Hanging a flat screen TV on the wall.....

VinnienetVinnienet Posts: 2,100
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Probably a daft question but I'll ask it anyhow, is it a NO NO to hang a TV on a partition wall? My new 55" screen has just arrived at the same time as the bracket I bought and the sheer weight of the TV makes me think it'll all end in tears.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Thats an engineering Q........ partition walls are generally made by plasterboard nailed to a wooden stud framework. If you are able to ensure all of your TV bracket screws go in to the framework you might get away with it, but i doubt you'd be so lucky:(.

Otherwise you are hanging your bracket on pasterboard alone - you'd be right about the tears!:cry:

If you really want to give it ago, i'll swap you my CRT and you can smash that instead.;)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,429
    Forum Member
    As long as it's a flat fitting mount, and you get at least some (as many as possible) big screws in the studs, and plenty of plasterboard fixings in the rest (the type that open up behind the plasterboard) then it should be fine.
  • TomDaOneTomDaOne Posts: 11,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you do risk hanging it, just make sure you get the correct height for comfortable viewing by sitting on your sofa and judging it. You don't want to fall into the trap of doing it standing up and then end up getting neck strain whenever it comes to sitting down to watch a bit of telly. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it a bit tacky anyway?

Nothing worse than when people hang them above the fireplace... not only are they at risk of overheating when the fire's on... but you also get a crick in the neck any time you want to watch it!
  • VinnienetVinnienet Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I'm going to do it.

Can anyone recommend a good unit, preferably that I can order online and have delivered that I can use to stand this 55" behemoth on?

I'm not saying I'm out of touch or owt but I was on the way home from work the other day and I thought I'd pop into MFI to see what they had. Imagine my surprise when....
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Isn't it a bit tacky anyway?

Nothing worse than when people hang them above the fireplace... not only are they at risk of overheating when the fire's on... but you also get a crick in the neck any time you want to watch it!

Nothing quite as bad as that lol, its horrible how people do that, its the worst config possible. Screens should be at eye level, Its not a painting to go over the fire place heh.

Partition walls are pretty strong, else they'd be dangerous, imagine them just toppling over if you bumped into em:P

So hanging a tv on a stud is no big issue. Just make sure the mount anchors are all correct for wall type and there are enough of em. The weight of a tv s nothing compared to other things like shelves of books etc.
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vinnienet wrote: »
    I don't think I'm going to do it.

Can anyone recommend a good unit, preferably that I can order online and have delivered that I can use to stand this 55" behemoth on?

I'm not saying I'm out of touch or owt but I was on the way home from work the other day and I thought I'd pop into MFI to see what they had. Imagine my surprise when....

We've got something similar to this one.
  • VinnienetVinnienet Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Kenny, Argos seems a decent bet, although it's not the kind of place where you can go and view them, they look fine in pics but my TV is 55" wide and would probably dwarf something like that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got one of these [click] for £25, plus £20 delivery at dclstore.co.uk :D:D Now about £60 at Scan.

Still great value for money, but they're out of stock now. I've seen it for £115 or so elsewhere. :eek:

It is 1270cm wide - that's more than twice as wide as any hifi kit or a desktop PC (horizontally laid out). And takes a 63" screen, no problem.

The only issue might be in the placement of a centre speaker if you have a surround sound system.
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you say, it's very hard to judge from the picture, but I would assume that as they come in various screen sizes, and that one says "up to 60"", that it would be the same width as a 60" TV. The one we got for a 40" TV is the same width as the TV.

Edit: Just noticed this comment on the feedback section: "very simple to put together, strong and sturdy construction easily takes a 50" plasma tv.Looks really nice too. Highly recomended"
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Ikea do some nice looking stands and units...IKEA TV Solutions
  • gsj06gsj06 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    J had the very problem mate, I got a joiner to put mine up, he fitted wooden straps on the wall first then the tele onto the straps, he gave me a garantee it would be ok and it is, for over 9 months now, cheaper than the tele falling of the wall I think, it actually cost me £40.00 for the joiner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    To set the correct height for your wall mounted TV sit in the chairs you normally use to watch TV. Sit up straight and look straight ahead. Note the point on the wall which is level with your eyes. Mark this, this is the base line for the TV.
    You should not put TVs above an open Gas/coal fire. The heat from these goes straight up. You need an electric fire that blows the hot air down and out – most modern electric fires do this
    Work out how you are going to route cables such as HDMI, Scart, aerials, Power and other leads such as WII.
    Unless you are certain to get at least 2 of the frame mounting bolts in the stud work I would mount a metal plate/wooden straps on the wall that does, it will be covered by the TV, and then mount the TV to that.
    I have recently mounted my 32 inch Panasonic and it looks great. I buried all cables (and some extra HDMI leads – future proofing) in the wall and built cupboards to house my equipment.
    Best of luck
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    If you're doing it yourself make sure everything is attached to the wooden supports on the partition and then you should be OK. Have a look online for the best prices on brackets for wall mounting. If in doubt, as gsj06 says, get a carpenter or joiner to do it. They can reinforce things if necessary and are a LOT cheaper than a smashed TV and wrecked wall!