Steven – High Functioning Sociopath?

Comments

• patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely forgot about Callum. Yes, he was controlling and creepy. I definitely think Steven has some sort of personality disorder. He just did not get anything that was being said to him about how he turns everything round to being about him. I think they could have talked to him for hours, showed him clips of his behaviour and he still wouldn't get it. I would not be at all surprised if he was a sociopath. On the surface there is a charm he uses on people but it somehow does not reach his eyes. If anyone saw the clips of the chat show where he is talking about his relationship with the married woman and you listen to his version of what happend but if you watch it wondering how much is true and what the woman in questions version would be, with the knowledge of him in the house it takes on a whole different slant. I think Kim should be very careful if she really does want a relationship with him because I don't think he is what she thinks he is.
  • 88Paul9988Paul99 Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caroline yes, not sure about Callum, Lee (Blue) on CBB, there have been many over the years. The percentage in BB, and in media generally, is higher than average.
  • pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "In his line of work as a businessman sociopaths are common"

I have yet to meet an electronic blinds salesman who isn't a complete lunatic.

funniest thing I shall read today .....probably :D:D:D
  • PercyBysshePercyBysshe Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Ashleigh is the most machiavellian housemate. >:(
  • yogacatsyogacats Posts: 6,954
    Forum Member
    Does everyone even understand what you're saying to 'diagnose' someone thus?! My mind boggles!

I don't think anyone is 'diagnosing'. It's not a mental illness .... it's a personality disorder made up of a cluster of behaviours - Steven has many of them.
    Forum Member
    yogacats wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is 'diagnosing'. It's not a mental illness .... it's a personality disorder made up of a cluster of behaviours - Steven has many of them.

So does Ashleigh.
  • 88Paul9988Paul99 Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So does Ashleigh.

nonsense
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He looks like he has been raised with a sense of self importance, he cannot grasp why anyone would not like him, his attitude of 'how dare anyone nominate me' showed that.

I thought Chris summed him up to a T. He has no humility, is always right, and must be insufferable to be around. I blame the parents!
    Forum Member
    Traits of a sociopath:

1. Lack of shame.
    2. Constantly lying.
    3. Able to stay eerily calm in spite of circumstances.
    4. Extremely charming -- at first.
    5. Exceptionally intelligent.
    6. Manipulative.
    7. Violent behavior.
    8. Huge ego.
    10. Makes uninterrupted eye contact.
    11. Few real friends.
    12. Likes to isolate you.
    13. Immature.
    14. Needy.
  • keeping_it_realkeeping_it_real Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Traits of a sociopath:

1. Lack of shame.
    2. Constantly lying.
    3. Able to stay eerily calm in spite of circumstances.
    4. Extremely charming -- at first.
    5. Exceptionally intelligent.
    6. Manipulative.
    7. Violent behavior.
    8. Huge ego.
    10. Makes uninterrupted eye contact.
    11. Few real friends.
    12. Likes to isolate you.
    13. Immature.
    14. Needy.

Steven. Though I draw the line at intelligent.
  • white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R82n8 wrote: »

Spot on, though I agree also with the 'sociopath' description. But he's also kidding himself about, well, EVERYTHING: his success as a top businessman, his judgement of character, his making excellent choices 100% of the time, and never taking aboard ANY criticisms at all--even his clear snot-picking he 'cleansed' away to be 'just nose hair' despite film evidence to the contrary. At his age he should be LISTENING more and thereby improving himself to be the sort of person he fantasizes he is!! He has the mindset of a 55yr old.
  • white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    88Paul99 wrote: »
    OP is right. A giveaway came early on when it was announced as part of a task that at 4 Steven pretended to his school that his house had burnt down and tried to collect money off the back of it.

Yes, that WAS interesting--I attributed it to his basic Greed and acquisitiveness by any means with no concern for others' possible feelings and lack of conscience at screwing over decent people, which is probably OK for a Business career these days. But, it IS more worrying than that!
    Forum Member
    So does Ashleigh.

That's rubbish - sorry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    At the moment he lives in his bubble where the central image is the person he wants to be. The nose picking and general nervous picking at his skin shows that he is quite an anxious sort of guy. Not a horrid man, just a tad insecure for whatever reason he has. His crutch is his work and in the house he didn't have that. I wish him well.

:)That's pretty much how I see him. He came across as the biggest plonker in the house this year, but he's not *bad*, and certainly not abusive. He's definitely young enough to adapt if he wants.
    Forum Member
    Val_Beam wrote: »

Good lord ... sums up my sociopathic ex TO A TEE!!!!!!
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paralax wrote: »
    He looks like he has been raised with a sense of self importance, he cannot grasp why anyone would not like him, his attitude of 'how dare anyone nominate me' showed that.

