Options

Walking Dead - Season 5 (US Sun/UK Mon) - No Spoilers

Comments

• Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    I thought it was bad when Rick pushed Carl off him, during the fight, when Carl ran up to try and break it up :(

Perhaps Rick did not realize it was Carl, OR, Rick was SO overcome with rage, he simply didn't care and wanted the other guy dead - no matter what the cost was......

He definitely lost the plot..............:(:(
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sasha, Glenn and Daryl are the only two people from Rick's group who are still 'strong'. The others are becoming weak and they themselves are beginning to realise it.

Even though I made allowances for Sasha's behaviour (given loss of Tyrone and Bob) I was becoming vexed with it. Although that changed when she said "I'm getting tired of playing defence". In that moment I fully understood her frustration.
    In the same instant we saw how tepid Michonne and Rosita had become to the threat of the walkers.

Rick's group need Alexandria, it security, it's normalcy and provisions. What they don't need to do is team up with the Alexandrians for supply runs. They need to do all the outside jobs themselves. And talking of outside they need to get out more. Alexandria is making them soft.

Michonne probably felt Rick was going to start the takeover right there and then and with a gun in his hand, felt it was time to end his speech.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    i like deanna. she has just lost her son and she is in shock so i think she is allowed a few days to recover. so the alexandrians are a bit rubbish at doing things like searching for supplies and this gets people killed but its a learning curve.rick is supposed to be the law / policeman yet acted like it was the wild west. this is civilisation and things are supposed to be more orderly in alexandria yet his mindset is still outside in survival mode. overall the last few episodes have been really top quality and the setting of alexandria has been a boost for the show.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    deans6571 wrote: »
    I thought it was bad when Rick pushed Carl off him, during the fight, when Carl ran up to try and break it up :(

Perhaps Rick did not realize it was Carl, OR, Rick was SO overcome with rage, he simply didn't care and wanted the other guy dead - no matter what the cost was......

I thought that was incredibly symbolic. The husband thumped his wife when she intervened and Rick shoved his son when he did. In my view it was saying Rick is no different to the wife beater. He has reached that very low level.

Rick has made it clear his intervention here is about fancying the wife. He said he wouldn't help anyone else. He has lost all moral superiority and I'm glad Michonne disabled him.

This action was symbolic too. Michonne is the only one left with any moral authority between the two of them and it showed she is still physically and mentally tough which she had obviously been questioning.
    hume wrote: »
    Sasha, Glenn and Daryl are the only two people from Rick's group who are still 'strong'. The others are becoming weak and they themselves are beginning to realise it.

Even though I made allowances for Sasha's behaviour (given loss of Tyrone and Bob) I was becoming vexed with it. Although that changed when she said "I'm getting tired of playing defence". In that moment I fully understood her frustration.
    In the same instant we saw how tepid Michonne and Rosita had become to the threat of the walkers.

Rick's group need Alexandria, it security, it's normalcy and provisions. What they don't need to do is team up with the Alexandrians for supply runs. They need to do all the outside jobs themselves. And talking of outside they need to get out more. Alexandria is making them soft.

Michonne probably felt Rick was going to start the takeover right there and then and with a gun in his hand, felt it was time to end his speech.

I agree with Daryl and Glen but Sasha is suffering from grief and therefore totally untrustworthy and her strength is actually a weakness for the group. She's a liability.

Daryl has remained exactly the same. He is consistant and has amazing strength of character. Glen has grown mentally and physically so much. He is now a natural leader and should take over from Rick and Deanna.

Deanna is just stupid and incompetent. She has no idea how pathetic and weak her group is and her responses to Rick about the abusive husband didn't make sense and was highly morally suspect. He is a surgeon so we can't tell him what to do as we need him so she lets him carry on beating up his wife but we can't kill him because that is wrong :o:(

Disgusting and on a par with Rick and his true motivations.

ETA I didn't actually enjoy the episode at all watching it but in hindsight a hell of a lot happened in a way and it has given me so much to think about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »

Think of it this way. Who do you want to kill Pete?

Your choices are Rick or Pete's son.

Sticking your head in the sand means Pete kills Jessie.

There are no happy outcomes, just the ones you can live with.

And I can live with Rick doing the deed.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member

Daryl has remained exactly the same. He is consistant and has amazing strength of character. Glen has grown mentally and physically so much. He is now a natural leader and should take over from Rick and Deanna.

Apologies for cropping your post - I just have to disagree with you about Glen - he has become a nonentity for me when he was barely in it (until last week). The worst thing they did for me was pair him up with Maggie - both have become weak and disposable for me
  • Options
    mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think of it this way. Who do you want to kill Pete?

