That Michelle aint right in the head

2»

Comments

• Options
    pinkprintpinkprint Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mw0390 wrote: »
    it wasnt bad though lol, people are just too used to DTC's shocks and surprises every week and have forgotten what character dirven storylines are actually like

Well I actually like the character driven drama. However it did not work for me, because this woman is not Michelle! I do not care for her, and just spent the episode trying to picture what the real Michelle would look like.
    Of all the characters killed on and off screen over the past decade or so, why not just kill off this character seeing as the actress never wants to come back and put it to bed once and for all?

Hate to bring up R&R again but this is why its so bizarre. Two actresses some would argue 'iconic' characters, who both wanted to stay, axed and killed off.
    An actress who does not want to come back, gets replaced!

There is no logic to this show anymore. its dieing on its arse.
  • Options
    mystery23mystery23 Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actress isn't very good

Letitia Dean was 10x better than her tonight
  • Options
    mw0390mw0390 Posts: 23,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pinkprint wrote: »
    Well I actually like the character driven drama. However it did not work for me, because this woman is not Michelle! I do not care for her, and just spent the episode trying to picture what the real Michelle would look like.
    Of all the characters killed on and off screen over the past decade or so, why not just kill off this character seeing as the actress never wants to come back and put it to bed once and for all?

Hate to bring up R&R again but this is why its so bizarre. Two actresses some would argue 'iconic' characters, who both wanted to stay, axed and killed off.
    An actress who does not want to come back, gets replaced!

There is no logic to this show anymore. its dieing on its arse.

but i will repeat what i have said so many times before, why shouldnt Ronnie and Roxy have been axed, just because the actresses's wanted to stay? if that was the case we would be left with so many characters lol, Ronnie needed her punishment and she has already been to jail, so death was the perfect exit for her, Rita would never have returned without Sam so again having them die together was perfect for me, i really dont get the hysteria over it
  • Options
    jcotter779jcotter779 Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely disagree.

Bizarre was the period after the Lucy reveal to the end of DTC's tenure...You know that time when there was a weekly thread about Sam Womack phoning in her performance to all the bizarre character changes to fit a storyline.

Right decision to kill off R+R. No more Roxy getting into a pickle and Ronnie having to fish her out of it shouting " you're ma sista" for the gazillionth time because that's all we were ever going to see from them.

Took guts to do that. I just wish he had taken his guts a little bit further and killed off Philth when there was the storyline to do so.

As to Michelle...Well I think it's a perfectly good recast. There's plenty of mileage left in the character and why should the show be denied that mileage just because the original ( who hasn't actually acted much since 1998) isn't interested.

You say this Michelle isn't Michelle.
    Well no one is the same at 50 as they were in their 20's. People move on, change, some mellow, others don't.
    This Michelle is a bit different but some things are the same.
    She was an entitled cow then and she's an entitled cow now.

I don't know what the plans are for her...If she's sticking around or what but I would be happy to keep her.

I've really enjoyed EE again since SOC took over and I hope that continues.
    The only thing that's annoying me is the Dot/cat storyline although it is effective in portraying her loneliness/ isolation.

The forum is all about opinions ma man!
  • Options
    Heathyheath_Heathyheath_ Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pinkprint wrote: »
    I would not say they are in 'denial', I think the few who are enjoying it, genuinly are. Hence my comments about it becoming a 'cult' show, its only being aimed at a certain section of the audience wanting that 80s community feel of the show back. .

I didn't see an 80s feel to tonight's episode. I seen a character who has given the general audience zero reason to connect to her, drearily read off terrible lines for half an hour to nothing but widespread contempt on everywhere apart from here. Michelle is now known as an interfering old shrew who is legally a peadophile to anybody new to the character, I can't see how any of this has came across well.
  • Options
    holidaynumptyholidaynumpty Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcotter779 wrote: »
    The forum is all about opinions ma man!

And that was mine :p I hope you didn't need an "IMO"....lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see an 80s feel to tonight's episode. I seen a character who has given the general audience zero reason to connect to her, drearily read off terrible lines for half an hour to nothing but widespread contempt on everywhere apart from here. Michelle is now known as an interfering old shrew who is legally a peadophile to anybody new to the character, I can't see how any of this has came across well.

shes not a peadophile, sex offender yes, but peadophile isnt the right word to use
  • Options
    jcotter779jcotter779 Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And that was mine :p I hope you didn't need an "IMO"....lol

:D haha nope not needed mate.
  • Options
    TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont watch it then if it annoys you so much.

