The products...

Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So SrAlan set up meetings with a hardware store and a design-lead shop.
Obviously the ladder stabiliser and the drill-dust collector would have gone down well with the hardware shop, but what item or items WOULD the design-lead shop have gone for?
The ONLY one I can see was a possible fit for it was the water-pipe coat rack, which was - in my mind - hideous.

Quite often the teams are given obvious red herrings and also potential gold mines, if they can work out which is which.
What products should they have gone for to get the large orders from the 2 starting pitches??

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the coat rack would have been the only choice for the designer shop.... and interestingly Lorraine was the only candidate to 'rave' over it, but was dismissed.... Cassandra again?
  • FangsterFangster Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I think maybe the design shop was a red herring (I'm sure we've had similar set-ups before). Surely the drill-mate was the best product (especially since they were going to a hardware store). Why did no-one choose it? I suppose maybe because it was a low value item but still...
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    The coat rack was just the sort of thing Heals look for and it was a potential big seller for them.....

But as usual Phillip managed to dismiss Lorraine's opinion and took the rest of them with him

They SHOULD have chosen

Heals - coat rack
    Hardware shop - drill thing or ladder stabiliser.

The rest were all cr*p, and the things they chose were absolute no-hopers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    CaroUK wrote: »
    The coat rack was just the sort of thing Heals look for and it was a potential big seller for them.....

But as usual Phillip managed to dismiss Lorraine's opinion and took the rest of them with him

They SHOULD have chosen

Heals - coat rack

Well we didn't really get to see the demos in detail did we?

I couldn't honestly make out what the purpose of the drill thing was and I got the impression from the very brief clip we saw of the ladder stabiliser that it wobbled somewhat - not a desirable trait in a stabiliser of any sort
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Did the teams even know the type of store they were pitching too?
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cats2009 wrote: »
    Did the teams even know the type of store they were pitching too?

Yes. What a bunch of numpties!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A tactic might have been to buy one designer shop item and one for the hardware store, thereby guaranteeing some sales to both. As it was, most of the products fell in between the two.

But I'm not totally sure the rack would have been a big seller. There are going to be far more buyers for a DIY-type item than for quirky furniture, just in terms in the number of retailers who would be interested in those products.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about that comfy foot-rest/seat?

I think that would have sold quite well.

It was glaringly obvious to select items that could be flogged to the pre-arranged contacts. I'm just astounded that no one cottoned onto this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sid_1979 wrote: »

It was glaringly obvious to select items that could be flogged to the pre-arranged contacts. I'm just astounded that no one cottoned onto this.

Yes, that was more Heals with other possibilities.

Camping gear was a decent choice, although I am not sure I would want to walk around in a bag I had slept in all day. The double lead was marginally less stupid than cat playhouse disguised as a tank.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davemba wrote: »

Camping gear was a decent choice, although I am not sure I would want to walk around in a bag I had slept in all day. The double lead was marginally less stupid than cat playhouse disguised as a tank.

The bit in bold made me chuckle :o:p

The cat playhouse was possibly the ugliest, tackiest piece of rubbish I've ever clapped eyes on. It was truly hideous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid_1979 wrote: »

Yep, I thought that would have been ideal for the furniture store.

Though it was hilarious seeing them try to flog a bag for a bike to them. :D

I can't understand what they were thinking with some of the products they chose anyway, with or without the leads they already had.

That cat box thing was truly awful. A cat would simply shred it to pieces in minutes. I have no idea who would ever look at it and think, "Oooh, must have one of those!"

The bike bag thing was horrific. Surely people manage to carry bags when they cycle anyway? Are back packs out of the question? It looked inconvenient and any imbecile could see that it just wouldn't work if you put any weight in it.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Davemba wrote: »

Ahhh, but if you were asleep in your tent and there was a herd of very annoyed hippos heading in your direction you'd be able to jump straight up and leg it :D

I'd forgotten about the seat thingy, now that I could see selling, especially if the suppliers did it in a range of designs, including stuff like footie teams, then you could flog a few to sports shops as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh, but if you were asleep in your tent and there was a herd of very annoyed hippos heading in your direction you'd be able to jump straight up and leg it :D

I'd forgotten about the seat thingy, now that I could see selling, especially if the suppliers did it in a range of designs, including stuff like footie teams, then you could flog a few to sports shops as well.

I saw it as a sort of alternative to a bean bag. I could certainly see a couple of them in the kids' bedrooms. (Emergency chairs too to stick the kids on when visitors are around.) I thought they were a good idea and would certainly have sold to more than the designer furniture store.
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    during the show, I thought the bean bag zippy thing was the only thing that heals might take.
    The coat rack was just too far out there
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »

They SHOULD have chosen

Heals - coat rack

Yes I agree and it's a shame Lorraine didn't stick with her gut feeling.

It's also a shame we didn't get to see the demo's very well.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, I thought that would have been ideal for the furniture store.

Though it was hilarious seeing them try to flog a bag for a bike to them. :D

I can't understand what they were thinking with some of the products they chose anyway, with or without the leads they already had.

That cat box thing was truly awful. A cat would simply shred it to pieces in minutes. I have no idea who would ever look at it and think, "Oooh, must have one of those!"

The bike bag thing was horrific. Surely people manage to carry bags when they cycle anyway? Are back packs out of the question? It looked inconvenient and any imbecile could see that it just wouldn't work if you put any weight in it.

I quite liked the concept of the bike bags. Its hard cycling and having bags attached to your wrists, far easier to have them on the back of the bike.

The cat playhouse was bordering on stupid, it looked cumbersome and like it wouldn't stand up to be mauled by cats. Where were the attachments for cats to play with.

The drill mate and duo dog lead were the best products.
  • BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have chosen the zip chair and the drill mate which I thought was genius! Such a simple thing but saves time and effort with DIY.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BMLisa wrote: »
    I would have chosen the zip chair and the drill mate which I thought was genius! Such a simple thing but saves time and effort with DIY.

im, sure the drill dust catcher has been around for a while they arent very good as the dust sits on the edge of the device and simply falls as soon as it is removed from the wall

they do catch some dust but not enough that you wont have to clean after so it is pointless

although i know that doesnt mean the DIY shop wouldnt buy it they do after all sell loads of pointless items

i liked the zippy seat
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    during the show, I thought the bean bag zippy thing was the only thing that heals might take.
    The coat rack was just too far out there

Have to agree with this - I can't understand the love for the coat rack on this forum today, it looked quite impracticle for hanging coats (the top row especially) and would only suit a very particular decor style.
    The poufe/seat would suit Heals much more, and the ladder stablisers would do well for the DIY store being a relatively high price item.