Options

Top Gear

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it too.
    Lots of good bits that made me laugh, specially the Thunderbirds with all the details, even the folding palm trees!

Ricardo was a lot of fun.
    But i didn't really catch the two questions asked by the public.
    Anyone got that?

I think if they are going to take questions from the audience they need to make sure that either the TV audience can hear them or get Clarkson to repeat the question so they can.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a long-term fan of JC and TG in general, I found last night's show (the ambuances one) rather tiresome. A few good laughs, but it seems to be drifting too much in the 'naughty schoolboy' direction.
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Trust in meeeee" :D:D:D

Damn I laughed myself silly!

(For our younger readers-It was a reference to The Jungle Book. Kaa's song-1'25" in
    and the song that Kaa the snake sings:D )
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I was too tired to enjoy it but I didnt like the ambulance parts as much as last couple of weeks. I much prefer it when they go on a road trip.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet you still continue to watch it. Why? I hate Eastenders for example, I don't watch it nor do I go onto the forums to moan how rubbish it is.

I'm amazed so many people who claim to dislike TG manage to sit through it every week only to then moan.

It baffles me too.
    There seems to be a large number of people who clearly can't stand the show, yet torture themselves each week by watching, then somehow cleanse themselves by splurging all over the message boards.

I don't think that can be normal behaviour, but I guess it takes all sorts to make an internet...
  • Options
    streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a brighter note, this episode must have been really cheap to make. :)
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the Daniel Ricciardo bit. Watching him squirming in his seat, waiting for his time. it clearly matters to them. They don't normally get the chance to compare themselves directly with other F1 drivers, so I can see why it would matter. I know the Liana is not what they're used to, but it's better than nothing. Maybe they should have "An F1 driver in a GP2 car", or something similar, so they all drive the same machine.

Also, going back to the brake testing of the cars in Australia, last week, I'd like them to do some brake tests on the sort of typical cars they buy, say £1000 value trade-ins, before they have been checked over and made roadworthy by their team. That would be more typical of cars on the road.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the Daniel Ricciardo bit. Watching him squirming in his seat, waiting for his time. it clearly matters to them. They don't normally get the chance to compare themselves directly with other F1 drivers, so I can see why it would matter. I know the Liana is not what they're used to, but it's better than nothing. Maybe they should have "An F1 driver in a GP2 car", or something similar, so they all drive the same machine.

Also, going back to the brake testing of the cars in Australia, last week, I'd like them to do some brake tests on the sort of typical cars they buy, say £1000 value trade-ins, before they have been checked over and made roadworthy by their team. That would be more typical of cars on the road.

being an F1 driver it gives him bragging rights more than anything and he can rib his racing driver colleagues about it away from the F1 hustle and bustle so yes it clearly matters to them.

The brake testing was good but yes I agree they should have done it with 'normal' cars. We know its an entertainment show but a little practical 'advice' won't go amiss every now and then :)

I really want Simon Cowell back on the Star in a Car segment because its clear that Cowell and Clarkson don't get on and its nice to see Clarkson squirm every once in a while when interviewing someone LOL

And Cowell is pretty competitive too so it would be good to get a new time from him.
  • Options
    bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    iamianiamian Posts: 1,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hilarious.

I don't know what it has to do with cars and motoring though.

Cracked up again just reading though these comments!
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    I've started watching again after a lull. Last night's episode as a few have said was particulairy funny (Wonder where James's patient went) ;)
  • Options
    PerfectMarkPerfectMark Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Sorry, but I thought the prog was absolutely awful. Gone are the serious days of motoring, now it's more liking to a Brian Rix farce. Totally predictable, not especially funny, and certainly not entertaining unless you like slapstick comedy.

Top Gear has moved into low gear in my opinion.
    Out of interest, have you tried 5th Gear or Wheelers Dealers on Discovery, they sound like they would be more to your liking?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Could it be more embarrassing if a regular 'GP2' (presume that is a lower class below F1?) driver performed better than one of big names? In the 'ordinary car' then they can find something to blame it on, sports people are very experienced at blaming poor performances on external factors!
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    being an F1 driver it gives him bragging rights more than anything and he can rib his racing driver colleagues about it away from the F1 hustle and bustle so yes it clearly matters to them.

Bang on mate. Look at the mileage Rubens Barichello got out of beating Stig, he was handing out t-shirts to fellow F1 drivers on the strength of it!
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I don't think any F1 driver has blamed the car, or even the weather, that's just accepted as unlucky. Surely the whole point of it is having an uber-driver squeeze the best out of a shopping trolley. That's better tv than fast drivers wringing the best out of a car that's not that much slower (by ordinary standards) than an F1 car. Much better to use the RPC.

Willman blogged about the choice of car for the SIA... feature, pointing out that it needs the right amount of power; too little and everyone can just go flat out, too much and all but the best won't get the most out of it. That argument falls away completely with F1 drivers but a low rent car does provide a very level playing field, and one that's directly comparable to the stars who've had a go in the same kind of vehicle.

Don't change it TG - it is fun, and it's an accepted part of tv that if you want a big name on your show you have to accept that their main task is to plug their wares.
  • Options
    boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Bang on mate. Look at the mileage Rubens Barichello got out of beating Stig, he was handing out t-shirts to fellow F1 drivers on the strength of it!

Much better for the viewer as well. Most of the regular stars are on some sort of publicity drive and whilst some are genuinely interested, a lot aren't. It was great to see Daniel squirming and it's up there with Rubens' lap/interview.
    Great episode. Foreigners must think Brits are bonkers.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hilarious episode I loved it :D

And to the people who complain yet still watch it, are you feeling well? pick up remote switch channel and watch TOWIE, leave us millions of viewers WORLD wide to enjoy the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hilarious episode I loved it :D

And to the people who complain yet still watch it, are you feeling well? pick up remote switch channel and watch TOWIE, leave us millions of viewers WORLD wide to enjoy the show.

There are plenty who enjoy the show but think it could be a lot better if they tried a bit harder.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the show last night, was funny as hell....loved every minute
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,839
    Forum Member
    I loved this episode.

Every part of the ambulance saga had me laughing out loud and hats off to Ricciardo.

Me too, loved it, just loved it. Funniest thing on TV so far this year and the funniest thing I've seen on Top Gear since this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

Just loved the bit at the end where Richard's "patient" was jettisoned through through the "hospital" window.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    It was almost Top Gear meets Mythbusters with all the bolt on bits and over doing everything.

Very funny and a great piece of entertainment.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I did wonder what people made of the Stig and the P45 at the BBC HQ :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did wonder what people made of the Stig and the P45 at the BBC HQ :)

That did make me laugh :D:D
  • Options
    NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1 drivers are not always the absolutely best available. To get a spot in the smaller teams you need to bring your own sponsorship deals to the party.
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    They should have used the original Thunderbirds theme, though - or perhaps they were denied permission to do so?

They did.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b052r1b5/top-gear-series-22-episode-3 (44:03 onwards)

is exactly the same music as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfIAKj3Gl1E (00:39 onwards)
This discussion has been closed.