TV aerial `splitter`?

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    The one star completely useless review kind of says it all. :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-Aerial-Splitter-Televison-Y-Splitter/sim/B001KWF2EG/2

Not really as the other review gave it 3 stars…and that’s only because of Amazons delivery not actually the product itself.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Not really as the other review gave it 3 stars…and that’s only because of Amazons delivery not actually the product itself.
    They deliver crap quickly. :)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    Without dismantling the thing how would you know if it's junk :eek: or not. The difference in price for a metal one is so small that it's seems just stupid to not buy the better quality item.

Assuming you can buy either at the store you're in?, and that you don't mind what is essentially a non-UK splitter, having the wrong connectors for the UK. meaning you have to either add adaptors, or new plugs to be able to use it.

The metal one you get a spec, what do you get with a plastic one - zilch.

What use would a specification be? - it's an RF splitter, the spec you give below is pretty meaningless to a customer, and essentially just says it's an 'RF splitter' :D

Presumably there's specs on the plastic ones as well - but why would anyone want to look?.

A range of high performance splitters specifically, for use with digital satellite and digital terrestrial UHF TV distribution systems, with minimal insertion loss, high return loss and isolation.
    Operating frequency 5-1000MHz
    75Ω F type connectors
    Ground terminals
    Zinc die cast housing
    Die-cast fully screened alloy housing to EN50083-2
    Earth bond provision
    ‘F' type RF connectors
    Fixing screws included
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »

Yes and nobody who knows denies that passive splitters will drop the signal, it's a case of whether you have enough signal for them. If you don't then they won't work properly, the negative reviewer presumably didn't realise this. You also never know since the gross difference whether it was faulty or they connected it wrongly.
    Forum Member

What use would a specification be? - it's an RF splitter, the spec you give below is pretty meaningless to a customer, and essentially just says it's an 'RF splitter' :D

Presumably there's specs on the plastic ones as well - but why would anyone want to look?.
    I for one would look at the spec, being RF I would want to make sure it is fully screened and as I was splitting the signal I would also want to know what the signal loss would be.

That's just me, but I have a little knowledge on signals/splitters and know what to look for, I know there are splitters out there where the loss is less/more than others, those that don't will buy the first thing they see, then when they get it home and connect it up wonder why they have crap pictures.

Thought the aim of this forum was to inform/help those that don't have this knowledge to hand?

Recommending something that is fully screened and has low loss is good advice to me.

The specs for the plastic one tells me nothing I want to know.

Brand: Philex

Fixings included: No

Waterproof (Y/N): No

Manuf part no: 19003HS/04

Interior/Exterior/Both: Interior

Category: Leads & Connectors

Qty in pack : 1
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assuming you can buy either at the store you're in?, and that you don't mind what is essentially a non-UK splitter, having the wrong connectors for the UK. meaning you have to either add adaptors, or new plugs to be able to use it.

So all the decent aerials like say a vision log40 are non-uk are they :confused:

Presumably you will often have to cut the coax anyway to fit it and f connectors are easier to fit than Belling Lees anyway.

http://www.vision-products.co.uk/subcategories.asp?categoryid=2&display=ListView

http://www.vision-products.co.uk/subcategories.asp?categoryid=3&display=ListView

No plastic crap here (there's even a Belling-Lee one to keep you happy)

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ampsandsplitters.html#AmplifierOrSplitter
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    I believe the OP was referring to the signal boosters that call100 linked too in post #2 - call100 was
    informing the OP that they could get one from their local supermarket, Tesco/Asda.

Agree it was a rude remark by call100 - tut-tut

Apologies if I have spoken out of turn.

Thank you.
    Reference the so called 'rude' remark.....Note the smiley after it...;)
    Forum Member
    I for one would look at the spec, being RF I would want to make sure it is fully screened and as I was splitting the signal I would also want to know what the signal loss would be.

The loss is pretty well the same on them all - and the insides are probably identical.

It's not like a cheaper splitter is going to have loads more components and higher loss :D
    Forum Member
    So all the decent aerials like say a vision log40 are non-uk are they :confused:

Yes - the UK (and EU) uses Belling Lee type plugs for UHF aerial connections - as on every TV sold.

The F-connector is what's used in America for TV aerials, so the aerials are essentially made for the American market.

Unfortunately it appears to be the way things are going, with American derived amplifiers etc. taking over.

