Options

high definition tvs

2»

Comments

• Options
    ffocusedffocused Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I am looking at the Sharp LC37P50E and the Philips 37PF5320. Sharp has better connectivity, but the screen resolution is lower i think. (960 x 540 x RGB. is this resolution for RGB inputs only?) The Philips has 1366 x 768p
    Anyone have any of these or know which is better.
    At the moment i am more interested in the Sharp, as i will be able to connect XBOX360 via component HD and Sky HD via HDMI.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ffocused wrote:
    I am looking at the Sharp LC37P50E and the Philips 37PF5320. Sharp has better connectivity, but the screen resolution is lower i think. (960 x 540 x RGB. is this resolution for RGB inputs only?)
    Do not touch that Sharp for HD! The resolution is way too low.

From the manufacturers info:
    This innovative new LCD panel has been specifically designed by Sharp to suit European Standard Definition Transmission, matching PAL and SECAM signals more closely. The new resolution of 960 x 540 is ideally suited to match the dot configuration of terrestrial broadcasts received in the UK and Europe
    Just because it can take HD in does not mean it will look good.

This combined with a 37" screen you will be very dissapointed.

For the Phillips TV resolution you quoted this is more like it for most current HD Ready TVs. You put the Phillips resolution in terms of 'p' progressive scan. An HD Ready TV can display 720p and 1080i pictures (the two standards Sky are supporting).
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    The P series is optimised for Standard Definition Television.

It will take in a High Definition TV signal but will downscale it to a 960x540 resolution. IE you wont be getting hardly any benefit of having a HD feed.
  • Options
    ffocusedffocused Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Any opinions on the Samsung LE40RS1 ?
    Seem to have all need round the back..... now to find a shop selling it at a reasonable price. So far the cheapest is EUR3000 :eek: Considering that it is available in the UK for £1569 online.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do people think to the Hitachi 42PD6600.

I know the 7200 is being billed as the best HD plasma on the market (obviously ignoring those at £2500+)

But I couldn't stretch the extra £400 to go one model up.

Thoughts, on the back of a sealed down envelope to the usual address.

JC
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    tough_ref wrote:
    What do people think to the Hitachi 42PD6600.

I know the 7200 is being billed as the best HD plasma on the market (obviously ignoring those at £2500+)

But I couldn't stretch the extra £400 to go one model up.

Thoughts, on the back of a sealed down envelope to the usual address.

JC

with this set down to 1300 i also need answer to this question i got the aldi "hd" plasma so will be taking this back

but should spend the extra and get the 7200 or save the money and get the 6600

i can only see the stand as the diff between the two?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Hi,
    Just thinking of getting one of these Samsung LE40R51BX LCD tv's. They advertise a resolution of 1366 x 768. It's available online at £1373. Can anybody offer some advice (or alternatives) re this tv?

Thanks,
    Roxy.