Universal Drop Hd Dvd

No surprise really

The site also says the planned second season Star Trek HD DVD is cancelled from Paramount so lets hope a region free Bluray is on the way

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Site-News-HDDVD-Discontinued/9027

Comments

• You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought region encoding was mandatory on Bluray?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »

All Blu-ray hardware supports region coding on Blu-ray and DVD media however it's a purely a commercial decision by each studio as to how they use it.

Just as with DVD you can get Region 0 disks you can get Region free Blu-ray.
  • atvmidlandsatvmidlands Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »

At the moment 75% of US Bluray titles are region free, even some Sony/Columbia ones.

Only Fox region code every title
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a rumour circlating that Paramount are will be releasing Transformers onto blu-ray attire :D

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/16/paramounts-transformers-showing-up-in-blu-ray-attire/

If this is the case, I will be a happy bunny for a change
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a rumour circlating that Paramount are will be releasing Transformers onto blu-ray attire :D

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/16/paramounts-transformers-showing-up-in-blu-ray-attire/

If this is the case, I will be a happy bunny for a change

As Paramount have already cancelled Star Trek on HDDVD its no surprise that their HD DVD schedule will dry up shortly and quickly be followed by BD releases for all the major HD DVD titles that never came out on BD
  • B-29B-29 Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "While Universal values the close partnership we have shared with Toshiba, it is time to turn our focus to releasing new and catalog titles on Blu-ray," said Craig Kornblau, president of Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

"The path for widespread adoption of the next-generation platform has finally become clear. Universal will continue its aggressive efforts to broaden awareness for hi-def’s unparalleled offerings in interactivity and connectivity, at an increasingly affordable price. The emergence of a single, high-definition format is cause for consumers, as well as the entire entertainment industry, to celebrate."

Let's hope they start releasing immediately after this statement.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    >>At the moment 75% of US Bluray titles are region free, even some Sony/Columbia ones.<<

Anyone know if the Harry Potter BD are region free? They're only $20 each in the US but cost £18 each here. Even with import duty they work out loads cheaper, and no issues with NTSC vs PAL anymore!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grumsta wrote: »
    >>At the moment 75% of US Bluray titles are region free, even some Sony/Columbia ones.<<

Anyone know if the Harry Potter BD are region free? They're only $20 each in the US but cost £18 each here. Even with import duty they work out loads cheaper, and no issues with NTSC vs PAL anymore!
    To the best of my knowledge all Harry Potter BD's are region free. Order one at a time there should be no import duty to pay for.
  • B-29B-29 Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TommyW wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge all Harry Potter BD's are region free. Order one at a time there should be no import duty to pay for.

I recently picked up 3 H Potter movies for £36, luck out for deals at HMV or Play.com.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumsta wrote: »

Yes , all the US Harry Potter releases are region free.
    As are all the Blade Runner sets and many others.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that Warner do not use region coding on any of their Bluray titles.