The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    A bit like some posters on this thread! :)

Couldn't agree more!

The iPlayer numbers are getting towards BBC Two figures now, is ridiculous they can't add them in. How can the just not account for over 1m viewers!

Stupid from BARB its taking them so long, and still when they do start measuring it, I bet they don't make it freely accessible and the free data remains the same outdated shit.

Madness.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    The line-up of SOAH, Antiques Roadshow and Last Tango is actually quite clever, as it's the BBC making the most of its older-skewing profile on Sunday nights rather than chasing the younger demographic.

Yes I cant remember a time when a half hour comedy was the dominant centrepiece(well for what passes as dominant centrepiece these days) on a Sunday night. Iirc Open All Hours had a few series run at 7.15 on Sundays back in the day when it was getting well more than double its rating last night.

Goodish night again for BBC1.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    F1Ken wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more!

The iPlayer numbers are getting towards BBC Two figures now, is ridiculous they can't add them in. How can the just not account for over 1m viewers!

Stupid from BARB its taking them so long, and still when they do start measuring it, I bet they don't make it freely accessible and the free data remains the same outdated shit.

Madness.

BARB have already said the new data will be freely published, but initially in a separate catch-up report, until the data can be dovetailed with the gold-standard consolidated numbers. Agree it's taking too long though.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 21st December 2014 - Consolidated Ratings
    The Apprentice (21:00 to 23:00) - 7.22m
    FILM: Men in Black 3 - 4.63m (3.70m excl. +1)
    Surprise Surprise - 3.93m (3.70m excl. +1)
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    So that's presumably over 8m for the first part of The Apprentice final? Decent,

As for the other timeshifts, surely the headline should be that, of the audience for Call The Midwife on Christmas Day, at least another 2m as many viewers (so far) have realised they'd prefer to watch it another day. Like in 2012, and 2013, the figure for the programme is now at its usual levels, but only after a quarter of its audience preferred to watch it another day. When will they learn.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Sunday 21st December 2014 - Consolidated Ratings
    The Apprentice (21:00 to 23:00) - 7.22m
    FILM: Men in Black 3 - 4.63m (3.70m excl. +1)
    Surprise Surprise - 3.93m (3.70m excl. +1)

Thanks DMN.

That Apprentice figure would have been so much better if it was split from You're Hired. A good figure for Men In Black 3. Surprise Surprise, you are on borrowed time.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    and here we have the Daily Mail reporting (using the term loosely) that Jezza is in hot water again following the episode on Saturday
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2889795/Jeremy-Clarkson-hot-water-Gear-Christmas-special-pokes-fun-racist-slope-slur-presenter-praises-lovely-country-Chile.html

This should give the iplayer views a bit of a boost

And for the life of me, I cannot see where either the Mirror (who first ran this "story" yesterday) and the Mail get the idea that there is additional controversy or that JC is in hot water.

Still, as you say, all good for the iPlayer figures no doubt
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Perhaps the broadcasters (including Sky) and advertisers, all of who are shareholders in BARB, should have a word (if they are dissatisfied).

Sky are getting the info they need from different sources.

As part of their carriage deals with Sky, ITV and C4 get access to the data. So they know how many are watching their On Demand services on external devices.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And for the life of me, I cannot see where either the Mirror (who first ran this "story" yesterday) and the Mail get the idea that there is additional controversy or that JC is in hot water.

Still, as you say, all good for the iPlayer figures no doubt

The Mirror has a petty-minded vendetta against Clarkson because he writes for The Sun.

Pathetic journalism.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Thanks DMN.

That Apprentice figure would have been so much better if it was split from You're Hired. A good figure for Men In Black 3. Surprise Surprise, you are on borrowed time.

Surprise Surprise has been recommissioned apparently, but I don't know where they'll put it next time as Wednesdays didn't really work out. Maybe back to Sundays at 7pm? Although that slot probably won't be available until late October due to the Rugby World Cup and if Palladium is back then that slot isn't an option for SS.

Maybe they could use it as Summer filler.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprise Surprise can't cost much to make. The dot com sponsors pay for all the flights and gifts. So a 4m audience must be enough for the programme to make a profit.
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Sky are getting the info they need from different sources.

As part of their carriage deals with Sky, ITV and C4 get access to the data. So they know how many are watching their On Demand services on external devices.

Is the data robust enough for advertisers though? They need detailed demographic information which BARB will eventually provide via their panel homes.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctor Who has always been a good timeshifter as it's popular with the younger, upmarket demographic who have PVRs, especially Sky homes.