Your choices are Rick or Pete's son.

There are no happy outcomes, just the ones you can live with.

And I can live with Rick doing the deed.

And Carol.

Given Rick's conflict of interest, it probably would have been better if Carol had cut Pete's throat when she had the chance. Whatever the boy thinks about his father now, he would never forget that the man who is sleeping with his mother, is the man who killed his father.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which could well lead to other deaths.

- Pete kills Jessie but not with a fatal head wound
    - He wanders off and drinks even more
    - Jessie rises and kills her two sons and random neighbours
    - Rick kills Walker Jessie and Drunk Pete.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    I don't think they'll have much time to discuss this if Daryl and the other scout end up rushing back in with the W people in tow ready to seige the place. ...

Also that guy from the first episode is bound to show up in the finale. Maybe he'll be our new leader. .?
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »
    Apologies for cropping your post - I just have to disagree with you about Glen - he has become a nonentity for me when he was barely in it (until last week). The worst thing they did for me was pair him up with Maggie - both have become weak and disposable for me

Really :confused: How can 2 people watching the same show have such polar apart views on the same character :o:D

I have no problem with the pairing of Maggie and Glen as I like them both and they really suit each other however interestingly enough in the last couple of episodes which is what I'm basing my opinion of Glen on their coupling has been basically irrelevant. Have we even seen them together?

Glen has been brilliant on his forays out of Alexandria and naturally took the lead. He also held his own with Deanne and she seemed to admire him at first anyway.

I was expecting people to disagree that he'd make a good leader but never anticipated him being calked a nonentity :o:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that was incredibly symbolic. The husband thumped his wife when she intervened and Rick shoved his son when he did. In my view it was saying Rick is no different to the wife beater. He has reached that very low level.

Rick has made it clear his intervention here is about fancying the wife. He said he wouldn't help anyone else. He has lost all moral superiority and I'm glad Michonne disabled him.

This action was symbolic too. Michonne is the only one left with any moral authority between the two of them and it showed she is still physically and mentally tough which she had obviously been questioning.

I agree with Daryl and Glen but Sasha is suffering from grief and therefore totally untrustworthy and her strength is actually a weakness for the group. She's a liability.

Deanna is just stupid and incompetent. She has no idea how pathetic and weak her group is and her responses to Rick about the abusive husband didn't make sense and was highly morally suspect. He is a surgeon so we can't tell him what to do as we need him so she lets him carry on beating up his wife but we can't kill him because that is wrong :o:(

ETA I didn't actually enjoy the episode at all watching it but in hindsight a hell of a lot happened in a way and it has given me so much to think about.

Rick is no different to the wife beater? So I take it Rick is slowly beating to death another human being in front of his young son?

What Sasha is doing is reckless and could cost her her life, but her actions showed Michonne and Rosita how complacent they had become. The flashbacks were intended to show us who they were and what they had become. Michonne uses a sword because it doesn't run out of bullets, yet she left it behind.
    Michonne rightly pointed out Tyrone had gone soft and that cost him his life. I wonder whether she see the parallels in her current mindset.

Deanna has been dealt a bad hand and she's making the best of it. She manages to vet groups before she makes contact with them. She understands the limitations of the Alexandrians, hence the need to recruit new members with real world experience and a moral core.
    Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, she has kept the Alexandrians alive despite all the evidence to suggest they shouldn't be.
    Her stance over Pete's domestic abuse is a compromise a leader has to make. He has a unique value to the community and one that can't be easily replaced.

Deanna reminds me of Herschel and how he was towards the new post apocalyptic world. Herschel's views like Deanna's are limited by the experience they've had. Although it took the lose of his home and some of his family members to see the error of his ways. Deanna is just now starting down the same path.

Whenever Rick agonises over whether to do something he considers immoral, he usually ends up paying the price. Rick will either have to convince Deanna (taking her outside the compound) of the threat he's trying to prevent or take control of Alexandria. If he does nothing a new Governor will roll up with a tank and wipe them out.

The core beauty of the walking dead is we're not invited to have fixed moral positions (except in the most egregious circumstances) about anyone. The show does an excellent job of showing us cause and effect and while we may not agree with someone's actions we ultimately understand why it was made. Which should mitigate our rush to judgement.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointed on the whole in the last few episodes apart from the occasional moment, even though I've been sticking with it and hoping for the best. It's like the Emperor's New Clothes - people so want to think it's great that they're not seeing the obvious; that there is no real substance (excitement, surprise, uncontrived jeopardy) anymore.

