EE to 'axe' Orange Wednesdays from 2015.

2»

Comments

• dabotsonlinedabotsonline Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    The "Mirror" is blaming netflix, but you cant see new releases on that, can you?

I'm not sure I agree with journalist Helena Horton's conclusion in that respect, but she certainly has a colourful imagination:
    You can still go to Fifty Shades with your date around Valentine's Day...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/orange-wednesdays-end-ee-cancels-4791973
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    No, because me and my girlfriend were going to see this and wanted imax that would have cost us £30 so we went on a wed and used the offer, it saved us £15 in one month alone over the course of the last year it must have saved us £100, I pay a little more for ee than 3 for example but not £100 per year more so this will cost me if we use the cinema just as often but I will claw I bit of that back by moving networks

Fair enough, these offers are only really useful if you're getting something you were going to buy anyway for less.

For example, last year I was umming and erring about replacing my iPad and getting an iPad Air.

I resisted the hype to buy around release and decided to wait to see what (if anything) Black Friday brought.

Come the Friday, I noticed Apple had knocked £70 (from memory) off of the price and then that John Lewis had matched it, so I got it from JL due to the 2 year guarantee.

What Black Friday wouldn't do (for me anyway) is encourage me to 'bag a bargain' just because it's been reduced in price (note that I didn't say it was cheap, just reduced in price).
  • OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    No, because me and my girlfriend were going to see this and wanted imax that would have cost us £30 so we went on a wed and used the offer, it saved us £15 in one month alone over the course of the last year it must have saved us £100, I pay a little more for ee than 3 for example but not £100 per year more so this will cost me if we use the cinema just as often but I will claw I bit of that back by moving networks

If it bites at the box office that much, isn't it up to the cinemas to provide their own discount night? Ticket prices despite being high, barely cover costs. They make the profits on concessions.

It must be hugely expensive for EE to run this and I'd rather they invested the money back in to the network. I've made use of Orange Wednesday's enough times and it is a draw but despite O2 having a reasonable rewards package, we are paying for a mobile service after all.

I'd have thought that it doesn't really fit in with the business model any more and given EETV, home fibre and big investment in 4G, they'd want to trumpet their own content and delivery methods, rather than sending people off to the cinema.

Orange Wednesdays was great for a casual visit. Cineworld Unlimited is great value for money if you go regularly, but cinemas are businesses too and they will no doubt have tricks to get people through the doors rather than just push prices up and up and have empty seats.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call me old fashioned, but I go with the mobile phone provider that I feel gives me the best coverage for my mobile phone, not a free ticket to a film that will be infested by chavs.

Ho hum...

Likewise. However I bet some people, especially film buffs (not just chavs - what a lovely person you must be) don't care - as long as they have a signal and it works, and instead base it on who gives them free tickets / perks. I know when I was with Orange I used to it quite a lot - it was one of the 'perks'.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    The "Mirror" is blaming netflix, but you cant see new releases on that, can you?

It makes sense - over the last decade we have more and more on-demand services and the likes of Google, Amazon, Virgin, and Sky all offer movies on demand at home (in addition to the standalone services like Netflix) as part of their offers and now is the ideal time to build up loyalty to EE before people switch to someone else offering an all in one service (e.g. Sky and Vodafone teaming up could spell trouble for the likes of EE).

Looking at EE's other entertainment offers:-

EE TV - this contains the Wuaki.TV app - and new EE TV customers get two free rentals and one "keep", while all(?) EE customers have also been emailed code to redeem a free movie to watch before New Year

EE Film - pretty much looks the same as Wuaki TV but so far not really pushed by them.

The launch of EE TV itself has signalled a move to compete against the all in one deals offered by Sky and Virgin before the former of those makes a play into the mobile market.

A solid package of Mobile, Landline, and Fibre Broadband with "free" TV and some form of "free" movie deal (say a free movie rental every week for "single" (i.e. mobile or broadband) customers or free Wuaki TV for Broadband and Mobile customers) makes there offering sound even better.

