Options

Are You Addicted to Sugar? Channel 4 20:00 Monday

BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone watch this? :)

I thought it was pretty good, especially the part where it showed how vested interests can potentially influence scientific studies that determine safe levels of food/additives and how those studies go on to influence public policy and health advice.:)

I didn't really like the way it suggested that people weren't responsible for their own obesity though. Instead of finding blame, it would be better to work toward making changes, part of which involves getting the food industry to be more honest about labeling and giving more serious thought to how much sugar is in our foods.

There are differing opinions on whether sugar is 'addictive' in the same way that drugs or alcohol can be addictive, but some studies have shown that it does stimulate the same part of the brain.

Comments

• Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recently I've started looking at ingredients lists of food products, & have to say I'm rather shocked at sugar figuring so high in savoury products. Two of my favourite things are sugar free: Sunwheel fruit spread (alternative to jam) and Naked bars. The child did not like Innocent smoothies :o - they're gorgeous, I'd drink more of them if they were cheaper.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    The whole food labelling business needs to be looked at. At the moment it's in tiny print that's difficult to read and often gives the amount of sugar per 100 grms as opposed to just telling you the amount of sugar contained in the jar or tin you're actually buying. It can make a trip to the supermarket very complicated if you're constantly having to scrutinise the small print and then try and do rough calculations in your head.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    One of those crappy preacher docs with equal bias as the pro-sugar industry it was fighting...

in the beginning when he asks a doctor why people crave sugar she didn't know. This was masked through the whole doc.

Its a known "cave man" response... Sugars are found naturally in fruits and sweet veg etc. These things also have good carbohydrates. The body rewards itself for finding these things and eating them..

This should have been established in the beginning. Any nutritionist worth there money would know sugars are a carbohydrate providing the body with a energy hit. There's also the complex process where too much sugar and refined carbs leads to the body putting on fat.

People are overweight because they eat too much crap and don't do exercise. Didn't like how they were avoiding pinning the blame on the fatty.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm catching up with this later today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    One of those crappy preacher docs with equal bias as the pro-sugar industry it was fighting...

in the beginning when he asks a doctor why people crave sugar she didn't know. This was masked through the whole doc.

Its a known "cave man" response... Sugars are found naturally in fruits and sweet veg etc. These things also have good carbohydrates. The body rewards itself for finding these things and eating them..

This should have been established in the beginning. Any nutritionist worth there money would know sugars are a carbohydrate providing the body with a energy hit. There's also the complex process where too much sugar and refined carbs leads to the body putting on fat.

People are overweight because they eat too much crap and don't do exercise. Didn't like how they were avoiding pinning the blame on the fatty.

I agree with some of your points. I wish it could have been an hour-long program to go more in-depth into the issues you brought up. There is an evolutionary reason why our brains like sweet things, the problem is that there is now an over-abundance of sweet things available. When we were hunters/gatherers, fruits or berries (for example) would have been relatively scarce, whereas now a trip to the local shop/supermarket, one would find it difficult NOT to find an abundance of them, not to mention candy and fizzy drinks.

What I hope this whole movement (if it is one) doesn't lead to is things being pumped full of artificial sweeteners instead of sugar. I don't see that as an improvement, too many studies say that it's not healthy and the ones that do approve its use are often funded by vested interests. In my mind the jury is still out. Stevia is a possible replacement, but again, I don't feel I know enough about it yet.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I think cutting down on processed foods is part of the solution. When processed stuff claims to be 'low fat' or 'sugar free' you usually find the manufacturers have compensated by loading it with something else that's equally detrimental to our health.
    I think the whole dying art of cooking needs to be reignited and we need to stop automatically reaching for a jar of pasta sauce or buying prepackaged sandwiches, packed with sugar and salt.
  • Options
    dizziedizzie Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The programme was interesting, but the message was flawed in it's delivery - like others have said, a half hour programme wasn't long enough to delve into this. As for the nutritionist who claimed not to know why people crave sugar, I started questioning her qualifications at that point! I'm a pharmacologist, and I was taught in basic neurobiology about the brain's responses to different foods and drugs. We DO naturally crave sugar, as a species. The message should have been about how we get 'natural' sugar, instead of the added sugar of processed foods, but I think the message got very muddied in it's delivery.

It wasn't helped by the pseudo-political nature of the journo's agenda, who wanted a 'Big Bad Guy' and, in doing so, found a way to excuse every obese person for their 'addiction'. Of course, the food manufacturers, supermarkets and brand advertisers are culpable, but they just didn't spend enough time on the low sugar diet information. Mostly, we got the little kids shrieking in horror as their favourite snacks were taken away!

