Options

Abigail.

An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,860
Forum Member
How bad is this first named winter gale wherr you are? Are you being battered?

If you are does it make you feel differently about a winter storm that has a name? I can't come to terms, as yet with, Storm Abigail or Gale Kate (the next one apparently). Somehow they don't sound right, unlike Hurricane Michelle or Typhoon Anna.

I am not convinced of the wisdom of choosing a name each time we get a windy day. We are a small isle in the middle of four weather systems and we have frequent nasty weather but for the events we get it seems a bit weyt ( no pun intended) to name every breath of wind. Plus our weather can turn on a sixpence and Storm Jane turns into rather wet and windy Jane by the time 'she' arrives. :D

But then I don't live in the Western Isles or a particualrly windy past of the UK. Maybe if I did I would thik it only tight and proper that our storms get names just like Pacific and Atlantic weather systems.

Comments

• Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    We've had torrential rain and 60mph winds today but the wind's getting stronger.

The name thing is a bit pointless when does one become another exactly? Does it change name at midnight? Or when it's dropped below a certain level of windyness?

It's constant crappy weather here so we'd need a new name every day.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just an ordinary mild night.
    Goodnight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »
    We've had torrential rain and 60mph winds today but the winds getting stronger

Weather worthy of a name do you think? Or just an aspect of a common or garden British winter?
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 68,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blustery Billy here .....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Weather worthy of a name do you think? Or just an aspect of a common or garden British winter?

Just a normal sort of day round these parts pretty much as it was all summer really :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »
    We've had torrential rain and 60mph winds today but the wind's getting stronger.

The name thing is a bit pointless when does one become another exactly? Does it change name at midnight? Or when it's dropped below a certain level of windyness?

It's constant crappy weather here so we'd need a new name every day.

My feeling precisely. But I wondered if I am a bit complacent tucked away here in the middle of the country. Perhasp those that feel the brunt of these storms feel we trivialise their plight and these events shoudl get named just like those in the Caribbean etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blustery Billy here .....

Thats sort of it isn't it. Future weather systems could be best described as Blustery Bertha, Windy Wendy and Gusty Gertie. :D:D:D
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is more replies than my thread about this a few days ago got! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My feeling precisely. But I wondered if I am a bit complacent tucked away here in the middle of the country. Perhasp those that feel the brunt of these storms feel we trivialise their plight and these events shoudl get named just like those in the Caribbean etc.

Well here it's more unusual for it not to be blowing a gale and pouring with rain. When the storm wiped out new york a while back, i remember being surprised the wind speeds were about 50-60 mph when we regularly get 80mph and it doesn't make the news because it isn't The South.
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 68,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats sort of it isn't it. Future weather systems could be best described as Blustery Bertha, Windy Wendy and Gusty Gertie. :D:D:D

Just watch out for Monsoon Moose. It'll wreak utter havoc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jason100 wrote: »
    This is more replies than my thread about this a few days ago got! ;)

You may have peeked too soon. :) I looked for a thread on the subject. But I did want to wait until the storm was in progress before I asked how people felt about names. You knwo what the forecasters are like in the run up they make every bad weather system sound like approaching Armageddon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just watch out for Monsoon Moose. It'll wreak utter havoc.

Only to cake shops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGCODdJWRYU
  • Options
    Aslan52Aslan52 Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Storm Abigail or Gale Kate (the next one apparently)....

Wouldn't the next one be a name starting with a "B"?

It's been raining constantly here for about 3 days so the only real difference is that the rain was going a bit sideways instead of straight down.

What was a bit strange was that the rain stopped earlier but the wind kept blowing and it's dried up most of the wet ground straight away so the pavements and grassed areas all look perfectly dry but there are still rivers of floodwater running along the sides of the road etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aslan52 wrote: »
    Wouldn't the next one be a name starting with a "B"?

It's been raining constantly here for about 3 days so the only real difference is that the rain was going a bit sideways instead of straight down.

What was a bit strange was that the rain stopped earlier but the wind kept blowing and it's dried up most of the wet ground straight away so the pavements and grassed areas all look perfectly dry but there are still rivers of floodwater running along the sides of the road etc.

Apparently not. Kate is already on her way according to Accuweather

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/kate-abigail-wind-united-kingdom-ireland/53564947
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cold and a bit windy. That's it round here.
  • Options
    Aslan52Aslan52 Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently not. Kate is already on her way according to Accuweather

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/kate-abigail-wind-united-kingdom-ireland/53564947

Odd.

Maybe there have already been storms in other parts of the world that have used the intervening letters? :confused:
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you think naming a storm after a woman is sexist, you obviously have never seen the gals grabbing for items at a clearance sale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you think naming a storm after a woman is sexist, you obviously have never seen the gals grabbing for items at a clearance sale.

Who said it was sexist? :confused: Shouldn't this post be in random witterings Billy. :D
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was very windy and very wet. I had to go out and at one point was forced to drive through a very large puddle but thankfully I made it and am here to tell the tale.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in the central belt of Scotland and didn't think it was that bad. However, I woke up about 3.30am this morning and it was wild outside. Very windy and rainy with very loud thunder.

It wasn't anything like what the media was making it out to be though. Not here anyway.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought this thread was going to be sad news about the Aussie actress Abigail.

Thankfully not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

its pretty stupid...
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im on an Island in the hebridies. Its typical November weather really. Wet and Windy.
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the purpose of naming storms is to avoid confusion when there is a chain of storms running in from the north atlantic. When we had very bad storms 2 years ago there was no easy way of referring to the damage caused by a particular storm. E.g which storm damaged the railway in Devon? I understand that the names will be alternated between male and female so there is no issue of sexism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Im on an Island in the hebridies. Its typical November weather really. Wet and Windy.

So you got the brunt of this one it would seem.
    KennedyC wrote: »
    I think the purpose of naming storms is to avoid confusion when there is a chain of storms running in from the north atlantic. When we had very bad storms 2 years ago there was no easy way of referring to the damage caused by a particular storm. E.g which storm damaged the railway in Devon? I understand that the names will be alternated between male and female so there is no issue of sexism.

That makes a certain sense I suppose. It sounds like the naming is a device to assist the media more than serving any meteological purpose or of being helpful to the public at large.