Docor Who - too many episodes?

Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
Forum Member
Sorry - that is a bit mis-leading! I was referring back to the days of William and Patrick! In those days - they had episodes for most of the year (give or take a few weeks off) - it was like the soaps do now!
In the 70's - when Jon Pertwee arrived - they adjusted it to six-monthly series.
In the end it was just three months a year - at 25-minute episodes.

Nowadays it is 3 months a year - at 45 minute episodes! PLUS they always do a Christmas Special. So that is similar to the six-month stint that they used to do in the 70's.

As long as they maintain their stint at a FUll series in one go - I'll be happy...a full 12 episodes and a nice Christmas episode will suit me fine!
:p Well - that's MY opinion!!

Comments

• saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you know its misleading why not edit the title?
  • ClackersClackers Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every episode should be 1hr long, and at least 16 every series, plus an additional Christmas special.

No breaks, no halving the series, no years off.
  • Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    I think it's case of now -not enough. They still do less than the 70's when you work it out, it's about half the output in total time. I'd be a hell of a lot happier with the new Who if they slowed the pace down a bit, added more tension and time for secondary character development, and they do this by having a lot less 1 part episodes & have more double episodes. Not only will this assist as stated above but it will leave you guessing, hmm is this going to be a cliff hanger double episode? Added to this they wouldn't have to come up with any more stories per season, & costs wouldn't be hugely greater as a result.
    New Who is like 20-20 cricket to me -wham, bam its all over with little in the way of tension build up or ebbs and flows in pace allowed. Rather. give me test cricket (& old Who) any day if I had a choice, thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Clackers wrote: »
    Every episode should be 1hr long, and at least 16 every series, plus an additional Christmas special.

No breaks, no halving the series, no years off.

That sounds about bang on!
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    If you know its misleading why not edit the title?

I'm not clever enough to do that Salad!!
    I think people have got the gist of it anyway ;-)

Personally, I think it should be One Hour episodes for a full 12 week series (or season :p) plus the Xmas special! And that's it until the next series (season :p).

I'd be quite happy with that! :) Am I asking for much??
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Personally, I think it should be One Hour episodes for a full 12 week series (or season :p) plus the Xmas special! And that's it until the next series (season :p).

Thats 2h and 15min extra per season, on top of the usual 45min 13 ep season!

Oh and you could always use the alert button on your first post in this thread and use it to ask the mods to change the title.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dunno. Some episodes deserve an hour. Others don't. I would welcome it being more flexible so an episode can be between 45- 1 hour. The Saturday schedule is always quite fluid anyway so it could be done. I'm just not sure if more is always best as I can think of a few episodes that would have really dragged if longer. And at the same time a few that could've been twice as long. I suppose if they knew they were writing an hour it would be a different story.

It does seem odd that the BBC seem to have reached this 45 minute time limit for their 'family' dramas and yet the 21:00 slot shows get the full hour.

Why is this I wonder? I know people cite the international broadcast thing allowing for adverts but does the BBC not sell any of its 1 hour episode dramas abroad?

I see no reason why they can't mix it up a bit so one episode is 45 and another 55 depending on what is required.