Options

BBC Next for takeover?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Oh dear, just on the today programme,Murders bid to buy all shares in Sky will now be referred to Jeremy Hunt, who the reporter said was more easy about the takeover.

But Ofcom must give a ruling, and who appoints Ofcom?

Vince was honest, but very inexperienced about stings, the new honey trap.

Who does Murders want next,BBC/ITV.

Comments

• Options
    nicktrownicktrow Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chillax.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well certain members of the BBC certainly made it plain what they think of Mr Hunt, I wonder what effect that might have on the outcome.

It can't help.

So with a track record of disrespect to FIFA officials helping lose the World Cup bid, having disrespected Jeremy hunt will that now weaken their influence to block any Sky takeover.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murdoch doesn't want the BBC. He's publically declared his dislike for the corporation.

He will be pushing for a case to be made for the licence fee to be axed and voluntary subscription to become the funding mechanism for the BBC. Because of course, the company he hopes to own will push to become the administrator of subscriptions to the BBC, so Murdoch will become the gatekeeper of the BBC. Murdoch likes paywalls, placing the BBC and its online news content behind a paywall would be a massive boost towards the realisation of his paywall ideology. Scary, isn't it. Jeremy Hunt, the Tories or the EC won't stop him.

Either that or he wants the end of the BBC.
  • Options
    epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the OP is just being very silly, bit like Vince Cable. News Corp is the best chance for anyone to compete effectively with the BBC in the UK.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...having disrespected Jeremy hunt will that now weaken their influence to block any Sky takeover.
    I think the Telegraph has played a big part in doing that, as part of the group of companies which got together to oppose the takeover. Difficult questions are now going to be asked as to why the Telegraph did not disclose the portion of Cable's views about Murdoch, which now will weaken the opposition's position. In fact, it'll be very difficult now for Hunt to block the takeover, Murdoch knows he has a very good case and the best lawyers money can buy if it doesn't go his way.

Robert Peston's scoop and the BBC's reporting of it will have damaged the BBC and weaken the case for the opposition too, but at least the BBC is prepared to report the story, knowing the damage it could do to the corporation, so I respect them for staying impartial.

Expect Murdoch to get his way. :(
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epsom wrote: »
    News Corp is the best chance for anyone to compete effectively with the BBC in the UK.
    I completely disagree. Sky is currently mostly a distributor for foreign content. What this country really needs is a revitalised ITV, creating new UK-targeted content that can also be exported. That would boost the entire UK creative industry, rather than just providing call centre jobs as Sky does.

Sky is a nice money earner for News Corp that gives little back to the market it services. The BBC is an obstacle in it's aim to earn even more money from the UK population, and that's why Murdoch wants rid of it, but getting rid of the BBC would only benefit Murdoch himself. We would all get shafted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    The BBC is an obstacle in it's aim to earn even more money from the UK population...
    depends how you look at it, the BBC isn't some small fish.

I'd have said that Sky is an obstacle for the BBC to earn even more money from the UK population as much as the BBC is an obstacle in Sky's aim to earn even more money from the UK population.

With the BBC as the self-declared world's largest broadcasting organisation, Sky is certainly becoming a threat to that dominance.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have said that Sky is an obstacle for the BBC to earn even more money from the UK population as much as the BBC is an obstacle in Sky's aim to earn even more money from the UK population.
    Given the rather reasonable assumption that any Sky subscriber will already be paying for a TV licence, could you explain exactly how Sky is an obstacle for the BBC to "earn even more money from the UK population" (your words)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Given the rather reasonable assumption that any Sky subscriber will already be paying for a TV licence, could you explain exactly how Sky is an obstacle for the BBC to "earn even more money from the UK population" (your words)?
    You've obviously not come across the why should I pay for the BBC when I have Sky argument before.