Interesting that you only consider aerials with F-connectors as 'decent' - according to your post. As it's a very minor and inconsequential part of an aerial I don't see as it makes the slightest difference?.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it will only be 3.5dB from a good quality screened splitter, usually in a sealed metal container with screw on f connectors..
    Cheap plastic y splitters are very inefficient.
    Screening in no affects efficiency, cheap plastic Y splitters are generally just as good as more expensive metal ones, and many plastic ones are actually screened under the plastic anyway.

A more expensive 'obviously' screened one 'may' be better, in the one in a few thousand cases where there's some local interference that the screening 'may' help reduce.

But in the VAST majority of cases they will perform equally as well as each other.

I have to agree with Nigel here, the difference between a properly constructed plastic or metal splitter is negligible, both with have around a 3.5dB drop unless there is a lot of interference.

I can't see any getting as poor as 33/33, that would almost be a 5dB drop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I have to agree with Nigel here, the difference between a properly constructed plastic or metal splitter is negligible, both with have around a 3.5dB drop unless there is a lot of interference.

I can't see any getting as poor as 33/33, that would almost be a 5dB drop.

Depends on the frequency, losses are lower at UHF21 than at UHF68.

In the case of the labgear model

Smallest insertion loss at the lowest specified frequency (5MHz) and highest at 1000MHz.

From the ATV aerials site

Loss through splitters at UHF :

2 way = 4db 4 way = 8dB 6 way = 10dB 8 way = 12dB

For a 2 way splitter on VHF (FM/DAB) the loss would be about 3dB, and for splitting satellite IF possibly 5dB for the bottom to top of the IF frequency range (1 MHz) and 6dB for the top (2MHz).
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on the frequency, losses are lower at UHF21 than at UHF68.

Yeah it will vary a little but under 1GHz (which Freeview is) it shouldn't be any more than 4dB (40/40).
    Forum Member
    The loss is pretty well the same on them all - and the insides are probably identical.

It's not like a cheaper splitter is going to have loads more components and higher loss :D
    I would say cheaper components are of lower quality, less components, higher loss in the case of a splitter.

The splitter here has various loss figures, the minimum is higher than the 3.5db mentioned, I don't know how this would translate in picture quality on long runs, guessing it would look worse than one that's rated at 3.5db.

http://www.wiresandstuff.com/television-satellite/tv-splitters-combiners-diplexers/konig-2-way-wideband-splitter-for-tv-cable-freeview-dab-fm-vhf-uhf.html

I have used one in the past that was rated at 6.5db, I can even remember where I got it from, Tandy. :D Crap picture when both TV's were on, OK when only one was on.
    Forum Member
    I have used one in the past that was rated at 6.5db, I can even remember where I got it from, Tandy. :D Crap picture when both TV's were on, OK when only one was on.

Presumably those were simple resistive splitters? - which give about that loss.

Low-loss ones are usually a little 'transformer'.
    Forum Member
    Presumably those were simple resistive splitters? - which give about that loss.

Low-loss ones are usually a little 'transformer'.

It was one very similar to the plastic one linked to earlier.

It was replaced at a later date, one with a metal case, the difference was immediately noticable, very little drop in PQ when both TV's were on. In fact I think I still have it kicking around somewhere.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - the UK (and EU) uses Belling Lee type plugs for UHF aerial connections - as on every TV sold.

The F-connector is what's used in America for TV aerials, so the aerials are essentially made for the American market.
    Not at all.

Those of us in the aerial install trade have been standardising on F connectors for a few years now, and for several good reasons. It's nothing to do with the Americans taking over.

Belling Lees will be on TVs for years to come, and I'm pretty sure they'll stay as standard on the RF ins and outs of STBs and PVRs. But that's about the only time I have to use a BL plug. The rest of the chain is F type on the gear I install. It was only a matter of time before these plugs made their way on to consumer gear.

Personally I won't be sorry to see the back of the BL plugs. F types are a far more secure connection, particularly when crimp or compression plugs are used.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I have freeview from a rooftop aerial to the TV in my lounge. I purchased a portable aeriel for the other 2 tv's in the house, but the signal is poor as I am not near a transmitter. What is the best way to get a feed from my existing rooftop aerial to the other 2 tv's (one is about 40 feet from the signal point in the lounge). And what items should I buy to achieve this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have freeview from a rooftop aerial to the TV in my lounge. I purchased a portable aeriel for the other 2 tv's in the house, but the signal is poor as I am not near a transmitter. What is the best way to get a feed from my existing rooftop aerial to the other 2 tv's (one is about 40 feet from the signal point in the lounge). And what items should I buy to achieve this?