On EE TV the apps have also been adding additional TV channels (free and subscription bases) since launch (e.g. Euronews, Globo TV Brazil, RT Spanish) so it's not too hard to conceive that some time in the near future more channels will be added to it like YouView* and coupled with a good movies on demand and TV box set service suddenly makes the whole package look very attractive when compared with the likes of Sky (especially if you don't care about sport).

Of course the biggest issue with the likes of Wuaki.TV / EE Film is Sky's stranglehold on the rights market at the moment, but next time they come up for renewal someone like Netflix, EE, or Amazon may well be able to outbid Sky for exclusivity (or the combination of these operators paying more for quicker access / creating a group exclusivity deal may work out better than giving Sky exclusivity - but would need a decent customer base in the first place to make it worth while.

* Adding the various channels on Freeview Connect (e.g. Kerrang!, Kiss, Magic, Vintage TV, CCTV News, CCTV Documentary, RT Documentary and the content of TVPlayer) and buried within apps (like Euronews, NASA TV, twit TV, France 24 English / French) as "proper" channels with recording capabilities seems a pretty simple no brainier, and when that's working reliably add more subscription channels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have any idea of what the replacement is? Or when we can expect an announcement?
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DIYWD wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea of what the replacement is?

Orange Leap Day? Two for one cinema tickets every February 29th.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    It will be withdrawn on the 25th so on or before..
  • bensterbenster Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    kev wrote: »
    It makes sense - over the last decade we have more and more on-demand services and the likes of Google, Amazon, Virgin, and Sky all offer movies on demand at home (in addition to the standalone services like Netflix) as part of their offers and now is the ideal time to build up loyalty to EE before people switch to someone else offering an all in one service (e.g. Sky and Vodafone teaming up could spell trouble for the likes of EE).

Looking at EE's other entertainment offers:-

EE TV - this contains the Wuaki.TV app - and new EE TV customers get two free rentals and one "keep", while all(?) EE customers have also been emailed code to redeem a free movie to watch before New Year

EE Film - pretty much looks the same as Wuaki TV but so far not really pushed by them.

The launch of EE TV itself has signalled a move to compete against the all in one deals offered by Sky and Virgin before the former of those makes a play into the mobile market.

A solid package of Mobile, Landline, and Fibre Broadband with "free" TV and some form of "free" movie deal (say a free movie rental every week for "single" (i.e. mobile or broadband) customers or free Wuaki TV for Broadband and Mobile customers) makes there offering sound even better.

On EE TV the apps have also been adding additional TV channels (free and subscription bases) since launch (e.g. Euronews, Globo TV Brazil, RT Spanish) so it's not too hard to conceive that some time in the near future more channels will be added to it like YouView* and coupled with a good movies on demand and TV box set service suddenly makes the whole package look very attractive when compared with the likes of Sky (especially if you don't care about sport).

Of course the biggest issue with the likes of Wuaki.TV / EE Film is Sky's stranglehold on the rights market at the moment, but next time they come up for renewal someone like Netflix, EE, or Amazon may well be able to outbid Sky for exclusivity (or the combination of these operators paying more for quicker access / creating a group exclusivity deal may work out better than giving Sky exclusivity - but would need a decent customer base in the first place to make it worth while.

* Adding the various channels on Freeview Connect (e.g. Kerrang!, Kiss, Magic, Vintage TV, CCTV News, CCTV Documentary, RT Documentary and the content of TVPlayer) and buried within apps (like Euronews, NASA TV, twit TV, France 24 English / French) as "proper" channels with recording capabilities seems a pretty simple no brainier, and when that's working reliably add more subscription channels.

Netflix or Amazon would be good for EE TV surely they could do a deal were broadband customers could get a deal on it
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Free Nexflix on all EE Extra plans would be nice.
    That would save me £6 a month!
    :)