When you read those sentiments, clearly Sky undermines the former BBC monopoly and it's current dominace as the "world's largest broadcasting organisation", which could explain why BBC supporters hate Sky so much.
  • Options
    sugapunksugapunk Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    I completely disagree. Sky is currently mostly a distributor for foreign content. What this country really needs is a revitalised ITV, creating new UK-targeted content that can also be exported. That would boost the entire UK creative industry, rather than just providing call centre jobs as Sky does.

Sky is a nice money earner for News Corp that gives little back to the market it services. The BBC is an obstacle in it's aim to earn even more money from the UK population, and that's why Murdoch wants rid of it, but getting rid of the BBC would only benefit Murdoch himself. We would all get shafted.
    Good post, agree 100%.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've obviously not come across the why should I pay for the BBC when I have Sky argument before.
    I have seen those, but I did state that it was a reasonable assumption that those who ARE Sky subscribers will have a TV Licence.

On that basis, I will repeat my simple question:

Could you explain exactly how Sky is an obstacle for the BBC to "earn even more money from the UK population" (your words)?

A simple question sparked by your earlier statement. A question that should, I would have thought, have a simple answer, devoid of your much-loved soundbites. Unless of course you aree either going to run & hide, or simply ignore the question and provide another non-answer
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When you read those sentiments, clearly Sky undermines the former BBC monopoly and it's current dominace as the "world's largest broadcasting organisation", which could explain why BBC supporters hate Sky so much.

People hate Sky because they have a natural distrust of any organisation that has the potential for a dominance over a large sector.

People hate Microsoft for the same reason, as too often in the past such dominance has led to abuse of position.

I would have no problem with Sky subscribers not having to pay the TV Licence fee provided they had no access to BBC programmes. But I think you would find if that were implimented a lot of Sky subscribers would complain they could no longer watch BBC programmes!

The reason most people subecribe to Sky is for the sport, if they didn't have that Sky would probably have folded a very long time ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I have seen those, but I did state that it was a reasonable assumption that those who ARE Sky subscribers will have a TV Licence.
    No-one was saying they don't have a licence.

If you can't even tell the difference between not having a licence and not wanting a licence, and the effect that not wanting a licence might threaten the BBC's dominance, there's little more I can add.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well certain members of the BBC certainly made it plain what they think of Mr Hunt, I wonder what effect that might have on the outcome.

It can't help.

So with a track record of disrespect to FIFA officials helping lose the World Cup bid, having disrespected Jeremy hunt will that now weaken their influence to block any Sky takeover.

Oh God, that's just a stream of utter canards in one post!
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    People hate Sky because they have a natural distrust of any organisation that has the potential for a dominance over a large sector.

People hate Microsoft for the same reason, as too often in the past such dominance has led to abuse of position.

I would have no problem with Sky subscribers not having to pay the licence fee provided they had no accessto BBC programmes. But I think you would find if that were implimented a lot of Sky subscribers would complain they could no longer watch BBC programmes!

the reason most people subecribe to Sky is for the sport, if they didn't have that Sky would probably have folded a very long time ago.

You hit the nail on the head right there.

It would be very interesting too see what would happen if the BBC was withdrawn from Sky users who don't pay the licence fee. Many sky users watch the BBC, after all its still the most viewed/used broadcaster by far.
  • Options
    stevebrownstevebrown Posts: 1,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the BBC as the self-declared world's largest broadcasting organisation...
    Well I for one am quite proud (if it's true) that the BBC is the world's largest broadcasting organisation. It's one last thing us Brits can be proud of (certainly can't be proud of our justice system anymore).

I have a Norwegian friend who is totally envious of the fact we have the BBC; they have two BBC channels in Norway - BBC Knowlege and BBC Entertainment which mostly show older BBC programmes and he loves watching them. I asked him about their national broadcaster, NRK and what they pay for that. They pay almost double what we pay for our licence fee, yet receive far less services and programming from NRK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one was saying they don't have a licence.

