictions.

I now need to wait 7 days for a response from the engineer via Samsung tech. I'll report back what they find. Nothing back fri the BBC yet.

For anyone else with this issue I found a temp fix. Pause the programme playing in iPlayer and then click play, the lip sync on my TV at least, seems to improve, and/or click once on the rewind button to take it back slightly, this also improves it when it starts to play again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Same issue as as you Gwyndy - did you get a fix or go for a refund?
    I'm still hanging on in the hope that Samsung / BBC will fix the problem. The retailer is very understanding and working with me to try and get some sensible information from Samsung but even they are struggling! They will refund or exchange the TV but I need to make a decision fairly soon.
    The Samsung Engineer of course found nothing wrong and thinks its the BBC iPlayer app which is at fault, although he says he's never seen this issue before. However, Samsung support Monday said they are aware of this issue on lower end F series TV's, so again contradictions.

I now need to wait 7 days for a response from the engineer via Samsung tech. I'll report back what they find. Nothing back fri the BBC yet.

For anyone else with this issue I found a temp fix. Pause the programme playing in iPlayer and then click play, the lip sync on my TV at least, seems to improve, and/or click once on the rewind button to take it back slightly, this also improves it when it starts to play again.

I have had another letter from Samsung Customer Service. Quote - "... we are working with the BBC on this matter however we cannot guarantee the outcome. The unit itself does support BBC iPlayer as it is a third party application." (I'm not sure what that last sentence is supposed to mean.) Quote - "As a manufacturer, the unit is working under our specifications therefore we are unable to offer you any further assistance at this time."

Samsung's Customer Service is the worst that I have ever encountered. I actually don't believe that they are the slightest bit interested in fixing the iPlayer issue as their software development teams are undoubtedly working on the next generation of TVs. Their most recent letter is effectively 'go away and stop bothering us, we are not interested in your problem'.

There was another firmware update yesterday to version 1111.1. I have re-set the SmartHub and tried the iPlayer but no change. I had found your suggestion of pausing the iPlayer, Jason, but this seems to need to be done every 15 minutes or so in order to maintain the lip sync.

Samsung's internal communication seems to be somewhat lacking. During telephone conversations with their Customer Service people I have been variously told that there is and there isn't a problem with the iPlayer. That is why I resorted to writing to them. Your engineer obviously didn't know about the issue. It will be interesting to see what feedback you get following his visit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agree with everything you said Gwyndy. With regards the "fix" I did say "temporary". Better than nothing at this point. The Samsung engineer (from Martin Dawes) hasn't come back just yet, hopefully I'll get some feedback this week. My retailer Tribal is currently "Out of Stock" so I can't even try a replacement.

I've actually received a response from the BBC today, you've probably had the template email yourself saying that the TV is not supported yet, blah, blah. It's never their fault/problem. And it really annoys me how they treat people with such disdain, using a canned email response and no way to reply to keep the contact alive. They use a no reply email masked as one that works bbc_iplayer_website@bbc.co.uk... A-Holes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agree with everything you said Gwyndy. With regards the "fix" I did say "temporary". Better than nothing at this point. The Samsung engineer (from Martin Dawes) hasn't come back just yet, hopefully I'll get some feedback this week. My retailer Tribal is currently "Out of Stock" so I can't even try a replacement.

I've actually received a response from the BBC today, you've probably had the template email yourself saying that the TV is not supported yet, blah, blah. It's never their fault/problem. And it really annoys me how they treat people with such disdain, using a canned email response and no way to reply to keep the contact alive. They use a no reply email masked as one that works bbc_iplayer_website@bbc.co.uk... A-Holes!

Yes - I've had the 'Pontius Pilate' e-mails from the BBC - nothing to do with them as the TV is not on their iPlayer compatibility list, etc, etc.

Am now looking at possible replacements TVs from LG, Sony, and Panasonic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had an LG prior to the Samsung and iPlayer was faultless on that TV. Any ideas when the LG or other brands will be getting all of the Catch-Ups? If I knew I'd replace the Samsung.

Cheers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gwyndy, I've just spoken to the engineer who called out last week and he says Samsung are blaming the iPlayer app and are denying a problem, claiming that nobody else has reported the problem. The BBC are blaming Samsung. So now I'm out of options.

Do you and I have anything in common with our set-up?

- Samsung 46F6400
    - Sky Fibre 30 Mb/s
    - Connection from Router to TV via TP-Link Power Plugs & Wired Ethernet (7M distance)
    - TV Firmware 1112.2

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had an LG prior to the Samsung and iPlayer was faultless on that TV. Any ideas when the LG or other brands will be getting all of the Catch-Ups? If I knew I'd replace the Samsung.
    Cheers

Sorry, no idea of when the Samsung 'monopoly' on catch-up will end. I was just told by the retailer that it will be 'soon'.
    Gwyndy, I've just spoken to the engineer who called out last week and he says Samsung are blaming the iPlayer app and are denying a problem, claiming that nobody else has reported the problem. The BBC are blaming Samsung. So now I'm out of options.

Do you and I have anything in common with our set-up?

- Samsung 46F6400
    - Sky Fibre 30 Mb/s
    - Connection from Router to TV via TP-Link Power Plugs & Wired Ethernet (7M distance)
    - TV Firmware 1112.2

Thanks

I can't believe that Samsung is denying that no-one else has reported the problem! I have two letters from Samsung in which they acknowledge that there is a problem with lip sync on the BBC iPlayer and that they are working with the BBC to try and resolve the issue. I have written to the MD of Samsung UK as I am so annoyed at their appalling customer service.

My set up is -

Samsung UE32F5500
    BT Infinity ~40Mbps
    Wireless connection to router - approx. 4 mtrs (TV and router in same room)
    TV firmware 1111.1 (I'll check for update to 1111.2 tomorrow)

The only thing in common with our set-ups seems to be the name 'Samsung'!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BTW the 1112.2 update failed, hadn't realised when posting. I phoned Samsung again yesterday after posting and I was told to do a Factory Restore using the remote (Info > Menu > Mute > Power) in quick succession. Then on screen (Options > Right Arrow > Factory Reset > Right Arrow > Factory Reset). Apparently this is better than the "Reset" option in the Menu. However, the problem is still present post Factory Restore.

I was then told by the support guy that he has escalated this to the lead developer as it is something that they were aware of on previous models.

Agree, the support and constant contradictions from both Samsung and the BBC is shocking. Worse customer support I've experienced in a long time. Personally I'd like to switch back to LG, but not until all Catch-Ups are available. So for now I'll await a call back on Tuesday 1st Oct from the Samsung lead developer and then if the error cannot be fixed, I'll swap the TV with Tribal who have been pretty patient and understanding - now that they have new stock of this model.

I'll Update Tuesday.