Nandos is overrated.

Comments

• Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    You probably dont, but if you eat any takeaway, Chinese, Indian, chicken shop, pizza places you will be eating halal products, they all use them as a basic rule.

When I visit the places mentioned I accept that the meat is almost certainly Halal, especially Indian restaurants. That's their culture, belief system, religion and I accept that totally. Last year I went for a meal where the majority of people were Muslim and I didn't drink alcohol or order a pork dish out of respect. They served alcohol and pork dishes and I'm 99% sure those I was out with wouldn't have had an issue with it but I wanted to respect the majority view.

My issue is basically that the meat isn't usually labelled as such. Be it Halal, Kosher, Satanic slaughter or Trotters pre-blessed wine.

Anyway this thread is about having a cheeky Nandos not religion so I don't want to turn it any other way. I believe what I believe, they believe what they believe. Everybody muddles along and most of the time it works.

Back to the overpriced fried chicken joint chat and let's all enjoy the weekend...
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »
    Last year I went for a meal where the majority of people were Muslim and I didn't drink alcohol or order a pork dish out of respect. They served alcohol and pork dishes and I'm 99% sure those I was out with wouldn't have had an issue with it but I wanted to respect the majority view.

I'm sorry but I find that completely bonkers. I've a Muslim friend who has come on nights out with us. Are you seriously saying that everyone should have a teetotal night out because she's there? That's ludicrous, you're basically saying that when you're with a Muslim you should adopt aspects of their religion. If you go out with a Sikh do you pop a turban on?

As for Nandos, went once, thought it was crap. I'm not a fan of chain restaurants in general though.
  • Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must admit that Nandos chips are nice and far better than McD, Burger King and KFC. Used to think the KFC ones took some beating but lately they seemed not as nice and smaller portions.
  • John_ClunesJohn_Clunes Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I find that completely bonkers. I've a Muslim friend who has come on nights out with us. Are you seriously saying that everyone should have a teetotal night out because she's there? That's ludicrous, you're basically saying that when you're with a Muslim you should adopt aspects of their religion. If you go out with a Sikh do you pop a turban on?

As for Nandos, went once, thought it was crap. I'm not a fan of chain restaurants in general though.

No jambo, he said he respected the majority view, not the view of the minority. Try reading a post before making such a rude reply xx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No jambo, he said he respected the majority view, not the view of the minority. Try reading a post before making such a rude reply xx

I did read it, I still think it's bonkers. He said in an earlier post he wouldn't eat pork in front of a Muslim co-worker. That's not a majority thing.

I wasn't rude either.
  • a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went once, but now for some reason just looking at the place puts me off. An almost generic style of Corporate blandness filled with the (from what I have seen anyway) with the same bland underwhelming groups of generics, that now roam the high streets and hastily erected shopping malls of the past decade in their droves at the weekends.

It's like someone decided to clone the most mediocre experience of blandness and thought. I know the way to win in business is to offend people the least. Food/decor everything. That way we appeal to the masses and that how you succeed in the catering industry.

It hits the demographic nail on the head if you're sort of mid late 20's living with your parents so still have some slight disposable income to waste on a weekend. Whilst you mindlessly traverse the quickly spiralling down shopping mall. That place filled with Superdry/Apple store and the obligatory Costa/StarF**ks.

Just another generic place for the generic race. Heaping mediocrity upon mediocrity. Because it's safe middle of the road in offensive. And helps you think you've attained some ability to eat out with your friends on a more regular basis than the last generation did.

I've had some horrendous food at non generic corporate eateries, however I have had some of the best as well. It depends if you want to spend your life safe in the eating part.
  • AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think many people particularly rate it that highly. It's just decent dependable food, you know what you're getting when you go to nandos.
  • Lil MunchkinLil Munchkin Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a_c_g_t wrote: »
    I went once, but now for some reason just looking at the place puts me off. An almost generic style of Corporate blandness filled with the (from what I have seen anyway) with the same bland underwhelming groups of generics, that now roam the high streets and hastily erected shopping malls of the past decade in their droves at the weekends.

It's like someone decided to clone the most mediocre experience of blandness and thought. I know the way to win in business is to offend people the least. Food/decor everything. That way we appeal to the masses and that how you succeed in the catering industry.

It hits the demographic nail on the head if you're sort of mid late 20's living with your parents so still have some slight disposable income to waste on a weekend. Whilst you mindlessly traverse the quickly spiralling down shopping mall. That place filled with Superdry/Apple store and the obligatory Costa/StarF**ks.

Just another generic place for the generic race. Heaping mediocrity upon mediocrity. Because it's safe middle of the road in offensive. And helps you think you've attained some ability to eat out with your friends on a more regular basis than the last generation did.

I've had some horrendous food at non generic corporate eateries, however I have had some of the best as well. It depends if you want to spend your life safe in the eating part.

So you're not keen then? ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AaronWx wrote: »
    I don't think many people particularly rate it that highly. It's just decent dependable food, you know what you're getting when you go to nandos.

I don't get why this "you know what you're getting" comment is a "thing" in this day and age though. With the internet and things such as Trip Advisor it's very easy to find good places to eat. I hear people saying "I was in a strange town so I just went to Wetherspoons because you know what you're getting".

I relish being in a "strange" town, it's a good chance to find something new. I get online and do my research and find somewhere nice. I was away for a night a couple of weeks ago and we found somewhere where the food was absolutely fantastic, it's very easy to do these days.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I don't get why this "you know what you're getting" comment is a "thing" in this day and age though. With the internet and things such as Trip Advisor it's very easy to find good places to eat. I hear people saying "I was in a strange town so I just went to Wetherspoons because you know what you're getting".