Now there's something you never normally see in the same sentence ...'upmarket' and 'Sky homes'!
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Who has always been a good timeshifter as it's popular with the younger, upmarket demographic who have PVRs, especially Sky homes.

Don't forget the majority of iPlayer viewings are not included in any of these timeshift figures as they are on external devices, that BARB don't report.
    This was all true for Deep Breath which added 2m in three days and last year's special which added 1.8m in three days. Call The Midwife has surprisingly added more than Doctor Who so far.
    Forum Member
    Now there's something you never normally see in the same sentence ...'upmarket' and 'Sky homes'!

Sky certainly used to have a downmarket image and still does in the minds of some, despite great efforts to shed it. I would have thought though that subscribers taken as a whole, almost by definition, enjoy above-average disposable income. Derek probably has the stats :-)
  • mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    It's a joke in itself that the biggest Saturday show of the last few years doesn't get a primetime slot on xmas day.

The strictly Christmas special was fantastic, the team behind the show put in so much effort, as was clearly seen on the show itself.

Next year I'd like to see them build on the Christmas special, maybe including a few special guests etc and for it to put in a primetime slot
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Considering that the average cost of a basic subscription on both Sky and Virgin is over £21 per month (not including the premium channels - or other services such as phone and broadband) then yes I would say 'upmarket' is a apt term.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not ratings related but for those that are interested and don't find it too morbid, a link to the well presented BBC obituary tribute film:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30575063
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Trailer for Wolf Hall: http://youtu.be/5kT2lMkhldc Starts Wednesday 21st January, 9pm, according to the description underneath.

Which means The Eichmann Show which is also meant to air that week will air against a BBC One drama, most likely Tuesday 20th against Silent Witness, since there's a 90 minute TBA there in the early provisionals. The schedules for that week won't be confirmed until the 7th January though.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    This was all true for Deep Breath which added 2m in three days and last year's special which added 1.8m in three days. Call The Midwife has surprisingly added more than Doctor Who so far.

Call the Midwife now arguably the best performer for BBC with the timeshift.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trailer for Wolf Hall: http://youtu.be/5kT2lMkhldc Starts Wednesday 21st January, 9pm, according to the description underneath.

Which means The Eichmann Show which is also meant to air that week will air against a BBC One drama, most likely Tuesday 20th against Silent Witness, since there's a 90 minute TBA there in the early provisionals. The schedules for that week won't be confirmed until the 7th January though.

Wolf Hall looks fantastic. I can see this rating over 4m for BBC2 with the 1st episode.

So much fantastic looking drama in 2015 n all channels, BBC1, ITV, BBC2, CH4 and Ch5. Should be a good year. And with some landmark commissions from ITV, ratings will be interesting in 2015.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV Media has updated. Some impressive Digital channel ratings over Christmas, to which ITV's seem t have benefited most. Stand out ratings in bold.

Christmas Eve
    Rank Channel Time Programme OOOs Share
    1 ITV2 06:10 PM Catchphrase Christmas Special 913 4.6%
    2 BBC Three 09:00 PM Shrek the Third 830 3.7%

3 ITV2 05:05 PM All Star Family Fortunes Christmas Special 721 4.1%
    4 ITV3 04:25 PM Paul O'Grady: For The Love of Dogs at Christmas 634
    4.1%
    5 ITV3 08:00 PM Lewis 569 2.5%
    6 BBC Three 11:55 PM Family Guy 563 5.8%
    7 ITV2 04:05 PM You've Been Framed at Christmas! 534 3.7%
    8 BBC Three 11:30 PM Family Guy 518 4.1%
    9 ITV2 09:00 PM The Holiday 471 2.4%
    10 ITV2 07:20 PM The Nightmare Before Christmas 468 2.1%

Christmas Day
    1 ITV2 09:00 PM GoldenEye 1073 4.9%
    2 BBC Three 09:00 PM Shrek Forever After 1002 4.1%
    3 ITV2 06:30 PM The Mummy Returns 893 3.7%
    4 ITV2 03:35 PM Jurassic Park 730 4.2%
    5 ITV2 06:00 PM You've Been Framed at Christmas! 631 2.9%
    6 BBC Three 08:35 PM Shrek the Halls 587 2.4%
    7 Film4 04:20 PM Johnny English Reborn 574 3%
    8 BBC Three 12:00 AM Family Guy 574 6.5%
    9 Film4 09:00 PM Rise of the Planet of the Apes 540 2.3%
    10 BBC Three 11:00 PM EastEnders 522 3.6%

