iPhone 5 v Samsung Galaxy Note

BellaroooBellarooo Posts: 2,412
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Which would you say is the better phone?

Comments

• Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean the original note or the note 2?
  • BellaroooBellarooo Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean the original note or the note 2?

Note 2 sorry :)
  • hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPhone 5 by far just because of the size. How anyone would want to own a phone that doesnt fit in the palm of their hand comfortably, I don't know.

iOS is superior to Android also along with the design. :D
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about iPhone 5 versus Orange San Diego versus Galaxy S3 Mini.

Closer comparisons with no Phablet in sight.
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    This is a lame response, but it really depends on what you're looking for from your phone.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    hotmat3k wrote: »
    iPhone 5 by far just because of the size. How anyone would want to own a phone that doesnt fit in the palm of their hand comfortably, I don't know.

Because we all like different things? Why anyone would want a tiny screen on an iphone is anyones guess for me.

It may have been in 2007, nowadays Android outsells iOS massively. There is nothing iOS can do Android cant so its not superior at all.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Googles Android operating system may well out sell Apples iOS, but then iOS is only available on 3 or 4 Highend handsets. Android is available on over 2000 different handsets. Some as cheap as £29.99.

But if Android was only on 3 or 4 handsets ranging in price from £380 to £600+ I wonder how many sales it would have then? NOT MANY
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bellarooo wrote: »
    Which would you say is the better phone?

If you are willing to be seen with a massive phone up against your ear it doesn't matter which is better. You will be left with no self esteem;)
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    Googles Android operating system may well out sell Apples iOS, but then iOS is only available on 3 or 4 Highend handsets. Android is available on over 2000 different handsets. Some as cheap as £29.99.

But if Android was only on 3 or 4 handsets ranging in price from £380 to £600+ I wonder how many sales it would have then? NOT MANY

Not many? Don't be so daft! Lets leave out the cheap handsets then and focus on the top end. The S3 outsold the 4S at one point. The Nexus 4 is rare as hens teeth simply as they are selling out the second they hit the store.

Not many indeed....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Because we all like different things? Why anyone would want a tiny screen on an iphone is anyones guess for me.

It may have been in 2007, nowadays Android outsells iOS massively. There is nothing iOS can do Android cant so its not superior at all.
    How is it a tiny screen? We all used to deal with 96 x 96 dot matrix screens on Nokia's! For phone/messaging functions, the iPhone 4/5 are the right size for any hand. Where a phone requires me to use my 2nd hand to do all of the functions, then it isnt a phone. Simple as that.

Only the Samsung Galaxy II or III has ever beaten the iPhone for 1 vs 1 sales in terms of Android. I admit Android can do everything, but iOS is much simpler to use. Even for the non-techies out there. For all my non-techy family, they love the iPhone/iPad and dumped their complicated Nokia's/Android's when I showed them what they were missing out on. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is it a tiny screen? We all used to deal with 96 x 96 dot matrix screens on Nokia's! For phone/messaging functions, the iPhone 4/5 are the right size for any hand. Where a phone requires me to use my 2nd hand to do all of the functions, then it isnt a phone. Simple as that.

Only the Samsung Galaxy II or III has ever beaten the iPhone for 1 vs 1 sales in terms of Android. I admit Android can do everything, but iOS is much simpler to use. Even for the non-techies out there. For all my non-techy family, they love the iPhone/iPad and dumped their complicated Nokia's/Android's when I showed them what they were missing out on. :)

The really weird thing is the vast majority of mobile phone users have "tiny screens", it makes you wonder how they have all got it so wrong:rolleyes:
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Depends what you want to do with the two phones but in general terms the note 2 is superior in most ways and cheaper. Unless there is some reason you want the small screen of the iphone I would go for the note 2.
    Forum Member

Used to. That's the point.

Ah the old one handed argument again. Its not simple. I can use an S3 and my new Nexus 4 with one hand. Kind of puts your argument to bed there doesn't it? And before you start, i have average hands. I'm also watching the Mrs just now drone away on the landline to her mum while texting her pal on her S3 with 1 hand. Shes a petite size 12 female.

I do wish apple nuts would drop this argument as its not valid at all. Stop believing what the ads tell you.

iOS is not much simpler to use at all in no way shape or form. My 80 year old nana prefers Android to her ipad. My apple nut of a father did prefer his iphone 5 until he played with my new nexus 4 the other day as he said the simplicity was better than the iphone. I dont think he will switch as he owns everything apple.

Your missing out on nothing changing to iOS.

Actually, now you have said it, care to tell me what is easier on iOS than it is Android? From what i remember you had multiple things to do to turn wifi on...
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    The really weird thing is the vast majority of mobile phone users have "tiny screens", it makes you wonder how they have all got it so wrong:rolleyes:

Here we go again....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to. That's the point.

Ah the old one handed argument again. Its not simple. I can use an S3 and my new Nexus 4 with one hand. Kind of puts your argument to bed there doesn't it? And before you start, i have average hands. I'm also watching the Mrs just now drone away on the landline to her mum while texting her pal on her S3 with 1 hand. Shes a petite size 12 female.

I do wish apple nuts would drop this argument as its not valid at all. Stop believing what the ads tell you.
    I disagree, but hey; we're all human aren't we? I've got pretty average hands and can never use the S3 or any phone 4"+ in size comfortably. I prefer not to have a hand-grenade sized object in my pocket. Anything bigger than than the iPhone defeats the object of a portable phone.
    iOS is not much simpler to use at all in no way shape or form. My 80 year old nana prefers Android to her ipad. My apple nut of a father did prefer his iphone 5 until he played with my new nexus 4 the other day as he said the simplicity was better than the iphone. I dont think he will switch as he owns everything apple.

