Will One direction crack America?

Comments

• abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    I was going to leave this argument last post but I always have a problem with the last word :D

Most fans have no problem with posters disliking the boys and their musical ability but the rub is when posters like yourself try to give their opinion and state it as a fact. That is unreasonable

Albrighty's link proved that even credible music professionals can't even decide what having musicality is.

None of us have said the boys are the best singers in the world but do a good job in the world of boy bands. Times have moved on and the Motown harmonies are not necessary especially in the genre they are singing. For me harmonies only matter in a choir like boys aloud although strangely enough IMO it does seem to matter more in a girl's group. I don't know why that is unless it is because the female voice lends itself more to harmonies in a pop song than boys.

Lets all agree to disagree and leave it there ..........Peace!

sorry, twingle...

i just can't resist adding:

(what else?)

LoLz!!;) :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aja ja ja!! metro's take on 1D flying back to UK::D

"One Direction Leave Flashing Fans Behind as They Fly Back into UK :p

"One Direction have jetted back into the UK as they revealed that fans in Sweden used to flash them in a bid to get their attention.":eek:

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/music/899249-one-direction-leave-flashing-fans-behind-as-they-fly-back-into-uk#ixzz1v25Lmvgs
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    Yes, but those posters were wrong, look at the first couple pages...they predicted the boys would not have a chance in hell to be successful in the US.
    People may not like their music or what they are about, but what they have achieve Stateside so early in the their career is incredible. Not even us fans predicted they would top the US Bilboard chart and weeks later still be in the top 10. Or have chart success in multiple countries worldwide.

You don't think they're good singers, cool not everyone likes them. Particularly on DS.

With due respects, they (1d) have done nothing"amazing"its down to syco and his lot. They are just his vehicle for making money. I'm not one of these people who deride singers who don't play instruments or write their own music, or those who enter talent shows in order to get a break. In fact I've defended the likes of the Motown artist, many of whom didn't write their own music, but they IMO had credibility, something that these boys don't have.

this thread should be changed to"will Simon Cowell crack America again?".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    With due respects, they (1d) have done nothing"amazing"its down to syco and his lot. They are just his vehicle for making money. I'm not one of these people who deride singers who don't play instruments or write their own music, or those who enter talent shows in order to get a break. In fact I've defended the likes of the Motown artist, many of whom didn't write their own music, but they IMO had credibility, something that these boys don't have.

you're free to contact the mods... lolz!!
    Forum Member
    abrightyz wrote: »
    you're free to contact the mods... lolz!!

Who are you, the thread defender? You seem to love jumping in even when said comment isn't addressed to you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

down to syco?

i say it's foolhardy to look for old tools in trying to explain the success of 1D.

they happened to be at the vanguard of the next generation of pop consumerism>>> prosumerism

*is that really hard to understand?*

plus: social media v mainstream media...

syco may have been wise enough to latch on to the new trend but it is this new trend of prosumers who discovered and pinpointed what they like from what's on offer, lolz!!

in the audio-visual media, it is still their faces, voices, personalities and incredible dynamics that is at play...

down to syco indeed...:rolleyes:

ETA yeah, and his rent a mob, lolz!!
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually I am reading Tom Bower's biography of Simon at the moment . Boring writer but makes for an interesting read. Simon in his early days was like Mr Bean and everything he touched went tits up. He refused Spice Girls and Take That and was done over by Fuller with the popidol franchise which he invented but was so naive he didn't get it in writing!

I agree the boys have an amazing team behind them but I doubt it is down to Simon Cowell otherwise we would have another Westlife with an album of covers which really is Simon's forte
    Forum Member
    Actually I am reading Tom Bower's biography of Simon at the moment . Boring writer but makes for an interesting read. Simon in his early days was like Mr Bean and everything he touched went tits up. He refused Spice Girls and Take That and was done over by Fuller with the popidol franchise which he invented but was so naive he didn't get it in writing!

I agree the boys have an amazing team behind them but I doubt it is down to Simon Cowell otherwise we would have another Westlife with an album of covers which really is Simon's forte

Now i wouldn't say that I paid rapt attention to the boys whilst on Xf, but didn't Simon put them together. If true then its totally down to him, and they as individuals would have never gotten together, which is something that can't be said about single artist.

