Downton Abbey Series Four Thread.

Comments

• Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hijack this thread but the only time i viewed Downton Abbey was at Christmas and I quite enjoyed it, so is it worth it watching it from the start so I get a feel for the series and it characters or should I just jump in from series four onwards?
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hijack this thread but the only time i viewed Downton Abbey was at Christmas and I quite enjoyed it, so is it worth it watching it from the start so I get a feel for the series and it characters or should I just jump in from series four onwards?

You're not hijacking the thread at all.:) Welcome.

I'd say, if you can, watch the first three series. While there are stories that last one or two episodes, there are a few crucial story arcs that take the characters to where they are in the 2012 Christmas episode. You'd miss a lot without it, really.

The first three series span about 9 years so there's a lot of character interaction. A few dud plotlines but mostly good ones, too.

If you do decide to watch from the beginning, ITV3 is repeating every episode from Monday so it's a good time to catch up for free!
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not hijacking the thread at all.:) Welcome.

I'd say, if you can, watch the first three series. While there are stories that last one or two episodes, there are a few crucial story arcs that take the characters to where they are in the 2012 Christmas episode. You'd miss a lot without it, really.

The first three series span about 9 years so there's a lot of character interaction. A few dud plotlines but mostly good ones, too.

If you do decide to watch from the beginning, ITV3 is repeating every episode from Monday so it's a good time to catch up for free!

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the information regarding the ITV 3 repeats, set the PVR.

Looking forward to it.:)
  • Janey_BeeJaney_Bee Posts: 319
    Forum Member

I'm guessing Edna, maybe? Not spoilering, as I don't know for sure.

I'd love it to be Gwen though, but she's in Games of Thrones or something now, and no-one else has left 'downstairs' alive, have they? Well, Ethel, but I heard Amy Nuttall isn't coming back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started watching Downton on Netflix last week and I was so gripped by it that I watched every single episode in a matter of days! Absolutely adore Maggie Smith and her witty one liners timed to perfection. Currently suffering from withdrawl symptoms so cannot wait for the new series.
  • ZipgoesamillionZipgoesamillion Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LDN wrote: »
    I started watching Downton on Netflix last week and I was so gripped by it that I watched every single episode in a matter of days! Absolutely adore Maggie Smith and her witty one liners timed to perfection. Currently suffering from withdrawl symptoms so cannot wait for the new series.

Yes, it's a very addictive programme. Not long to go now if you're in the UK!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's a very addictive programme. Not long to go now if you're in the UK!

Last day of filming the CS. Cast have been spotted filming at Royal Holloway. Maggie and Michelle, not sure who else is there, although I don't think Tom (Allen Leech) is involved, as he tweeted last week that he had wrapped for the series. Plenty of extras involved. It will be interesting to see where these scenes pop-up and in what context in the CS. I'm sure it's not the end scene!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an article in Attitude magazine with Tom Cullen about his character, Lord Gillingham. It gives slightly more info than has previously been seen.

He’s called Tony Foyle—or Lord Gillingham to give him his formal title. He’s an interesting guy and I’ve enjoyed playing him. The series is set in 1922 so a man of his age has gone through the First World War and seen real changes in Britain. I wanted him to be a guy that carries a lot of stuff with him: stuff he’s witnessed and stuff he’s been through. On the outside he’s a very nice guy, but on the inside I think he’s a lot darker and has a lot of pain in him.

He sounds intriguing. Is he a potential love interest for Lady Mary?

I do have a lot of scenes with Michelle Dockery, who plays Lady Mary, which has been amazing. But as the series begins she’s coming out of mourning, so to say ‘love interest’ is slightly wrong. I guess they just get along very well. She’s obviously dealing with the loss of her husband, and my character hasn’t fully come to terms with his father’s death, so there’s a certain amount of understanding between them

Attitude Magazine, Tom Cullen
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Jane Moorsum maybe?

It's Edna (think that's her name) the maid who was chasing after Tom in the CS and was later given her marching orders by Mrs Hughes. The actor who plays her has previously tweeted that she is returning for at least the early part of S4. The only other person in S1 I could think of, excluding Rose was Carson's former partner in music hall, when he was apart of the Cheeky Chappies.
  • bebecatbebecat Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I am already hoping for a season 5 and being in the US, won't even see this one until next year (probably...).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an extract from a photo-shoot for Glamour magazine on Tumblr about Charles Blake, one of the new men being introduced. Apparently he's a civil servant with austerity on his mind, works for the government and is investigating the economic health of the estate. He takes an instant dislike to Mary and she to him. Sounds rather like she did to Matthew when he first arrived, although he didn't feel the same towards her.
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decided to watch Downton from the beginning instead of waiting for it to start on Monday on ITV 3. Funny as I have been watching the first series it keeps bringing to mind the brilliant BBC parody. So I find myself comparing certain scenes.:D
    Not long to go for the new series. Yippeee!;)
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an extract from a photo-shoot for Glamour magazine on Tumblr about Charles Blake, one of the new men being introduced. Apparently he's a civil servant with austerity on his mind, works for the government and is investigating the economic health of the estate. He takes an instant dislike to Mary and she to him. Sounds rather like she did to Matthew when he first arrived, although he didn't feel the same towards her.