Your missing out on nothing changing to iOS. In fact, you lose a lot.
    My guess is that you've never used iOS. But I'm not going to bash you for having a very biased opinion. Android IMHO is a messy OS. Slow, sluggish and very virus/malware prone as proved time after time. An value for money on Android devices? That's another thing. The manufacturer dumps support/upgrades as soon their next device is ready for the new OS. Again, bad for security for people who like to make use of their devices of 24 month contracts as minimum.

We could argue these points all-day. I'm simply a tech-nut who likes simplicity outside of my job. Android created hassle when I used it. iOS doesn't for me. It's that simple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here we go again....

The reason is you keep using this childish term as "tiny screen".

How do you define this? (or is it just reserved for your view of iPhones).

My samsung has a 3.8" screen but I would never describe it as tiny. The s3 and nexus 4 have smaller screens than the note, are their screens tiny?

Oh, and the vast majority do have "tiny screens" by your definition, so what do you mean by here we go again.

Over to you:)
    Forum Member
    The reason is you keep using this childish term as "tiny screen".

How do you define this? (or is it just reserved for your view of iPhones).

My samsung has a 3.8" screen but I would never describe it as tiny. The s3 and nexus 4 have smaller screens than the note, are their screens tiny?

Oh, and the vast majority do have "tiny screens" by your definition, so what do you mean by here we go again.

Over to you:)

Tiny by my definition of being usable. Not remotely childish. I fail to see how that could be childish anyway but hey ho...:rolleyes:

Here we go again is every single time someone here makes a comment these days, you make a sarcastic smartarse reply without absolutely any proper input to the subject.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiny by my definition of being usable. Not remotely childish. I fail to see how that could be childish anyway but hey ho...:rolleyes:

Here we go again is every single time someone here makes a comment these days, you make a sarcastic smartarse reply without absolutely any proper input to the subject.

So that we are clear, by tiny, you mean it is not usable?

I'll make what comment I wish, whether you find it valid doesn't concern me as the number of comments you have made without proper input is massive.
    Forum Member
    So that we are clear, by tiny, you mean it is not usable?

Yes. Problem?

I'll make what comment I wish, whether you find it valid doesn't concern me as the number of comments you have made without proper input is massive.

Really. I cannot remember once you making a comment that had anything to do with the subject matter. I however do normally then drawn into some war by you or another member i shall not mention.

Anyway, before this thread gets closed for off topicness, i suggest we both drop it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really. I cannot remember once you making a comment that had anything to do with the subject matter. I however do normally then drawn into some war by you or another member i shall not mention.

Anyway, before this thread gets closed for off topicness, i suggest we both drop it.

No surprised, you have a very selective memory.

You advised the op that a note was better than a iPhone because the iPhone has a tiny screen. I was after clarity from your comment as I wondered if that also excluded the S3 and nexus 4.

I also wanted to show the op that this was not very good advice as I have a 3.8" screen and find it very usable.

I think I contributed as much as you:)
    Forum Member
    No surprised, you have a very selective memory.

Naturally i do....:rolleyes:
    You advised the op that a note was better than a iPhone because the iPhone has a tiny screen. I was after clarity from your comment as I wondered if that also excluded the S3 and nexus 4.

They wanted opnions. I gave mine. The note 2 is also much more feature rich than the iphone is.
    I also wanted to show the op that this was not very good advice as I have a 3.8" screen and find it very usable.

In your opinion. This seems to be where you have a problem.
    I think I contributed as much as you:)

I see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another android vs iOS debate:D

I think it depends on who you are asking.

Objectively the Note has much better specs.

However for those that like iOS, they will say things like it just works and talk about the fluidity of the iPhone and its ecosystem.

I have the original note and I've just been given an iPod touch for Xmas. I also owned the iPhone 4 and the 3G in the past. Using both iOS and android side by side, I've found features of both that I like. iOS is simpler and less laggy, however android is more customisable and you can do more with it. iOS is more limited, but most things work out of the box. Sometimes android requires more work, but I enjoy tinkering about with things and you can get it to do a lot more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree, but hey; we're all human aren't we? I've got pretty average hands and can never use the S3 or any phone 4"+ in size comfortably. I prefer not to have a hand-grenade sized object in my pocket. Anything bigger than than the iPhone defeats the object of a portable phone.

My guess is that you've never used iOS. But I'm not going to bash you for having a very biased opinion. Android IMHO is a messy OS. Slow, sluggish and very virus/malware prone as proved time after time. An value for money on Android devices? That's another thing. The manufacturer dumps support/upgrades as soon their next device is ready for the new OS. Again, bad for security for people who like to make use of their devices of 24 month contracts as minimum.

We could argue these points all-day. I'm simply a tech-nut who likes simplicity outside of my job. Android created hassle when I used it. iOS doesn't for me. It's that simple.

To be fair the newer android devices are not sluggish. My nexus 7 and the other half's S3 are smooth and fast, yet my original note and galaxy tab 2 can be laggy sometimes. iOS is smoother but it doesn't have to do as much as android, so that's only to be expected really.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither, get a Nexus 4 :D
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member

The Note and the Note 2 have a capacitive stylus which would be impossible to use one handed. For that reason alone, the point about it being too large for one handed operation is moot. Admittedly using it when one is standing in a crowded tube train would be difficult, but how often would that happen in real world terms?

As for screen size, I love watching Netflix in bed on the brilliant 5.3" screen. Yes I could go downstairs and watch it on the living room telly, but lying in bed at night watching films is so damn comfortable.