Not only that, but as individuals i doubt that they would have made it as solo singers
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    We are just going around in circles here....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are just going around in circles here....

thanks... going now to central london for the afternoon...:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now i wouldn't say that I paid rapt attention to the boys whilst on Xf, but didn't Simon put them together. If true then its totally down to him, and they as individuals would have never gotten together, which is something that can't be said about single artist.

Not only that, but as individuals i doubt that they would have made it as solo singers

You are absolutely right as he did with other groups before them which never took off. My point was that his other groups didn't take off except for Westlife and we all know that although great singers they are famous for covers. Why the other groups didn't take off when he put the same clout behind them tells me there is something with these boys that have resonated with the GBP that the other's didn't. Simon can put hundreds of groups together but it is hit or miss whether they take off so in that respect it isn't solely down to Simon.

I agree with you as regards making it as solo singers. Apart from Liam none of them had the experience or confidence as seen by their early performances on X Factor. But what a difference a year makes . All of them have learnt their stage craft and are so much more confident and relaxed on stage as evident in their tour videos.
    Forum Member
    When asked why 1d succeeded in the states when so many other Brits failed, one American commentator said"they came at the right time, there are no boy bands in America at present". The wanted have also done well in the states.

Also i believe that the internet and twitter have had a lot to do with the hype, something that unites supporters around the world, and its my belief that that is a big influence in why Aiden got a record deal.
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are absolutely right as he did with other groups before them which never took off. My point was that his other groups didn't take off except for Westlife and we all know that although great singers they are famous for covers. Why the other groups didn't take off when he put the same clout behind them tells me there is something with these boys that have resonated with the GBP that the other's didn't. Simon can put hundreds of groups together but it is hit or miss whether they take off so in that respect it isn't solely down to Simon.

I agree with you as regards making it as solo singers. Apart from Liam none of them had the experience or confidence as seen by their early performances on X Factor. But what a difference a year makes . All of them have learnt their stage craft and are so much more confident and relaxed on stage as evident in their tour videos.

Actually Simon created 5ive and they were quite successful, even had a bit of success in America.
    I think when Simon watched 1D perform for the first time, they kind of reminded him of 5ive. I remember him saying he couldn't wait for them to finish their first performance, because he just wanted to scream for joy. They were perfect in every way. The sound, the look and the chemistry, they had it all.:)

The funny thing is, a lot of us fans felt the same way, we knew we were onto something incredible. Shame a few people can't see it.:rolleyes: #clueless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    Actually Simon created 5ive and they were quite successful, even had a bit of success in America.
    I think when Simon watched 1D perform for the first time, they kind of reminded him of 5ive. I remember him saying he couldn't wait for them to finish their first performance, because he just wanted to scream for joy. They were perfect in every way. The sound, the look and the chemistry, they had it all.:)

The funny thing is, a lot of us fans felt the same way, we knew we were onto something incredible. Shame a few people can't see it.:rolleyes: #clueless.

They are mentioned in the book. Apparently after their first hit they got really cocky and started acting up. They thought bye bye bye was a rubbish song and refused it which then went to BSB (or NKOTB, can't remember which) and was a mega hit. They went down hill after that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Makes You Beautiful is officially 2x platinum in the US and the total sales are 2,060,000.

One Thing was the 3rd most added song on US radio this week and it'll be sent to US radio in a week for official adds. Also One Thing is #40 on US radio while What Makes You Beautiful is #5.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are mentioned in the book. Apparently after their first hit they got really cocky and started acting up. They thought bye bye bye was a rubbish song and refused it which then went to BSB (or NKOTB, can't remember which) and was a mega hit. They went down hill after that.

Neither BSB or NKOTB. It was Nsync.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Neither BSB or NKOTB. It was Nsync.