This last episode was, unfortunately, mostly boring. The continuity was far too spread out, with the opportunity to cover the aftermath of the returning party and the priest's speech along with the related confrontations/fallout sadly missing. Concentrating on Rick's storyline was dull; his decline has already been established and was both understandable and necessary for survival while on the outside. Obviously people are having difficulty adjusting to their new circumstances, but any moral dilemma faced with regard to a wife-beater was, to my mind, needless, self-indulgent and out of character - jail, anyone? Rick is what he is, he does what he does when necessary; putting that in the context of fancying someone was, for me, a waste of air time.

I want to know who's messing up walkers and tying people to trees to be eaten, I'm not interested in Deanna staring at a grave (did they go back for her son's body??), chewing the side of her mouth in vexation and Rick getting another beating for no real reason.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's pretty much it right there. That's exactly what was about to go down. Thankfully Michonne could see sense and did the right thing at the right time.

The other thing i don't understand is why Rick still felt it was necessary to kill Pete. Exile him and leave him to the zombies. Does anyone really think the Alexandrians could possibly survive the way Rick and the gang have, of course they couldn't! So there's no need to be killing anyone. Why does no one understand this?

Good episode last night. In fact the past few episodes have been very good indeed. Like others it annoys me that there's no fallout from the conversation with the priest and Deonne and Maggie telling the gang what happened. Why? That should have been in this episode. I hate it when they skip important points.

I have a feeling the W's will play a big part next week. A new enemy? I think so! ;-) Roll on the 1hr and 20min finale next Monday!
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    That's pretty much it right there. That's exactly what was about to go down. Thankfully Michonne could see sense and did the right thing at the right time.

The other thing i don't understand is why Rick still felt it was necessary to kill Pete. Exile him and leave him to the zombies. Does anyone really think the Alexandrians could possibly survive the way Rick and the gang have, of course they couldn't! So there's no need to be killing anyone. Why does no one understand this?

Good episode last night. In fact the past few episodes have been very good indeed. Like others it annoys me that there's no fallout from the conversation with the priest and Deonne and Maggie telling the gang what happened. Why? That should have been in this episode. I hate it when they skip important points.

I have a feeling the W's will play a big part next week. A new enemy? I think so! ;-) Roll on the 1hr and 20min finale next Monday!

...Realistically - it will probably only be an extra 1 hour and 10 mins, due to the extra ad break probably thrown into the last '20 minutes' of the slot!!!! ;-)
  • Options
    LardnessLardness Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a thought......why don't zombies get lured to a mine shaft, have them fall down then fill it with concrete when the pile nears the top.....
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    Really :confused: How can 2 people watching the same show have such polar apart views on the same character :o:D

I have no problem with the pairing of Maggie and Glen as I like them both and they really suit each other however interestingly enough in the last couple of episodes which is what I'm basing my opinion of Glen on their coupling has been basically irrelevant. Have we even seen them together?

Glen has been brilliant on his forays out of Alexandria and naturally took the lead. He also held his own with Deanne and she seemed to admire him at first anyway.

I was expecting people to disagree that he'd make a good leader but never anticipated him being calked a nonentity :o:(

Yup - really:D
    I just think he has justified himself as capable of being part of a group and taking a part but definitelt not leadership material. I know you hardly see them together but as a pair they have weakened the individuals IMO.
    I'll never forget the two of them combat geared up and charging into action intially and then fading to the background.
    Just my two penneth:)
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lardness wrote: »
    Just a thought......why don't zombies get lured to a mine shaft, have them fall down then fill it with concrete when the pile nears the top.....
    if the characters thought like that we wouldn't have a TV show to watch as nothing would happen. Maybe Rick would plant crops but that's all :D
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Rick really annoyed me in that episode. He doesn't want Pete dead for the good of the group - he's staking a claim on Jess! Its similar to how Shane wanted Rick dead because he wanted to stake a claim on Lori - or own her.

Glad Michonne lamped him one!
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was that michonne genuinely thinking rick has gone too far or was it her stopping him before he does, for all their sakes..?
  • Options
    hassanhassan Posts: 3,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »

It could be because previously, others who had conflict with the group and lived, came back for revenge, i.e. the governor, the cannibals. Pete would know about the town, if somehow he managed to survive, he could somehow cause issues later on like find another group and direct them to the town.
  • Options
    funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,350
    Forum Member
    I think we'll find out who the W's are next week and I think one of our group will end up being tied to a tree in the same manner as a woman. That was significant and I really believe it will be done again.