Boxing Day
    1 ITV2 06:10 PM Despicable me 1363 6.3%
    2 Sky Sports 1 12:30 PM Live ford football special 1004 8.3%
    3 ITV2 08:00 PM Tomorrow never dies 928 4.2%
    4 ITV2 04:10 PM Nanny mcphee 845 4.9%
    5 BT Sport 1 02:30 PM Live manchester united v newcastle 820 5.7%
    6 BT Sport 1 05:15 PM Live arsenal v queens park rangers 737 3.6%
    7 ITV2 03:05 PM Coronation street 675 5%
    8 ITV2 02:05 PM Emmerdale 473 3.8%
    9 ITV2 09:05 AM Coronation street 470 6.4%
    10 ITV3 08:00 PM Lewis 459 2.1%

27th Saturday
    1 BBC Three 07:00 PM Shrek 826 4%
    2 ITV3 08:00 PM Doc Martin 783 3.6%
    3 ITV3 09:00 PM Midsomer Murders 725 3.6%
    4 Film4 09:00 PM The Hunger Games 691 3.8%
    5 ITV2 07:10 PM Johnny English 685 3.2%
    6 BBC Four 07:30 PM Whisky Galore! 632 3%
    7 ITV2 04:35 PM The Lost World: Jurassic Park 631 3.5%
    8 BBC Four 09:00 PM Inspector Montalbano 550 2.7%
    9 BBC Three 08:30 PM Don't Tell the Bride: Let it Snow! 521 2.3%
    10 ITV3 04:45 PM Inspector Morse 517 2.9%

28th Sunday
    1 BBC Three 08:00 PM Shrek 2 1154 4.7%
    2 Sky Sports 1 01:55 PM Live Ford Super Sunday 1069 8.6%
    3 ITV2 09:00 PM The Bourne Identity 917 4.6%

4 Sky Sports 1 04:00 PM Live Ford Super Sunday 907 5.1%
    5 ITV2 06:20 PM Die Another Day 826 3.6%
    6 BT Sport 1 11:30 AM Live tottenham v manchester united 804 8%
    7 ITV3 09:00 PM Lewis 757 3.7%
    8 Film4 09:00 PM Contraband 615 3%
    9 Film4 06:00 PM Independence Day 590 2.7%
    10 E4 06:00 PM The Big Bang Theory 584 2.9%

I think its safe to say Despicable Me should have been on ITV main channel n Christmas Day. 1.4m on Boxing Day is higher than ITV had after THe Queen on Xmas Day. This film repeats better than any film ITV have ever shown. They need to keep hold of this tight. Bond also doing well for ITV.

Additionally Shrek does well for BBC Three and YBF does very well on ITV2. This SHOULD be its home for all repeats and new episodes. Its not rating well enough for the main channel, but does well on ITV2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wolf Hall looks fantastic. I can see this rating over 4m for BBC2 with the 1st episode.

So much fantastic looking drama in 2015 n all channels, BBC1, ITV, BBC2, CH4 and Ch5. Should be a good year. And with some landmark commissions from ITV, ratings will be interesting in 2015.

British telly is certainly getting a "Scandi bump" (as well as a big injection from Netflix and co). The buzz these days is around drama rather than comedy or entertainment, which is why so much money is being ploughed into it. I wish ITV had some longer run commissions up their sleeve - 8-parters like The Missing.

And I hope we get a leftfield ent hit somewhere this year, to revive that whole moribund genre.

Don't hold out much hope for comedy, but you never know. Likely to come from Radio 4 again, I reckon. A few hits there might mean BBC can finally kill the low-rated Citizen Khan and Not Going Out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best sitcom on radio these past few years has been Cabin Pressure (starring Benedict Cumberbatch no less).

Don't know if it would work on TV, but at the very least BBC1 should be falling over themselves to commission a new sitcom from its writer, John Finnemore.
  • HerefordgirlHerefordgirl Posts: 3,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    That point is understood, but against the start of a new series of a BAFTA winning drama is just stupid.

I would play TG against BBC1 weaker slots, repeats or niche drama not popular shows.

Would the two share that much of an audience? Don't think anyone I know who is a TG regular watches LTIH.
    ftv wrote: »
    No it's not, BBC2 is offering a very clear alternative which is its brief .Pity it doesn't do so more often when there is sport on BBC1 and BBC2 ( ie Wimbledon for the millions of people who aren't interested in tennis).

Indeed. And tonight they're offering a lovely alternative to Mapp & Lucia in Snow Wolf Family, which I'll be watching over the other channel offerings.
This discussion has been closed.