A good start, but too little information actually imparted. BTW, the guy of the 'Sugar Council' thingy - noting that half the committee had declared vested interests seemed to brush over the fact that half had NONE. As someone working in science, in particular the pharmaceutical industry, the idea that they have half with no vested interests is remarkable! People need to realise that this is the standard operating procedure of most governmental bodies, that the people at the top of their non-profit field will inevitably have dealings with the for-profit sector. They can't exist in a vacuum and still be expected to be the experts in their field - no matter what the subject. But it made for a splendidly awkward interview, where the journo looked hard-assed and investigative, so I suppose his job was done!
  • Options
    able1able1 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dizzie wrote: »
    The programme was interesting, but the message was flawed in it's delivery - like others have said, a half hour programme wasn't long enough to delve into this. As for the nutritionist who claimed not to know why people crave sugar, I started questioning her qualifications at that point! I'm a pharmacologist, and I was taught in basic neurobiology about the brain's responses to different foods and drugs. We DO naturally crave sugar, as a species. The message should have been about how we get 'natural' sugar, instead of the added sugar of processed foods, but I think the message got very muddied in it's delivery.

It wasn't helped by the pseudo-political nature of the journo's agenda, who wanted a 'Big Bad Guy' and, in doing so, found a way to excuse every obese person for their 'addiction'. Of course, the food manufacturers, supermarkets and brand advertisers are culpable, but they just didn't spend enough time on the low sugar diet information. Mostly, we got the little kids shrieking in horror as their favourite snacks were taken away!

A good start, but too little information actually imparted. BTW, the guy of the 'Sugar Council' thingy - noting that half the committee had declared vested interests seemed to brush over the fact that half had NONE. As someone working in science, in particular the pharmaceutical industry, the idea that they have half with no vested interests is remarkable! People need to realise that this is the standard operating procedure of most governmental bodies, that the people at the top of their non-profit field will inevitably have dealings with the for-profit sector. They can't exist in a vacuum and still be expected to be the experts in their field - no matter what the subject. But it made for a splendidly awkward interview, where the journo looked hard-assed and investigative, so I suppose his job was done!

The nutritionist was a doctor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I may watch it on iPlayer. I have a real savoury tooth myself.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I disagree with sugar being labeled as bad - it's one of life's pleasures, in moderation - I can believe that with the amount of 'hidden' sugar in savoury foods and drinks, we are eating far too much of it and it's getting addictive, though I doubt it's as addictive as alcohol and drugs. Half the time people aren't even aware of how much they're eating, it's even found in some types of plain bread and it's no wonder some people are now concerned about the sugar industry getting out of control.

My grandparents ate sugary treats all their lives but crucially, they weren't eating ready meals packed with 'hidden' sugars but were making more of their meals from scratch.
  • Options
    HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A hugely biased programme with no scientific evidence to back many of the claims made regarding sugar.

Regardless of the fact the same link as heroin could not be provided regarding addiction, the journalist appeared to persist with that assumption.

The nutritionalist claimed belief in sugar causing metabolic mayhem without evidence. Whilst this went unchallenged, they tried to do a hatchet job on the government advisor who said quite the contrary. I'm sat here wanting to know if the nutritionalist might have vested interest himself, yet this wasn't explored.

The simple fact is that alomst anything overconsumed will lead to weight gain, that goes too for complex carbohydrates. The focus, like others here have pointed out, should have been on product labelling and sugar being "hidden" in food. This programme tried to imply sugar is some kind of poison, erroneously so.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good thing I didn't watch this. The key is moderation and to trust your tastebuds and also to see ready meals as a treat not a staple.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This demonisation of sugar will surely end in unpleasantness. Like a tax.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    This demonisation of sugar will surely end in unpleasantness. Like a tax.

I'd rather they tax sugar, sweets and fizzy drinks than tax bedrooms.
  • Options
    HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather they tax sugar, sweets and fizzy drinks than tax bedrooms.

I'd sooner they tax the people that can actually afford it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helicase wrote: »
    A hugely biased programme with no scientific evidence to back many of the claims made regarding sugar.

Regardless of the fact the same link as heroin could not be provided regarding addiction, the journalist appeared to persist with that assumption.

The nutritionalist claimed belief in sugar causing metabolic mayhem without evidence. Whilst this went unchallenged, they tried to do a hatchet job on the government advisor who said quite the contrary. I'm sat here wanting to know if the nutritionalist might have vested interest himself, yet this wasn't explored.

The simple fact is that almost anything overconsumed will lead to weight gain, that goes too for complex carbohydrates. The focus, like others here have pointed out, should have been on product labeling and sugar being "hidden" in food. This programme tried to imply sugar is some kind of poison, erroneously so.

Are you referring to Dr. Robert Lustig? I thought perhaps the host of the program assumed that many viewers knew about his viewpoints already via youtube. I have seen some of his videos/lectures but I don't think he's that well-known by the general public.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Helicase wrote: »
    I'd sooner they tax the people that can actually afford it.

People can't afford sweets, sugar or fizzy drinks?