That must be one of the most lame defence responses on here.
  • Options
    MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle was always a character who made bad decisions, this is totally in line with what she's done before.
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    mw0390 wrote: »
    but i will repeat what i have said so many times before, why shouldnt Ronnie and Roxy have been axed, just because the actresses's wanted to stay? if that was the case we would be left with so many characters lol, Ronnie needed her punishment and she has already been to jail, so death was the perfect exit for her, Rita would never have returned without Sam so again having them die together was perfect for me, i really dont get the hysteria over it

:D:D:D

Has Rita left the Cabin and moved to the East End? :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    :D:D:D

Has Rita left the Cabin and moved to the East End? :D:D:D

Rita simons who played Roxy
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Well I've just watched it. God help me.
    It wasn't actually horrendously bad to be fair. I mean it was crap but not AS crap as I was expecting going by on here and social media.
    I don't feel Michelle going off with a 17 year old was totally out of character, as she was always making stupid decisions in the old days.
    However this is still not Michelle, I just can't get my head around it. Nothing seems right, its like I'm watching an EastEnders in an alternate universe.
    If Susan Tully didn't want to come back then just leave the character and move on ffs.
    I see this random nonsense with Dot is still rumbling on as well.
    I still stand by SOC being the worst thing to happen to this show since Birkwood, worse than Birkwood in fact. He's done just as much damage in 5 months as Birkwood did in his time on the show!
    This is my opinion and I hold my right to air it! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I saw it.
    A woman having a midlife crisis, struggling in her marriage and seeking refuge with a VERY young man.
    Hark back..She was 16, Den Watts was 39.
    She is NOT a peadophile.

I think we will reconnect with her. At the moment she's lashing out. Her marriage is gone, her lover is gone, her career is gone. She's basically rock bottom ATM.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    MR_Pitkin wrote: »
    Michelle was always a character who made bad decisions, this is totally in line with what she's done before.

I was thinking this too - she had an affair with her married boss - told him it was "just sex" then got stroppy when he would not leave his wife for her.

Shagged Grant and had his son - let's not forget banging her best friend's father and having his baby.

Although the sexless marriage she is describing is all too real and does cause extreme behaviour in some sufferers
  • Options
    ZarlaZarla Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    We're also supposed to think that a 'gorgeous' 17 year old would be interested in having sex with her. Sorry, no - she's no Caroline Flack, is she?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Well I've just watched it. God help me.
    It wasn't actually horrendously bad to be fair. I mean it was crap but not AS crap as I was expecting going by on here and social media.
    I don't feel Michelle going off with a 17 year old was totally out of character, as she was always making stupid decisions in the old days. Mr Michael
    However this is still not Michelle, I just can't get my head around it. Nothing seems right, its like I'm watching an EastEnders in an alternate universe.
    If Susan Tully didn't want to come back then just leave the character and move on ffs.
    I see this random nonsense with Dot is still rumbling on as well.
    I still stand by SOC being the worst thing to happen to this show since Birkwood, worse than Birkwood in fact. He's done just as much damage in 5 months as Birkwood did in his time on the show!
    This is my opinion and I hold my right to air it! :D

And you are perfectly entitled to that opinion.

But I hope you won't close your mind to those who would try to sway you..Lol

Let's look at Sharon for example. Is she the same person as she was in Old Michelle days.
    She was a spoilt princess, used to getting her own way but usually doing the right thing.
    Now we've got a gobby madam, still entitled but willing to be a doormat and lie to high heaven (Bobby business), in order to protect that entitlement.

Same with Michelle with reasons I've outlined in other posts so don't want to repeat myself.

Only one difference......different actress.
    Had Sue Tully reprised the role there wouldn't be this furore.
    The actress has moved on. She doesn't act anymore. She's behind the scenes. She produces/ directs or whatever. She's not interested !!!

But, as I said in another thread, why should the show be deprived of the character just because of an EX actress.
    I think new Michelle shows enough similarities, both physically and characteristically, to be believable.

The random Dot stuff is showing her loneliness...And is leading somewhere..I think.
  • Options
    ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't watch Eastenders when Susan Tully was playing Michelle, so this is the first time I'm seeing Michelle on the show, (not including the little clips on the Internet I've seen of Michelle in her original stint). I have an unbiased view of Michelle and the new actress, and I think they're both fine. I think Jenna Russell is absolutely fine. She is a very good actress and I really enjoyed tonight's episode. It was very character driven, which is what we've come to expect from Sean O'Connor's stint.

Speaking of which, why the change in opinion of him? When he first started, there were loads of comments praising the way he changed the feel of the show to make it more character driven. You don't need to have constant stunts, explosions, shock moments, (etc) to create a soap. And in any case, when these moments do appear, it makes them more affecting to watch. Like with Lee's attempted suicide the other week. It got a lot of praise. Also, because it's more character driven, there's more of a community feel to the show. Like with everyone supporting Pam and Les when they wanted justice for Paul.

It's not the best that Eastenders has ever been, (for me, that's the early 2000s with moments such as the Kat/Zoe reveal and the Trevor/Little Mo domestic abuse storyline), but I don't see anything wrong with the show.
  • Options
    rapunzel4rapunzel4 Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sharon 'I tan easily' :D:D:D