Masthead amp at top end (can be in loft if you can divert the downlead cable). Power supply plugged in at one of the 4 outputs.

eg

http://www.beststuff.co.uk/store/vision-v20-42056-variable-power-4-way-masthead-amplifier-with-power-supply.htm
  • ronin424ronin424 Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Hello Digital Spy is amazing isnt it? I came on here to look for info on a Tv program and while surfing around I find this, just whats giving me jib just now :)
    So I was wondering if I could also ask for advice, at the moment I have a loft aerial which was NAILED on to the supports about 15 years ago, I cant get two tv signals from it and so had been looking at getting a Masthead to replace the Y splitter.
    The first problem I cant find an answer to is that Ive read that the Mast Splitters create a "Static" on the aerial, so is going to be safe when the aerial itself is currently attached to the beams?
    The other is equally as dumb but when I look on Amazon alot of the talk about how they work for TV and VCRs etc. But none mention PVRs, as its going to used to split the signal from the aerial into two PVRs can anyone tell me if it will be of use?
    Im looking at the following on Amazon ;

SLx 27820R 4-Way Aerial Distribution Amplifier

4 way TV Aerial Masthead Amplifier - Vision Optima

Im ignoring the other Mastheads listed as none have any instructions, also does it matter if I buy a 4 way amplifier but am only going to use two of them in the forseeeable future?

I also have high quality Co-ax cables, will I have to cut them to attach the screw-in or can I buy an adapter that can connect my male cable connections into a Female screw-in?

Sorry if Im not making sense and thanks for any help forthcoming :)
    Forum Member
    ronin424 wrote: »
    So I was wondering if I could also ask for advice, at the moment I have a loft aerial which was NAILED on to the supports about 15 years ago, I cant get two tv signals from it and so had been looking at getting a Masthead to replace the Y splitter.

While 'nailing' it in place is a bit crude, it's perfectly satisfactory :D

Often they just lay on the rafters.

But a two way splitter should work OK, essentially it sends half the signal to each set (plus it loses a little) - but if your signals are strong enough to work in the roof, it's likely to be fine.

The first problem I cant find an answer to is that Ive read that the Mast Splitters create a "Static" on the aerial, so is going to be safe when the aerial itself is currently attached to the beams?

That's sounds a load of rubbish, there's no such effect or problem, and certainly no safety issues.

The other is equally as dumb but when I look on Amazon alot of the talk about how they work for TV and VCRs etc. But none mention PVRs, as its going to used to split the signal from the aerial into two PVRs can anyone tell me if it will be of use?

A PVR is no different to a TV.

Im ignoring the other Mastheads listed as none have any instructions, also does it matter if I buy a 4 way amplifier but am only going to use two of them in the forseeeable future?

No problem.

I also have high quality Co-ax cables, will I have to cut them to attach the screw-in or can I buy an adapter that can connect my male cable connections into a Female screw-in?

I'm not quite sure what you mean?, but you can get adaptors that change between the different connections anyway round you might need.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronin424 wrote: »
    Hello Digital Spy is amazing isnt it? I came on here to look for info on a Tv program and while surfing around I find this, just whats giving me jib just now :)

Sorry if Im not making sense and thanks for any help forthcoming :)

Instructions not really needed.

F connectors are very easy to fit (make sure you get the right size for your coax)

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fplugs.htm

My masthead amp is fixed in the loft with a cable tie.

Masthead amplifiers are of higher quality than the aerialdistribution amplifier and quality kit generally uses the superior f connectors.

The triax is the best amp on your list.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's sounds a load of rubbish, there's no such effect or problem, and certainly no safety issues..
    My guess is they were using "static" as in the old fashioned term for rf noise...
    Forum Member
    Gneiss wrote: »
    My guess is they were using "static" as in the old fashioned term for rf noise...

It still doesn't apply :D
  • ronin424ronin424 Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I cant find a thankyou button for each and alls posts, but thankyou for all the help.

The static thing came from a Youtube video I watched, it was an Irish engineer telling how to fit an Amp, but Ive probably picked him up wrong :D
    Thanks again :)
  • PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Can anybody reccomend a good quality splitter for for Humax freeesat leads I want to divert one onto another freesat receiver. In other words I currently have 2 into my Humax and want to split one between Humax and the new freesat receiver.

Hope tahts clear thanks.