Options

Is Corrie boring everybody else or it just me?

Comments

• Options
    James_LanganJames_Langan Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's been crap since Kylie's death. The stuff tonight was the worst I think I've ever seen, even worse than the episode with someone sat on a chimney all night. Miss Hell is not appealing or enjoyable to watch at the best of times, but urgh, the way she was going around telling the whole neighbourhood she was in her 'fertile stage' and waiting for Steve was both ridiculous and revolting>:( Who the hell tells all and sundry their primed for banging FFS? And who in the right mind would want to know?:o Liz and the regulars were having a good old chinwag about it in the pub as if they were discussing cake recipes while Miss Hell acted like a bitch in heat, dashing about everywhere telling anyone who'd listen she was 'ready' and desperate to find Steve! She wasn't even trying to be subtle, if she'd had a tail it would have been lifted right over to one side tonight she was being that obvious!:blush:

"Primed for banging". 😀 😀 😀 that's all I can say on that one.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What rubbish !
    To defend Mark, he isn't a long term viewer like many of us. He never saw Corrie back in it's good days. So he is entitled to think this, even if we disagree. So he has nothing to compare it to like us long timers.
  • Options
    benjwx1benjwx1 Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member
    James J wrote: »
    Really think Mary's mother should turn up and give us insights into Mary's character.

With a spritely older actress this could help spruce up the older cast and offer a new Blanche/Sylvia character.

Mary's mother is dead http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Mary_Taylor
  • Options
    DippydollyDippydolly Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, i've lost all interest in it, i really don't mind missing episodes of it at all and i have watched it for nearly 40 years.

I can't stand Maria full stop, Eva's stupid put on laugh that features far too much, don't like Izzy, Zeedan (sulky little boy), David and his horrible circle mouth, Tyrone...the list is endless for me, sorry.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been wanting Maria to be in the spotlight for a while. And now they have, they go and give her a Single White Female-esque storyline. Yawn.
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben96 wrote: »

I could have sworn Mary just said that but it turned out she was lying and her mother was actually alive?
  • Options
    benjwx1benjwx1 Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member
    I could have sworn Mary just said that but it turned out she was lying and her mother was actually alive?

Oh, maybe then, I don't know, was that recently? I haven't watched for a few weeks It's been so boring.
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    I have been wanting Maria to be in the spotlight for a while. And now they have, they go and give her a Single White Female-esque storyline. Yawn.

I'm actually quite looking forward to that when it starts as it will be at least something different for her but I hope it isn't going to be
    used as just a tool towards her & Aidan having a full blown affair when he & Eva take her in after the Caz stuff kicks off
    That really would be a yawn!!
    Would have preferred a character played by someone who can act as opposed to Caz for Samia to be working with but I guess you can't have everything!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    The problem with casting Mary's mother is that most of the people you can imagine in the part have already been in Corrie : Gwen Taylor (there's even a resemblance), Sue Johnson, Susie Blake, Maureen Lipman, Stephanie Cole.

Is there anyone else who could fill the role?

Just realised : Zoe Wanamaker or Rosemary Leach.

Julie Walters, she'd be brilliant and she's stated in the past she'd love to appear on Corrie!!

Though I am one of the viewers who loves Mary's little 'mother' anecdotes!!
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of unknown actresses, surely?

At 70, or whatever, there's probably a reason they're unknown.
    Julie Walters, she'd be brilliant and she's stated in the past she'd love to appear on Corrie!!

Though I am one of the viewers who loves Mary's little 'mother' anecdotes!!

Sorry, but while JW's alright playing "ordinary" people, I can't stand her doing her "eccentric" routines, such as the mother in "dinnerladies" or ancient waitresses.

However, I also love her anecdotes.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben96 wrote: »
    Oh, maybe then, I don't know, was that recently? I haven't watched for a few weeks It's been so boring.

It's a confusing situation. In 2009 Mary originally told Norris her mother had died, and Norris even went with her to the funeral. But a year later when she held him hostage at a holiday cottage he overheard her speaking to her mother over the phone. Although thinking she was just talking to thin air he told the police that Mary probably killed her mother, only for them to tell Norris she is still alive.

There was a scene where Mary said she likes to speak about her mother in the past tense.

