Songs that you thought were big hits but on fact never reached UK top 40?

huddsbluehuddsblue Posts: 1,096
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Start off with I Ran by A Flock Of Seagulls. This new wave classic only reached no. 43 in 1982:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU

Comments

• HaydenHayden Posts: 32,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Summer of 69' by Bryan Adams always gets a mention in these type of threads.
    Played all the time on Heart FM and their like but never made the UK Top 40.
  • huddsbluehuddsblue Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a big one!

Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl never made it either.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fleetwood Mac have a bunch. Rhiannon and You Make Loving Fun didn't make top 40, while Go Your Own Way and Sara only made #38 and #37 respectively.

Meanwhile those 'still well-known huge hits' Tusk and Oh Diane were top ten hits at the time.

Finally, their 'Rumours' album, 11x Platinum in the UK, didn't deliver a single top 20 single. What a different industry it was back then.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Stairway to Heaven wasnt a hit until 2007, and even then it got to the lower end of the chart based on Downloads.
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,153
    Forum Member
    Changes by David Bowie got to number 49 in the charts. And that followed his death; it never charted before that.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally, their 'Rumours' album, 11x Platinum in the UK, didn't deliver a single top 20 single. What a different industry it was back then.

That was because everybody had the album!

And a decade or so earlier it was different again, because then singles often weren't on the albums.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Stairway to Heaven wasnt a hit until 2007, and even then it got to the lower end of the chart based on Downloads.

Led Zeppelin didn't release singles.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop Me If You've Think You've Heard This One Before by the Smiths - I didn't know it never even got released (due to a line referencing the Hungerford massacre).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fleetwood Mac have a bunch. Rhiannon and You Make Loving Fun didn't make top 40, while Go Your Own Way and Sara only made #38 and #37 respectively.

Meanwhile those 'still well-known huge hits' Tusk and Oh Diane were top ten hits at the time.

That's incredible. Maybe because everyone had the album tho?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was because everybody had the album!

And a decade or so earlier it was different again, because then singles often weren't on the albums.

The same happened with The Verve's Sonnet, a huge radio hit at the time but didn't get near the top 40.
  • Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are loads of famous Beatles songs that were never released. With A Little Help From My Friends, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds , When I'm 64.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are loads of famous Beatles songs that were never released. With A Little Help From My Friends, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds , When I'm 64.....

There were too many to mention with the Beatles.

Yesterday and Eight Days A Week were no 1s in America but never released as singles here.
  • SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    Stop Me If You've Think You've Heard This One Before by the Smiths - I didn't know it never even got released (due to a line referencing the Hungerford massacre).

It did appear in the charts eventually - well, a version of it, mashed up with 'You Keep Me Hanging On', as Mark Ronson's "Stop Me." A Morrissey/Marr/Holland/Dozier/Holland writing credit - that'd only be beaten if someone unearths a Lennon/Jagger/McCartney/Richards collab...
    huddsblue wrote: »
    The same happened with The Verve's Sonnet, a huge radio hit at the time but didn't get near the top 40.

Sonnet following on from "The Drugs Don't Work", which had the opposite problem - it got to number one, but nobody remembers that it did because it was in the week Princess Diana died and as such nobody gave an arse about the charts...
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Led Zeppelin didn't release singles.

I'm pretty sure Whole Lotta Love was a hit.

On that note, one of my favourite quotes about Led Zep was "they didn't appear on Top of the Pops....they did the theme tune". So cool.
  • ThorneyThorney Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was a top 40 hit and was surprised it wasn't

Rick Springfield - Jessies Girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYkbTyHXwbs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Whole Lotta Love was a hit.

On that note, one of my favourite quotes about Led Zep was "they didn't appear on Top of the Pops....they did the theme tune". So cool.

This cover/remixed version by CCS was a UK hit, but the original never charted.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c9GS3SofhdU
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thorney wrote: »
    I thought this was a top 40 hit and was surprised it wasn't

Rick Springfield - Jessies Girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYkbTyHXwbs

A number 1 in America but a near miss here.
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    One of the biggest that hasn't been mentioned yet, Sir Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back. Better known as the "I like big butts and I cannot lie" song!

Only made #56 in the UK, but a massive hit in the USA - a #1 and the second-biggest seller of 1992 - and used on tons of ads and films since.
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 82,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Velvettes' Needle in a Haystack.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    It did appear in the charts eventually - well, a version of it, mashed up with 'You Keep Me Hanging On', as Mark Ronson's "Stop Me." A Morrissey/Marr/Holland/Dozier/Holland writing credit - that'd only be beaten if someone unearths a Lennon/Jagger/McCartney/Richards collab...

Sonnet following on from "The Drugs Don't Work", which had the opposite problem - it got to number one, but nobody remembers that it did because it was in the week Princess Diana died and as such nobody gave an arse about the charts...

Funnily enough whenever I hear The Drugs Don't Work it reminds me of that utterly strange week. And it did match the sombre mood of the nation. Although it actually got to number one on the day after Dianas funeral. On the day she died and the week leading up to the funeral Men In Black was number one. So to me The Drugs Don't Work being number one in September 1997 is memorable because it followed that week.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This cover/remixed version by CCS was a UK hit, but the original never charted.

It did chart - it made No21 in 1997.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Starbuck - Moonlight feels right 1976. Big hit in the US and big radio hit .
    Harry Chapin - Cats in the cradle
    Janis Ian - Fly too high
    Godley & Creme - Englishman in new york
    Kansas - Carry On Wayward son
    Flash and the Pan - And the band played on
    Donald Fagen - New Frontier
    Don Henley - Dirty Laundry
    Chris White - Spanish wine.....another radio hit
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    It did chart - it made No21 in 1997.

But not the first time around. Nobody remembers it as a 1997 song lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric Carmen - Hungry Eyes incredibly only reached no.82
  • ThorneyThorney Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric Carmen - Hungry Eyes incredibly only reached no.82

They didnt release many copies they want to sell the Soundtrack, think it was only out for a week.