If you can't even tell the difference between not having a licence and not wanting a licence, and the effect that not wanting a licence might threaten the BBC's dominance, there's little more I can add.
    So yet again, no answer to the question that I posed.

I wonder why?

Maybe it's because, yet again, you prefer to litter your posts with convenient but worthless soundbites and gross generalisations rather than anything of value
  • Options
    msimmsim Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It can't help.

Do you even take your own posts seriously? I can't imagine anyone else does.

By the way, fancy responding to my points about your criticism of Young Fishmonger Of The Year and then your proposal the BBC lease out broadcasting spectrum it does not own and has no right to sell?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stevebrown wrote: »
    Well I for one am quite proud (if it's true) that the BBC is the world's largest broadcasting organisation.
    Here's where the BBC state that is the case.
    The BBC is the largest broadcasting organisation in the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/purpose/what.shtml

Personally, I don't think that should be the role of a licence-fee funded UK public service broadcaster.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When News International takes over full control, is it possible in the future that they would want the same in Germany and Italy, and become the start of an International Broadcaster.
    Maybe a change at Sky Sports, as they say, get pan-european contracts for Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A?
  • Options
    stevebrownstevebrown Posts: 1,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Personally, I don't think that the role of a licence-fee funded UK public service broadcaster.

I think it is, in a way. We pay for it, so what if they become the biggest - and isn't that something that we as a nation should be proud of? Why shouldn't we be proud that many millions of people around the world are jealous of our national broadcaster?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    msim wrote: »
    By the way, fancy responding to my points about your criticism of Young Fishmonger Of The Year and then your proposal the BBC lease out broadcasting spectrum it does not own and has no right to sell?

Don't hold your breath.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Personally, I don't think that should be the role of a licence-fee funded UK public service broadcaster.

So what should the BBC do?
    Become an elitist broadcaster?
    Less TV channels? Less Radio Stations?

I think that their is room to cut services, say BBC 1, 2, a revamped BBC 3, and a merged Childrens's channel.

Maybe regional or sub regional radio (BBC East could do it
    that way) programming outside peak hours for local stations. 4am- 6am, 9am - midday, 2pm -4pm, 7pm-1am. Weekdays. Should be local news, info, topical programmes on the local station at other times, 6am-9am, midday-2pm, 4pm-7pm. Although if say like now, weather or other situations require they should remain local to serve the areas they cover.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Heres an idea.....

Have the government state that the BBC will be totally comercial by 2015 and must do all it can before then to prepare.

Any money above what they already earn from worldwide etc to be cut from licence fee and added to broadband pot for rural rollout.

You would hear screams of horror from Rup and his mates plus all comercial channels.

The Beeb would take vast amounts of advertising from them, on top of that it could set up any deals it liked with other companies worldwide and earn masses of extra money.

It could probably afford to outbid Sky on sports etc and that would be the beginning of the end for them.

Actually lets do it and put Vince Cable in as the new head of the commercial BBC business. I bet he does a great job squashing Sky :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big_Ted wrote: »

Heres an idea.....

Have the government state that the BBC will be totally comercial by 2015 and must do all it can before then to prepare.

Any money above what they already earn from worldwide etc to be cut from licence fee and added to broadband pot for rural rollout.

You would hear screams of horror from Rup and his mates plus all comercial channels.

The Beeb would take vast amounts of advertising from them, on top of that it could set up any deals it liked with other companies worldwide and earn masses of extra money.

It could probably afford to outbid Sky on sports etc and that would be the beginning of the end for them.

Actually lets do it and put Vince Cable in as the new head of the commercial BBC business. I bet he does a great job squashing Sky :D

NO!

Ashley Tabor would be trying to buy and (ruin). Radio 1 and 2!
    Although guess more for the radio board, would any Radio1 or 2 presenters make it on to Heart and Gold (guessing they would be his brand names). Wonder if he would also want to buy and shut down Radio 3?