Options

Alex Polizzi-The Fixer BBC2

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    alimialimi Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading between the lines, one of the partnership was more dominant, one was extra lenient, plus was hinted that dominant one was not there from the beginning, recipe for disaster when managing staff who just want to know who's the boss and what's expected of them, not to much to expect when they are probably on minimum wage. Not dissimilar example is anyone who has bought up kids, even if you disagree discuss it privately and agree and present a united front, probably could have happened if the dominant one hadn't come across as a bit of a bitch
  • Options
    JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babba wrote: »
    Dont like the exterior colour.. its insipid.. and the new sign is miniscule...the 4 options would have made me very nervous also, ide have told that expert to sling his hook...

The new sign was just a temporary one according to their website, where they are cheekily asking for donations to pay for a permanent one amongst other things.
  • Options
    Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JezR wrote: »
    The new sign was just a temporary one according to their website, where they are cheekily asking for donations to pay for a permanent one amongst other things.
    They're not doing so well then? A couple of poodle hair-dos would see them a new shop sign.
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God, that boyfriend was tedious to watch. No wonder their staff quit, no one wants to take orders from a know-it-all bitch who's shagging the boss.
  • Options
    alimialimi Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God, that boyfriend was tedious to watch. No wonder their staff quit, no one wants to take orders from a know-it-all bitch who's shagging the boss.

Lol, what I was trying to say, put very succinctly
  • Options
    JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not doing so well then? A couple of poodle hair-dos would see them a new shop sign.

That's not all they want. Seems they were somewhat disappointed by the budget Alex could bring and want more for nothing. Don't think though they will be too lucky on thst front since they are after all a commercial business and not an animàl charity, although they do seem to have some additional non commercial aims not brought out in the programme.
  • Options
    charlotte231charlotte231 Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I've been in one to these situations where the boss's partner comes in and wants to take over and it was impossible, either you felt you were walking on eggshells with the boss who thinks the suns shines out of them or taking abuse from an unqualified control freak. The only solution was to leave, I wish I had done so sooner rather than hanging on to see if things got better.
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alimi wrote: »
    Lol, what I was trying to say, put very succinctly

:D Cheers... wasn't he just a pain? How could you put up with that at home AND work?

It sounds awful but they came across as such a bad stereotype: the laid-back, couldn't case less Frenchman, and the yapping, arrogant Aussie :o:D
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babba wrote: »
    Dont like the exterior colour.. its insipid.. and the new sign is miniscule...the 4 options would have made me very nervous also, ide have told that expert to sling his hook...

Just what I thought (though Other Half said the sign was prob temporary as you have to get planning permission).

I know he's worked with Alex before, but I do think the shop designer gives shop design a bad name. Anyone a bit arty with a bunch of glossy magazines can come up with 4 'moodboards'. The point is to increase business and sales - not just have a random theme. So you research who your customers are, what they want etc and use your brain and a bit of psychology to come up with a style. Are they even aware of local house prices?!

Besides which, the least you expect from a 'top designer' is that they're up with the trends. Vampire chic? Eco? Which decade is this guy in? The kitsch/retro thing is long past its sell-by.
    alimi wrote: »
    ...was hinted that dominant one was not there from the beginning, recipe for disaster when managing staff who just want to know who's the boss and what's expected of them, not to much to expect when they are probably on minimum wage.

Absolutely. Nothing worse than having 2 bosses, one of whom is a power-mad loose cannon. Unless he's got his own money invested in the business, he shouldn't have been in the programme - let alone pontificating on how the shop should be run, bullying staff, choosing designs etc.
  • Options
    finolafinola Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Just watched this old esp on YouTube. (Think The Singing Kettle may have been sold on.) However, it was uncomfortable to watch a grown man behave like Ray. I suspect the wife and the daughter had been through so much with him. You could see they only stood up to him when someone else was there because he had got away with so much until the show. He is a classic passive/aggressive and excuses his aggressive outbursts as "I'm just like that." The daughter's emotional tears of frustration most probably were a build-up of having to deal with his hideous stubbornness. Not once did he mention the fact they said they could not pay their mortgage from the business! Classic reality denial. He seemed to believe that Alex was there for a whim and created a scenario in his head that she was an enemy. Another classic symptom of something not going too welI I actually think they should not have aired this show as there was a serious underlying problem with him.
    The reason they probably were able to keep going was because of the publicity that would have come about six months when the show went to air. You can have a dump and people will come if they saw it on tv.