I also think the W's will attack and Rick will be needed meaning he'll end up being forgiven for what he's just done.

I think we'll see the end of two of Daryl, Carol, Maggie or Glen next week, hence the Talking Dead been shown, as it's gonna be a shocker
  • Options
    SamBonjelaSamBonjela Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    I dont think the W is connected with the Alexandrians at all.

when the group were at Noah's place there were a group of zombie bottoms (cut in half at the waist) outside the walls. when they went back to the car they bumped into a van, and all the zombie tops fell out of the van - they had w's in their foreheads

My theory: The W is actually a M for Morgan. We know he's been following the group, hence the W's both at Noahs and at Alexandria. We know he's a bit deranged, and the dissecting of the zombie bodies, along with the branding could be indicative of the crazy.

We also know he has used bait to attract walkers - the blonde was a shock, she must have been alive when tied to the tree, maybe Morgan saw her as some kind of threat to the group (assuming he thinks he's protecting the group), or maybe she'd already been bit and was close to death - I'm looking forward to finding out the story there.
  • Options
    primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    kaybee15 wrote: »

As despicable as domestic violence is, can summary execution really be justified?

completely agree, especially if the wife/victim appears to show absolutely no sign of wanting to even leave the husband, let alone have him killed... we may not agree with her decision but you can't force someone to leave an abusive husband... not now, and certainly not in zombie land...
  • Options
    Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member

Completely agree. I love how the show is taking a more morally ambiguous route with the Alexandria storyline. There's no clear wrong or right, and it's getting harder to tell the villains from heroes. Rick sounded a lot like Shane during that meltdown, for example.

I mean, he's ranting about Alexandria being destroyed under Deana's regime, when every safe place HE'S been connected to has ended up destroyed (the Atlanta CDC, the farm, the prison, Terminus, Woodbury). Not all his fault, true, but this storyline is suggesting that Rick is potentially the fox in the henhouse. Carol too.

Rick has made it clear his intervention here is about fancying the wife. He said he wouldn't help anyone else.....

This action was symbolic too. Michonne is the only one left with any moral authority between the two of them....

I think Rick's sudden infatuation with Jessie is connected to Lori's death and his ideal of the 'family'. It makes no sense otherwise. He barely knows her.

Michonne I agree. We had those moments where she seemed to be struggling with her new identity (like throwing her police uniform on the bed, and then having flashbacks in the woods before going into her old kill mode). But when she decked Rick, she was wearing her uniform again and it looked to me like she'd reached an inner peace with it. She's a law-defender in her community now and he was disturbing the peace. :cool:

I'll be really disappointed if the finale delivers a neat 'Rick was right all along' message. What I'm hoping is that we'll see both ideologies come together to stave off a new threat (those 'W' villains).

Yep, Sasha is a liability. Her PTSD has nearly got people killed 3 times now: first after Bob's death when she let that hospital cop knock her out and escape, then when she defied the plan to dodge the zombies on the bridge leading to a massive dangerous fight, and this week when she let loose on a zombie horde and put all 3 women in peril.

On the plus side, Sasha, Rick and Carol are bad-asses when it comes to zombie survival, but this storyline is also showing them be mentally damaged and therefore a threat to community 'cohesion'.

I think it's more of the moral ambiguity theme, where both are wrong and both are right. Deana is allowing the abuse to continue and that's terrible. But a drunk surgeon is better than no surgeon in terms of saving lives. Our leaders today make these kind of decisions all the time involving 'collateral damage' so she's not really any different there. Carol made that kind of decision when she killed Karen and the other bloke with flu, and when she killed Lizzie: sacrificed the few to save the many (although Carol is a psycho).

And is Deana's pacifist approach really so terrible? It's kept most of her group alive for a long time and in a much healthier, happier condition than Rick's. Plus she's savvy enough to have recognised the value Rick & co bring to her community and welcomed them in, giving them roles that play to their strengths (although that might turn out to be a HUGE mistake).

Somewhere in-between Rick's 'final solution' approach and Deana's 'no solution' approach is a middle ground that the show isn't exploring yet (while it exposes their extreme differences)....like setting up a proper justice system and a prison and offering Pete the choice to stay and work or be exiled.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hassan wrote: »
    It could be because previously, others who had conflict with the group and lived, came back for revenge, i.e. the governor, the cannibals. Pete would know about the town, if somehow he managed to survive, he could somehow cause issues later on like find another group and direct them to the town.

I understand that. But if it was me and i had survived and found another group i'd probably be too tired to try and attempt any sort of revenge! :D I'd be like f*ck it!