Options

Supersize vs Superskinny

BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
Forum Member
✭✭
I find this show interesting sometimes, showing the two ends of the weight spectrum and letting them see how unhealthy their diet is by making someone else eat what they eat.

What I don't get is why they bother sending the supersize person to America. Surely they could save money and find an equally obese person in the UK to give them a 'wake-up call'.

:confused:

Maybe they could coordinate with the Big Body Squad show.

Comments

• Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I find this show interesting sometimes, showing the two ends of the weight spectrum and letting them see how unhealthy their diet is by making someone else eat what they eat.

What I don't get is why they bother sending the supersize person to America. Surely they could save money and find an equally obese person in the UK to give them a 'wake-up call'.

:confused:

Maybe they could coordinate with the Big Body Squad show.

I find it interesting too but I don't get that they say both participants eating habits are bad, but then force the underweight person to eat the massive and unhealthy meals while starving the overweight person with small or no meals. Crash dieting or extreme eating is not good for anybody.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it interesting too but I don't get that they say both participants eating habits are bad, but then force the underweight person to eat the massive and unhealthy meals while starving the overweight person with small or no meals. Crash dieting or extreme eating is not good for anybody.

I think the intent is to have the other person watch the reaction of their partner when faced with their restrictive/fattening diet. It's meant to reinforce just how unhealthy their eating habits are, people often don't see it until someone else has to do it.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last one I saw, the 'super skinny' person wasn't that skinny, weighing 8 stone 3 pounds. That's not an unhealthily low weight. Her diet was poor, though.

That makes me think they should make it more about having a healthy diet, not the weight of the people concerned. I mean, the skinny one could succeed in gaining loads of weight through eating really bad food.
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    Used to like the show but it has got very lazy and stale and is far too long.

Without all the 'coming up' 'before the break' 'meanwhile back at the feeding clinic' type links you could easily fit the show in to 30mins instead of an hour.
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's pretty much the same episode each week lol. Just a different fatty eating 12 curries and a different stick living off a cup of tea and a rich tea
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to like the show but it has got very lazy and stale and is far too long.

Without all the 'coming up' 'before the break' 'meanwhile back at the feeding clinic' type links you could easily fit the show in to 30 mins instead of an hour.

I agree with that. They should consider giving a bit of insight into what the diet plans consist of for the two participants. I suppose they want the diets to feel personalized and not suggest anyone watching follow them without consulting a doctor first.
  • Options
    SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to watch this years ago, but found it abhorrent that they would take unflattering close-up images of the "skinny" people (usually young girls) to prove how ugly they are. Just in case the media hadn't hammered home enough that skinny people are disgusting and deserve to be bullied. It's as though they think that, simply by being skinny (deliberate or not), the young girls are making a statement that they think they are perfectly beautiful. The fact that they are going on the show for help to gain weight isn't enough - they're still forced to justify their appearance, and concede that they are hideous. I find it disgusting that they are reducing their weight troubles to appearances, and using the young girls' looks against them as a motivator. Not mentally healthy.

It's interesting that this odious treatment isn't given to the obese people. Their precious feelings must be spared, lest the idea that they are anything less than gorgeous enters their heads.

Some of the "skinnies" aren't that skinny anyway, whereas most of the fatties are very obese. Society has a skewed perception of what's "normal" these days because 60% of adults are overweight. Overweight is normal, obese is "curvy", normal is skinny, and slim is hideously anorexic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Squatch wrote: »
    I used to watch this years ago, but found it abhorrent that they would take unflattering close-up images of the "skinny" people (usually young girls) to prove how ugly they are. Just in case the media hadn't hammered home enough that skinny people are disgusting and deserve to be bullied. It's as though they think that, simply by being skinny (deliberate or not), the young girls are making a statement that they think they are perfectly beautiful. The fact that they are going on the show for help to gain weight isn't enough - they're still forced to justify their appearance, and concede that they are hideous. I find it disgusting that they are reducing their weight troubles to appearances, and using the young girls' looks against them as a motivator. Not mentally healthy.

It's interesting that this odious treatment isn't given to the obese people. Their precious feelings must be spared, lest the idea that they are anything less than gorgeous enters their heads.

Some of the "skinnies" aren't that skinny anyway, whereas most of the fatties are very obese. Society has a skewed perception of what's "normal" these days because 60% of adults are overweight. Overweight is normal, obese is "curvy", normal is skinny, and slim is hideously anorexic.

I haven't seen that in any of the episodes I've watched. :confused:

I agree that it shouldn't be about weight entirely, but about healthy eating. Are the contestants on the show people who are asking for help? Wouldn't that mean they believe they're probably too thin? And it would only make sense that you're going to see a lot more seriously obese people on the show, a person can weigh twice as much as they should, but you're not going to find a thin person to that extreme, weighing half as much as they should, it's not possible.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squatch wrote: »

I agree, particularly with your last paragraph.

Also, the supersize person on the programme is rewarded with a trip to the States. :confused:
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    I think it's boring now. Used to like the 'feeding tubes' which showed the daily intake. I agree it's too long and I would like more on healthy eating, excerise etc.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This weeks American girl was tragic. I've heard of blokes feeding up women before but I've not heard of someone making the personal choice to feed themselves up with the goal of getting as big as possible.

Agree with posts above that it's boring now. I actually miss The Biggest Loser. I always liked that show.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just why does this American lady want to get any bigger?
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's usually a sexual thing, feeding. There will be men queuing up to have sex with her :(
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some deep rooted issue I'm thinking. And I don't believe her if she's suggesting she hasn't been told by a doctor her size is a health problem. She either isn't going to see a doctor or she's not being honest about what they tell her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That beefburger toastie looks rather nice...:blush:
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm amazed that anyone the size of Nikki can still be alive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    It's usually a sexual thing, feeding. There will be men queuing up to have sex with her :(
    Some deep rooted issue I'm thinking. And I don't believe her if she's suggesting she hasn't been told by a doctor her size is a health problem. She either isn't going to see a doctor or she's not being honest about what they tell her.

Just bizarre, she can barely get around I couldn't bare the thought of having my 'personal' care being done by someone else!
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree the programme is very formulaic but I do find it strangely compulsive viewing!
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vixyvic wrote: »
    I agree the programme is very formulaic but I do find it strangely compulsive viewing!

I agree. Me and my son watch every week and wait patiently for the "DIABETIC FOOT" shot.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see how giving Jackie a diet of 2000 calories per day (the recommended amount for a woman) is going to help her lose weight.

Surely she has to eat fewer calories than she needs per day so that her body starts burning the fat for energy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the bigger you are, the easier it is to lose weight as it takes much more energy for a very overweight person just to move around. They probably have to ease it in gently anyway, otherwise she'd be doomed to fail.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's boring now. Used to like the 'feeding tubes' which showed the daily intake. I agree it's too long and I would like more on healthy eating, excerise etc.

I loved the feeding tubes.

Does anyone remember the guy last year/year before. He was broader than he was tall, he's now a healthy weight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    I don't see how giving Jackie a diet of 2000 calories per day (the recommended amount for a woman) is going to help her lose weight.

Surely she has to eat fewer calories than she needs per day so that her body starts burning the fat for energy.

She probably needs more cals than the average woman at the start of her new diet as she is larger than average, she will probably have to cut down as she loses weight.
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you just see that skinny woman from next week?? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've been trailing that woman who looks like a skull on a stick for weeks now.