I thought Chris summed him up to a T. He has no humility, is always right, and must be insufferable to be around. I blame the parents!

And he blamed his eviction on the editing.
  • Val_BeamVal_Beam Posts: 3,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yogacats wrote: »
    Good lord ... sums up my sociopathic ex TO A TEE!!!!!!
    Poor you if you've had one of those in your life:o What was it steven said when he learned his beloved kim wouldn't be returning to the house...Ah Poor cow..charming lol.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So does Ashleigh.

and again, :D:D Hilarious at this stage.
  • delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Low functioning sociopath, more like.
    Very low!
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Word of advice to the OP, you should log out and in to your other account before you post to agree with yourself :D

No idea whether Steven is a sociopath, I'm not qualified in such areas but if you want my two pennorth worth I just think he's a self entitled, full of himself, bell end.
  • amiableamiable Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    To anyone wondering why I agreed with my own post, I was joking because no one had responded to my thread for such a long time, so I was attempting to be humorous! I am sad enough to post about a big brother housemate being a sociopath but not sad enough to genuinely agree with myself :)
  • Val_BeamVal_Beam Posts: 3,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amiable wrote: »
    To anyone wondering why I agreed with my own post, I was joking because no one had responded to my thread for such a long time, so I was attempting to be humorous! I am sad enough to post about a big brother housemate being a sociopath but not sad enough to genuinely agree with myself :)
    I never noticed to be fair,now i'm going to have to go back and have a look lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BIB - 10 minutes?
  • ruffleruffle Posts: 4,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bear with me, I know of countless times on this forum when others have accused a person of having a certain disorder and in most cases this seems unlikely. However, seeing Steven’s eviction, and in particular his interview with Emma had me thinking. Emma usually speaks of housemates who seem pretty tough, physically shaking and crying before and after the interview. When Steven was being interviewed he was completely calm. No trace of adrenaline or nerves. Even watching the clip of him having sex with Kim did not deter his blank expression. In his line of work as a businessman sociopaths are common, and that is how they are able to be so ruthless in business. Even Ian Lee who hated Steven said on BOTS tonight that he is a decent guy in person (the ability to charm in small doses?) He was actually very popular in the house until the housemates realised how unpopular he was with the public.

Anyway, I came across this website: http://www.decision-making-confidence.com/sociopath-traits.html and have picked out a few things that match Steven’s description:

1) ‘They may exhibit rage, or shallow moods of self-pity and shallow poses of indignation, but wholehearted anger, deep joy and genuine despair are not available. Humour they can feign, but they never have.’ -

Even when Steven was ‘in love’ he never once seemed to have that sense of joy, and when the love of his life left he was more concerned with his sandwich. All his emotions are shallow. He was shown to be most upset in the early weeks when he was nominated and getting consoled by Pauline, more so than he ever cried for his true love

2) ‘has no ability to see himself as others see him. Or rather, he has no ability to know how others feel when they see him. Again, this is something that he can pretend, because he has read about it. He can use all the words, and define all the words, but remains blind to what they mean.’

E.g. ‘I’m the least controlling person you could ever meet in your life’ saying the right thing, his actions speak otherwise. Has no concept of how controlling he was towards Kim.

IN PARTICULAR:
    3) ‘Remember that they cannot love, so sexual aims don't seem to include any important personality relations or any great desire to share an intimate experience. Sex is limited to literal physical contact with none of the emotional aspects that make adult love relations so thrilling and indescribable.’ AND ‘It's very likely nowadays that many psychopaths have realized intimate sexual contact is a great way to control others. Once a person has given up their intimacy, they have surrendered everything.’

Need I say more? Did anyone see any genuine emotional connection in that 22 second encounter? Or was it a way of gaining absolute control?

4) ‘The degree of egocentricity can be astonishing. Sometimes they can hide it but careful observation shows it to be unmodifiable and complete. Hervey Cleckley says it can best be expressed by saying that it is an incapacity to love, and in Cleckley's experience with well marked psychopaths, this incapacity is absolute.’ ...
    ‘ Even when they say they love someone, their actions in relation to the financial, emotional and physical problems they cause for this person, exposes their true attitude.’

I totally agree I think it has been evident for a while with Steven the one. Am not sure about is Kim's reactions both in the house and out she seamed to fnd it difficult to connect in a productive manor plus she can't see what most of us have seen