Much as I'd love to see the rich taxed more, surely a choice between bedrooms and junk food, it is junk food that needs to be taxed?
  • Options
    BlisterBlister Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    The discussion with Professor Ian MacDonald was very worrying. The corruption is sickening. Most of the panel that is meant to advise the government on sugar and how to tackle obesity receive funding from Coca Cola, Mars, Ben & Jerry's, Pot Noodle, The Sugar Bureau, and chocolate manufacturers. What an absolute joke. I don't know how anyone could deny that there is an agenda there, and that the truth will have a hard time getting out or getting anywhere near policy. But it's been that way for decades, and we're only now questioning it when it's too late and more than 2/3 are overweight.
  • Options
    DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hidden and added sugars are a big problem, and of course no one should be living on a diet of Mars bars and cupcakes, but the OTT demonising of sugar is just silly. There seems to be countless articles and books on this subject at the minute; I read an article the other day which said to give up fruit completely as it contains too much sugar (fructose) and is therefore bad for you. Well sorry, but I've no intention of giving up eating fruit, nor do I intend denying myself the occasional piece of apple tart or or bowl of ice cream. It's always the same - instead of giving the public some sensible advice about moderation, it's straight into shock horror mode and this stuff is poison, etc. We all know people will continue to eat chocolate and cakes, they're not going to stop doing so no matter what the 'experts' say. I agree that manufacturers should try to cut down unnecessary sugars in their products as much as possible, and there should be clear labelling on packaging, but a lot of handwringing over every form of sugar or sweetness won't stop people from enjoying cakes, confectionary, etc.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dimsie wrote: »
    Hidden and added sugars are a big problem, and of course no one should be living on a diet of Mars bars and cupcakes, but the OTT demonising of sugar is just silly. There seems to be countless articles and books on this subject at the minute; I read an article the other day which said to give up fruit completely as it contains too much sugar (fructose) and is therefore bad for you. Well sorry, but I've no intention of giving up eating fruit, nor do I intend denying myself the occasional piece of apple tart or or bowl of ice cream. It's always the same - instead of giving the public some sensible advice about moderation, it's straight into shock horror mode and this stuff is poison, etc. We all know people will continue to eat chocolate and cakes, they're not going to stop doing so no matter what the 'experts' say. I agree that manufacturers should try to cut down unnecessary sugars in their products as much as possible, and there should be clear labelling on packaging, but a lot of handwringing over every form of sugar or sweetness won't stop people from enjoying cakes, confectionary, etc.

I quite agree.

My grandparents had a balanced diet ( including cakes and biscuits ) made a lot of their dinners from scratch ( so no ready meals with hidden sugar ) and were more active than the average adult today. My granddad made it to 91 before dying from lung cancer and my nana is still going at 88. Yes, your genes play a role in how long you live but to suggest sugar is as harmful as drugs and booze is ridiculous.

I do think hidden sugars in ready meals and drinks are a problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dimsie wrote: »
    Hidden and added sugars are a big problem, and of course no one should be living on a diet of Mars bars and cupcakes, but the OTT demonising of sugar is just silly. There seems to be countless articles and books on this subject at the minute; I read an article the other day which said to give up fruit completely as it contains too much sugar (fructose) and is therefore bad for you. Well sorry, but I've no intention of giving up eating fruit, nor do I intend denying myself the occasional piece of apple tart or or bowl of ice cream. It's always the same - instead of giving the public some sensible advice about moderation, it's straight into shock horror mode and this stuff is poison, etc. We all know people will continue to eat chocolate and cakes, they're not going to stop doing so no matter what the 'experts' say. I agree that manufacturers should try to cut down unnecessary sugars in their products as much as possible, and there should be clear labeling on packaging, but a lot of hand-wringing over every form of sugar or sweetness won't stop people from enjoying cakes, confectionery, etc.

I agree, we don't need to eliminate sugar completely, as an attempt to do this would likely result in things being plugged with artificial garbage instead.

Moderation is, as usual, the key to it, but the problem for many people is that the sugar is in so many things that getting a 'moderate' amount is more difficult and involves some mental gymnastics with regard to labels.

On a related note, did anyone see the segment on the morning show (yesterday?) where they were discussing whether energy drinks should be not allowed to be sold to kids under a certain age, and they shouldn't be advertised for that age group either? I daresay most kids these days aren't active enough to warrant having 'energy' drinks anyway.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As ever, people will fall for the harmful?... let's tax it! scam.

When has that ever reduced the actual behaviour?

In fact taxes on such things simply ring-fence the behaviour and guarantee that no future government will seriously act to reduce some "harmful" behaviour. If anything they use such taxes as a cash cow and ramp up the tax.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Recently I've started looking at ingredients lists of food products, & have to say I'm rather shocked at sugar figuring so high in savoury products. Two of my favourite things are sugar free: Sunwheel fruit spread (alternative to jam) and Naked bars. The child did not like Innocent smoothies :o - they're gorgeous, I'd drink more of them if they were cheaper.

I'd wager that both of those things are loaded with sugar, but it's fructose rather than sucrose. Naked bars are sweetened with a heck of a lot of dates. Fructose is still bad for blood sugar levels and can be a problem for diabetics because it's hidden in 'healthy' fruit and veg. Yes, it's better to have those than things with lots of added sucrose sugar but the whole issue is quite complicated. No wonder consumers get confused!