Seriously how many men is up for Mary's attention this series.:rolleyes:
    What about Edith if the Gregson thing doesn't work out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously how many men is up for Mary's attention this series.:rolleyes:
    What about Edith if the Gregson thing doesn't work out.

Probably 2, Gillingham & Blake. I haven't included Evelyn Napier, as Mary wasn't attracted to him in S1. In fact she found him boring. On that basis I think she might consider him a friend, but nothing more. She was keen for him to stay at Downton (S2) during the war, after he had been wounded.
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LDN wrote: »

That's quite an achievement - 25 episodes in a few days! :eek:
    bebecat wrote: »
    I am already hoping for a season 5 and being in the US, won't even see this one until next year (probably...).

Don't worry - barring a ratings disaster this autumn, series 5 will be made next year. It's already effectively in pre-production and ITV is very committed to Downton. :)

Just to add re ratings - last year's numbers were phenomenal. They'd been expected to dip - after all, every programme's ratings are down these days - but they went up. I would expect them to be down this year but then again, there's more interest than ever before so who knows....
  • violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a big interview with Elizabeth McGovern today in mail on Sunday supplement.

She mentioned Tom's romance with xxxx and whether he decides to marry her.

Also talked about no deaths in this series and main cast signed up for 2 years and I am in every episode this year.

Me being Dame Maggie lol

Also I read think it same mag that Julian had written the whole series when Dan decided enough was enough and he leaving.

He gave him outlet to appear in the odd episode but Dan said kill him off at the end of series 4.

Julian wanted to kill him off this series but Dan said no.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to say I do not know how to put spoiler so have not mentioned who Tom decides who to marry or not but she working class so it will effect his decision whether she can 'fit' in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh it was episode 4 series 4 that Dan told Julian that he wouldn't be appearing in series 5 so Julian had to re write the remaining episodes. He had notice that Jessica was leaving well in advance but he did not want to devote a whole episode to Matthew dying because he thought it was too much death of a major character and he begged Dan to re consider appear in odd episode or die in series 5 as he thought it was too much of a sad ending at Christmas.

But Dan said no kill him off at Christmas.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh it was episode 4 series 4 that Dan told Julian that he wouldn't be appearing in series 5 so Julian had to re write the remaining episodes. He had notice that Jessica was leaving well in advance but he did not want to devote a whole episode to Matthew dying because he thought it was too much death of a major character and he begged Dan to re consider appear in odd episode or die in series 5 as he thought it was too much of a sad ending at Christmas.

But Dan said no kill him off at Christmas.

He obviously had no consideration for anyone else but himself. Good riddance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He obviously had no consideration for anyone else but himself. Good riddance.

Julian felt because Dan said he not doing any more after series 4 whilst he had already written the whole series it would be too much for viewers to devote another hour to another death of a major star when Jessica's death had already been written in. So cos Dan would not appear in any more episodes and it was late in the day that had to tag his death at the end of the Christmas episode and they did not want to do this. They felt the Christmas episode should have ended on a high note.
  • ScoutletScoutlet Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a big interview with Elizabeth McGovern today in mail on Sunday supplement.

She mentioned Tom's romance with xxxx and whether he decides to marry her.

Also talked about no deaths in this series and main cast signed up for 2 years and I am in every episode this year.

Me being Dame Maggie lol

Also I read think it same mag that Julian had written the whole series when Dan decided enough was enough and he leaving.

He gave him outlet to appear in the odd episode but Dan said kill him off at the end of series 4.

Julian wanted to kill him off this series but Dan said no.

is there a link to EM's interview by any chance?

Also I believe Edna is the one returning looking for a job:

http://oneithersidetheriverlie.tumblr.com/post/58279824391/inside-the-downton-abbey-press-launch-what-we-learned
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scoutlet wrote: »
    is there a link to EM's interview by any chance?

Also I believe Edna is the one returning looking for a job:

http://oneithersidetheriverlie.tumblr.com/post/58279824391/inside-the-downton-abbey-press-launch-what-we-learned

Scoutlet: I think this may be the article you are looking for:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2396431/Downtons-Rock-Chick-You-know-prim-proper-Lady-Cora-really-shes-hot-headed-Sadie-.html
  • ScoutletScoutlet Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks. Yes, I found it. The quote is the same one she gave during her June interview, pretty much word for word. So nothing new but it's fun to see her in her regular wardrobe!