I relish being in a "strange" town, it's a good chance to find something new. I get online and do my research and find somewhere nice. I was away for a night a couple of weeks ago and we found somewhere where the food was absolutely fantastic, it's very easy to do these days.

Some people are afraid to try something new. My mom is one of those people who sticks to the tried and true establishments, even though the food isn't great.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Some people are afraid to try something new. My mom is one of those people who sticks to the tried and true establishments, even though the food isn't great.

I can understand, I stick to Hôtel du Vin when I'm in other towns. It's the one chain restaurant where I know what I'm getting, but it isn't too bland.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wagamamas was mentioned earlier on in the thread. That is the one place out all these sort of "restaurants" (Nando's, Chimichanga etc) that I think is actually decent. However, I recently discovered that their Chicken Katsu Curry has 1,200 calories, which I think is absolutely crazy!!
  • TurbulenceTurbulence Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan at all tbh.

The city centre building it's in near me also has a Coast to Coast, Pizza Hut, Za Za Bazaar and Frankie & Benny's. And I would quite confidently put Nando's in last place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know some people are like that, I find that really sad though, they must miss out on so much. I could understand it to an extent when good information wasn't so freely available and there was a chance a different place might be rubbish but nowadays it's pretty rare to end up somewhere crap if you've done your research.
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like Nandos. it's a fast food place with pretentions to be a restaurant, so you have to order at the counter, get your own cutlery and sauces and then sit at a table and wait for someone to bring your food out to you. It's like the worst of both worlds. Food's OK, but nothing special.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    Wagamamas was mentioned earlier on in the thread. That is the one place out all these sort of "restaurants" (Nando's, Chimichanga etc) that I think is actually decent. However, I recently discovered that their Chicken Katsu Curry has 1,200 calories, which I think is absolutely crazy!!

The problem with Wagamama is not the calories so much, but the fact it is totally inauthentic. The food in there doesn't represent food from anywhere in Asia particularly. Don't get me wrong, I quite like Wagamama, and probably eat there once a month or so, but it certainly doesn't give you an authentic taste of Japan. A bit like the way curry houses and Chinese restaurants give you a British-ified experience of their cuisines.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    The problem with Wagamama is not the calories so much, but the fact it is totally inauthentic. The food in there doesn't represent food from anywhere in Asia particularly. Don't get me wrong, I quite like Wagamama, and probably eat there once a month or so, but it certainly doesn't give you an authentic taste of Japan. A bit like the way curry houses and Chinese restaurants give you a British-ified experience of their cuisines.

That's the same with most fast food places though and takeaways. For example, Indian takeaways over here do not represent the Indian food you would get if you went to India. Indian takeaways over here have been developed for the western pallet. I see places like Wagamamas as just cheap, decent fast food,,,it does what it says on the tin. I just think though that for a Chicken Katsu Curry, 1,200 calories is just insane. Putting aside the rice, the chicken and sauce must be loaded in calories for the meal to be that high.
    Forum Member
    That's the same with most fast food places though and takeaways. For example, Indian takeaways over here do not represent the Indian food you would get if you went to India. Indian takeaways over here have been developed for the western pallet. I see places like Wagamamas as just cheap, decent fast food,,,it does what it says on the tin. I just think though that for a Chicken Katsu Curry, 1,200 calories is just insane. Putting aside the rice, the chicken and sauce must be loaded in calories for the meal to be that high.

Yes, I guess it makes you wonder how much sugar is added to the sauces..
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member

I agree, I know it's not authentic but it tastes nice. None of these places are particularly authentic, especially F&B's with it's completely made up back story.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    Yes, I guess it makes you wonder how much sugar is added to the sauces..

I looked on google and there isn't much sugar in that dish, less than 3 tsp. It does have quite a lot of fat though, 50 g which is 450 calories, nearly half the meal. Carbs come in at 125 g which amounts to 500 calories, so with a relatively low amount of sugars, it will be the rice or breading on the chicken that bulk up that carb total.
  • EsensuelleEsensuelle Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lmao, are you really calling other people out for "rudeness" when you call folks 'lower class' for daring to eat in Nandos! :D

Talk about zero self awareness.

Not the KFC skin though. I don't even like KFC.

Nandos seems to be full of lower class people and those that see themselves as "lads" who go for a "cheeky nandos".
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,429
    Forum Member
    Nando's is the best thing since sliced bread. I get it at least three times a week. Just seeing this thread has made me crave it, so I just ordered one :) Getting Nando's takeaway is so easy. Peri peri chips, extra hot chicken mmmmmmm.

EDIT: OP Nando's is definitely NOT overrated. :p
  • Gordon gGordon g Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the UK?

The only ones that I have seen serve beer in the uk are at the airports.

Back to Nandos. We used to go there before the cinema and quite enjoyed it. However the last few times it seemed to be full of drunken teenagers mouthing off and generally being idiots.
    Forum Member
    I looked on google and there isn't much sugar in that dish, less than 3 tsp. It does have quite a lot of fat though, 50 g which is 450 calories, nearly half the meal. Carbs come in at 125 g which amounts to 500 calories, so with a relatively low amount of sugars, it will be the rice or breading on the chicken that bulk up that carb total.

I rarely have the katsu. However, even the ramen seem to be quite calorific. I'm guessing (I ought to check their website) the bulk of that will be carbs from the noodles.
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only been a few times, usually work things. I was never really wowed by it but the last time I went with my wife I really liked it. Maybe it was the company or I was just in the mood for Nando's.

It's alright but I wouldn't go out of my way.