Here is an article on Mary's mother

http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Maureen_Taylor
  • Options
    differentdrumdifferentdrum Posts: 3,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why would anyone want Maria in the spotlight? It is the one sure-fire way of making things even worse. She is one of the worst actresses in soap history. You would have thought that after 15 years there would be a modicum of improvement. Now that she has ended a totally unbelievable relationship with Luke there really isn't anyone else left to have a fling with so hopefully, rather than build the part up, the exit door beckons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why would anyone want Maria in the spotlight? It is the one sure-fire way of making things even worse. She is one of the worst actresses in soap history. You would have thought that after 15 years there would be a modicum of improvement. Now that she has ended a totally unbelievable relationship with Luke there really isn't anyone else left to have a fling with so hopefully, rather than build the part up, the exit door beckons.

Your opinion maybe, certainly not mine!! :p
  • Options
    cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving the Leanne/Steve/Liz scenes and the Rita/Gemma scenes have been good but agree with everything else being pretty flat.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a confusing situation. In 2009 Mary originally told Norris her mother had died, and Norris even went with her to the funeral. But a year later when she held him hostage at a holiday cottage he overheard her speaking to her mother over the phone. Although thinking she was just talking to thin air he told the police that Mary probably killed her mother, only for them to tell Norris she is still alive.

There was a scene where Mary said she likes to speak about her mother in the past tense.

Here is an article on Mary's mother

http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Maureen_Taylor
    I didn't see any of that but it sounds like the 2010 stuff is a retcon if Norris went to the funeral with her in 2009.
  • Options
    Alex_SullivanAlex_Sullivan Posts: 10,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got into the habit of leaving it switched on in one room and then getting on with other things in the next room - I can still (over) hear it but I don't necessarily sit through it.
    And no I don't find that i've missed much.

The monotony of the settings is becoming noticeable. I think you would have to go back to about 1975 to find a time when the show was so reluctant to leave the street set. It's almost like it's trying to cocoon itself from the rest of the world.
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    God, it's really turgid. Maria has always been an awful whiney character, and now they've paired her up with the wet blanket Aidan. It's beyond tedious.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    I didn't see any of that but it sounds like the 2010 stuff is a retcon if Norris went to the funeral with her in 2009.

The stuff with her holding Norris hostage on holiday was pretty much forgotten about, and now he is comfortable around her and she is a nanny to two children.
  • Options
    Richard_FletcheRichard_Fletche Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Since Kylie's death, I have really not enjoyed watching it again. There are so many boring characters on screen at once like Izzy and Garry, Maria and Aidan, Zeedan and his girlfriend (whose name escapes me).
    It's not just you. I can't be bothered watching so many affair / baby storylines mixed with bad acting anymore.

What is Shayne Ward doing in the cast?! Maria is just terrible and there aren't enough older characters to make it "REAL".
  • Options
    juniper3juniper3 Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    will never watch corrie again as it has gone down since 2001 think these still watching this it must be out of habit
  • Options
    tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    juniper3 wrote: »
    will never watch corrie again as it has gone down since 2001 think these still watching this it must be out of habit

its definitely out of habit for me. i don't enjoy it at all. all the characters are one dimensional & there are so many of them that just can't act & have no gravitas. having aiden on the show when he clearly cannot act is embarrassing same as when they brought in Sarah Harding. thankfully she didn't last but i find it hard to believe that they brought her in the first place. the tried and tested formula of bringing in a character that's gobby & a bit of a loose cannon then gradually making them likable has been done too many times.
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been poor Recently
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    I've got into the habit of leaving it switched on in one room and then getting on with other things in the next room - I can still (over) hear it but I don't necessarily sit through it.
    And no I don't find that i've missed much.

The monotony of the settings is becoming noticeable. I think you would have to go back to about 1975 to find a time when the show was so reluctant to leave the street set. It's almost like it's trying to cocoon itself from the rest of the world.
    That was me this evening. Couldn't sit through the whole episode.
    its definitely out of habit for me. i don't enjoy it at all. all the characters are one dimensional & there are so many of them that just can't act & have no gravitas. having aiden on the show when he clearly cannot act is embarrassing same as when they brought in Sarah Harding. thankfully she didn't last but i find it hard to believe that they brought her in the first place. the tried and tested formula of bringing in a character that's gobby & a bit of a loose cannon then gradually making them likable has been done too many times.
    Why can't we have a good, well-rounded character right from the start?

Erica's first appearance was almost like a breath of fresh air......it's a shame how low the character's plummeted. :(
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    The stuff with her holding Norris hostage on holiday was pretty much forgotten about, and now he is comfortable around her and she is a nanny to two children.

I always viewed it as Norris seeing it as being held hostage and Mary just wanting him to stay a bit longer:D
  • Options
    lobeydosserlobeydosser Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    I always viewed it as Norris seeing it as being held hostage and Mary just wanting him to stay a bit longer:D

Corrie has been boring for years - it's dire!