Should cab drivers be able to choose their passengers?

joopyjoopy Posts: 1,353
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Video referenced in the article below (4th paragraph)...although I'm sure most have already seen it since it was in all the major UK online newspapers:

http://hw-mobile.worldstarhiphop.com/u/vid/2015/06/8y8bjJmp9rEG_mobile.mp4 - language unedited
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEDVIMDCsV4 - language beeped

This is an ongoing debate in America, with many cab drivers reluctant or outright refusing to pick up black passengers due to fear of violence. I believe Diane Abbott said there was a similar situation in the United Kingdom.

What do you think?
“It is illegal for a taxi to refuse you service because of your race, ethnicity, cultural background, disability or gender,” New York City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito says. “Or based on your destination".

From June 1st the city of New York introduced set fines for breaking this law. Drivers who are found guilty for a first violation face a $500 fine. A third violation within three months can lead to a $1,000 penalty and a license revocation if the driver is found guilty during a hearing.

A source in the National Taxi Workers Alliance - the biggest cab driver Union in the country - told us "Our guys are just scared. We've had drivers robbed at gunpoint, assaulted verbally and physically, spat on, some have even been killed. It's not a race issue, I'm African-American and I feel the same. It's a safety issue, that's all. If a certain dog bites you again and again, you're going to stop feeding it".

On June 20th, a driver in Brooklyn was lured to a pickup point and immediately attacked by his prospective passengers, in a video that went viral online.

According to the annual FBI Uniform Crime Report (UCR), driver assaults have soared 52% since 2008 - with African-Americans accounting for 64% of arrests in 2014, despite making up just 13% of the American population.

Comments

• jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and what abut here first?
    nobody gives a crap about anywhere else
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should passengers be able to choose their drivers?
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    If I was a cab driver I'd definitely refuse someone for whatever reason made me believe things might go awry.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very difficult one, very very difficult indeed.

Again, two sets of clashing human rights.

I guess if there is the real possibility of violence, you'd have to leave it up to the discretion of the taxi driver, in the hope that he wouldn't just apply this principle to black passengers, but to anybody who looked potentially troublesome.

Interestingly, I note that an African American cab driver feels the same
  • TinpotTinpot Posts: 2,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this on the news this morning. Somewhat conflicted, but ultimately it seems like a violation of human rights.

If a person/persons make you feel unsafe in your place of work, you shouldn't be forced by law into dealing with them. Especially on your own in a vulnerable, secluded space.

I'm surprised the law got passed.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised it got passed, too.

I remember years ago a pub I used to go in started getting a clientele that wasn't exactly friendly. A lot of the non-fighting type of customer stopped going in, and all the local taxi firms stopped picking up there. Nobody blamed the taxi firms one bit.

I'd say the same about the fact that jewellers have locked doors with a buzzer system, so they can control who comes in and who doesn't. Or security screens in front of cash desks, etc etc etc. Why shouldn't anyone who works with money/valuables want to be protected (but I do realise that mostly the firms are protecting the valuables)?

If that law means not being able to choose who you take into your car, and most likely you'll be forced to have sitting behind you as you drive, then I'd have to stop being a taxi driver.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    If those stats are right a NY cabbie could reduce his chances of being robbed by 64%, just by refusing to pick up black people.

You can see why they'd do it.
  • TinpotTinpot Posts: 2,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    If those stats are right a NY cabbie could reduce his chances of being robbed by 64%, just by refusing to pick up black people.

I actually just searched for the statistics. Could only find the 2013 report, but it was actually 66% that year. :o Crazy high at 13% of the population.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/tables/table-43

Section 46B. Although gotta remember those are just arrest figures, not convictions.
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    The thing is though that it's incredibly easy to get around laws that ban you refusing service based on skin colour etc. You are allowed to refuse service to someone without giving a reason at all, so anyone who wants to refuse service to say a black guy would just say I'm not giving you a lift mate and I'm not required to give a reason. And it can't be proven beyond reasonable doubt what his motives for refusing are.
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »

But then surely, they're picking up more of the 36% of other races that attacked someone, doubling their chances of being attacked by them...
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But then surely, they're picking up more of the 36% of other races that attacked someone, doubling their chances of being attacked by them...

Not really. They may not pick up anyone extra to make up the shortfall, but if they did, then logically, it would be from the extra 13% non black cohort, meaning that their chances of being attacked would have still dropped by about 60%, even though there might (statistically) be more attacks from white passengers..

Don't forget, the 64% of attacks is apparently from the 13% black population. Which means that the other 36% of attacks comes from the remaining 87% of fares.

Although there will probably be marked local variations.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »
    The thing is though that it's incredibly easy to get around laws that ban you refusing service based on skin colour etc. You are allowed to refuse service to someone without giving a reason at all, so anyone who wants to refuse service to say a black guy would just say I'm not giving you a lift mate and I'm not required to give a reason. And it can't be proven beyond reasonable doubt what his motives for refusing are.

Agreed. As long as the cab driver stays quiet, who could prove it? Like, interviewers who just say someone wasn't as good as the candidate who got the job. Unless they say "You're not having the job because you're a woman/black/whatever," then it's incredibly difficult to prove.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband drives a taxi, he has plenty of no go areas where he won't pick up from. He's been doing the job long enough to know who is likely to be a shutter just by looking at them and he won't pick up anyone too inebriated, it's not worth the hassle of trying to clean the car if they pee or puke.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Obviously I don't thn they should be able to make general discriminatory choices over passengers. But I do think the ability UBER provides of enabling drivers to rate customers and decide whether or not to do business with individuals, based on the history of that person, is a game changer. Lots of [assengers are really disgusting when it comes to their behaviour in taxis and I think drivers shoudl be able to refuse to carry such people.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    My husband drives a taxi, he has plenty of no go areas where he won't pick up from. He's been doing the job long enough to know who is likely to be a shutter just by looking at them and he won't pick up anyone too inebriated, it's not worth the hassle of trying to clean the car if they pee or puke.

Well quite. It must mean a severe loss of earnigns if you have to take the car off to clean it and I wonder if you ever really get rid of the smell. Maybe thats why mini cabs so often reek of chemical air fresheners.
  • joopyjoopy Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The drivers union lost their case today, so the law - and subsequent fines - will be upheld.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cabbies are desperate for customers
  • MinaHMinaH Posts: 3,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In America both the cab driver and the passenger can carry guns but the cab driver has his back to the passenger.