See my memory always fails me :D Thanks for the correction:D
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They sure were. I was part of their marketing team at BMG, they more or less made everybody's life a misery. Bloody spoilt brats.:mad:
    It's really funny because the format Sony used to put together groups like 5ive and Spice Girls is the same as the one used for Pop Idol and X factor. I remember people had to audition to get in the groups. The guys from 5ive were meant to audition individually, but became friends while standing in the queue and decided to audition together as a group and were all selected. Sound familiar? lolz!!!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They sure were. I was part of their marketing team at BMG, they more or less made everybody's life a misery. Bloody spoilt brats.:mad:
    It's really funny because the format Sony used to put together groups like 5ive and Spice Girls is the same as the one used for Pop Idol and X factor. I remember people had to audition to get in the groups. The guys from 5ive were meant to audition individually, but became friends while standing in the queue and decided to audition together as a group and were all selected. Sound familiar? lolz!!!:D

the big difference is the boys are not spoilt brats but quite the opposite... just normal, polite, fun-loving guys who are living the dream, aware of it and grateful for the blessings and opportunities given them.:cool:
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most fans have no problem with posters disliking the boys and their musical ability but the rub is when posters like yourself try to give their opinion and state it as a fact. That is unreasonable
    So what part of anything I stated is not fact then? They aren't great singers/musicians by any stretch of the imagination.

If you are referring to the my opening post that Sir Galahad and the merry men lept on, then it was meant to ruffle a few feathers given that certain people were treating this thread like some kind of private club.
    Albrighty's link proved that even credible music professionals can't even decide what having musicality is.
    And as I have pointed out once already, the link was irrelevant given that I had specifically mentioned timing and tuning as distinct from general "musicality".

Possibly a little harsh...

They do look the part and do as they are told.
    The question the OP posted was, Will One Direction crack America? You never answered the question.
    I said they "might" in my opening post, try reading it properly...
    Obviously they have cracked America
    Not obviously at all...
    Forum Member
    You're still going on about this?:rolleyes:
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're still going on about this?:rolleyes:
    Sorry to interrupt the cosy knitting circle, but as was pointed out the thread title was "Will One direction crack America?".

Some people are claiming they "obviously" have, feel free to discuss...

I can't help wondering whether it's a genuinely held belief that one hit and a few weeks in the chart constitutes "cracking America" or whether it's just grandstanding at the thought of having got one over on the "trolls" who dared to express a different opinion.

Assuming for one second you accepted that they had "cracked" America then also relevant to the discussion is why and how when many others, some of who were clearly more talented failed.

Again you could discuss, but I get the feeling some would prefer that it returned to a sycophantic appreciation thread...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    Gneiss wrote: »
    Obviously they have cracked America
    Not obviously at all...
    I don't agree. We don't know how long it is going to last for, because it is unpredictable for any artist, but for the present time they have undeniably taken America by storm. It is not just one single that is doing well, (see cough cough The Wanted), it is also album sales, tour and buzz.

Whether it is deserved or not is another matter, and is subjective, but like them or not, the facts are backing up the statement that have cracked America.
    Forum Member
    Sorry to interrupt the cosy knitting circle, but as was pointed out the thread title was "Will One direction crack America?".

I can't help wondering whether it's a genuinely held belief that one hit and a few weeks in the chart constitutes "cracking America" or whether it's just grandstanding at the thought of having got one over on the "trolls" who dared to express a different opinion.

Assuming for one second you accepted that they had "cracked" America then also relevant to the discussion is why and how when many others, some of who were clearly more talented failed.

Again you could discuss, but I get the feeling some would prefer that it returned to a sycophantic appreciation thread...

Well like I said before we just post all the international news regarding in this thread now. This thread was started last year, before they had any music out in the US. Things have changed now and most of those posters have not come back to this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am happy to discuss as long as it is a reasonable discussion :D

IMO their success in america is down to their army of fans on twitter and tumblr. I am not mentioning X factor because no one abroad watched the X factor. Again IMO the fans got behind them because they are top of the cream for boyband criteria. They each have their own place in the band as in funny one, flirty one, serious one, cute one and quiet one. All have great personalities which come across in interviews and of course they have a great team behind them. Their vocals as I have said previously are adequate for a boy band.

They are like the female version of spice girls who all had their place in the band and had great personalities.

Of course no one knows how long this success will last but they have made a great start with a tour coming up which was sold out in 12 mins and a prestigious gig in December at Madison Square Gardens again sold out very quickly. They are also all over the media again another sign that the buzz hasn't died down yet.

What more proof would you like that they are doing well and better than previous bands who have tried and failed to break America?