Options

Top Gear

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    So how would you have reacted if only one party was providing the blows and the bile?
    The producer is getting stick for going to A&E but the people providing the stick can't produce any evidence of what the injury was or what treatment was required.
    He, the producer, didn't make a complaint, my bet is that Clarkson was tipped off about the witness family going to the press so he raised the matter.

Clarkson knew the story would get out, so he reported it to the BBC.
    He's possibly vain enough to think that as he reported it himself, he'd just get a ticking off.
  • Options
    ksmiggyksmiggy Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been a long time since I was in the job, but I do believe that the rules on Firearms for officers were pretty much the same both sides of the border.

See, I know what you're talking about, however in the drama you saw officers giving a suspect a seeing to in full view of the public. Never happened in the 70's. By that time the public knew that the Police weren't supposed to hit you etc.

Of course the Ways and Means Act soon sorted that problem. ;-)

BTW - It wasn't just Glaswegian coppers.

Coppers aren't the same these days, when I was a kid, we had one copper on the estate and he was a legend, he would give people a clip round the ear, take them back to their parents to get another clip round the ear.
    Then, as you say, people got wise to the fact they shouldn't hit you and it stopped, the estate went downhill quickly after that.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    I think it has far more to do with the BBC trying to save face after all the other scandals they have presided over and done nothing. Simply a case of an easy target. Sad day for the licence payer.

Please nurse this is an emergency, I have a fat lip and been shouted at, boo hoo!

Your favourite presenter has been fired for physically attacking a colleague.

Correct decision.

Get over it.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    I think it's far more to do with an employee who has been warned several times about his behaviour and given a final warning last year, who failed to behave within the rules of employment.

What the hell did you expect the BBC to do. Issue another final warning?

And they were simply a put up job. An alleged racist comment about a bridge that no one in the western world had ever heard of. Then a song that I've sung all my life and thought nothing about it. I didn't even realise those were the words as I've always sung something different.

Sticks and stones, sticks and stones. If society think what they have now is progress they are living in cloud cuckoo land.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your favourite presenter has been fired for physically attacking a colleague.

Correct decision.

Get over it.

Not my favourite presenter, I simply hate the way British society has evolved. Let's hope we manage to elect a government that will turn the clock back to better times.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not my favourite presenter, I simply hate the way British society has evolved. Let's hope we manage to elect a government that will turn the clock back to better times.

When would you like the clock to be turned back to? When exactly in your mind were these better times?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You hate the way british society has evolved?

So you REALLY do think you should be able to punch someone, and keep your job.

Dark Ages..
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,006
    Forum Member
    James May has updated his Twitter account to say former tv presenter ... Oh cock

Jeremy may be a knob and explains why May seems to suck up to him a lot?
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember when I was on the night shift many years ago now (I was about 21 at the time) a fraca broke out in the loading bay. Ended up with the lorry driver, fork lift truck driver and one of the labourers all trading blows.

We were egging them on when the night shift foreman came round. He just said 'what's it all about, if anybody asks I've seen nothing' and cleared off again. This was a big multinational company.

Now that's how differences got settled then and no one lost their livelihood, not all this running to mummy every five minutes. I know which I prefer. 😉

What a delightful place to work that must have been. People hammering away at each other and a blind-eyed foreman. No protection for those unable or unwilling to fight back. A bully's dream.

The three fighting should have been arrested and locked up for the night to cool down and charged with affray. The foreman should have been sacked for dereliction of duty. The eggers-on should all have been given warnings.

Incidentally, did you know that "Faust" is German for "fist"?
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Jeremy may be a knob and explains why May seems to suck up to him a lot?

James actually said today "Believe it or not I really quite like working with Jeremy"
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    No wonder the NHS is in trouble if people feel the need to go there with a swollen/split lip.

Perhaps I should have gone the other day with a badly broken finger nail.....
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And they were simply a put up job. An alleged racist comment about a bridge that no one in the western world had ever heard of. Then a song that I've sung all my life and thought nothing about it. I didn't even realise those were the words as I've always sung something different.

Sticks and stones, sticks and stones. If society think what they have now is progress they are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Ain't life a bitch?

Meanwhile we still have the question of just what you expected the BBC to do under the circumstances?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    No wonder the NHS is in trouble if people feel the need to go there with a swollen/split lip.

Whether he went to A&E, a vets or a faith healer is really not relevant is it?
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is that an apt comparison in your mind? Have you even heard of "concussion"?
  • Options
    Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Says something about the culture of the show, the clip that appears off the cutting room floor, the producer running to A&E to document his cut lip...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Desperate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You hate the way british society has evolved?

So you REALLY do think you should be able to punch someone, and keep your job.

Dark Ages..

It's how one deals with such things personally. We are litigating ourselves one way or another into inertia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keith_13 wrote: »
    Says something about the culture of the show, the clip that appears off the cutting room floor, the producer running to A&E to document his cut lip...

And the culture of the show is relevant to an assault how exactly?
  • Options
    ksmiggyksmiggy Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Given how overloaded the NHS is, going to A n E for a split lip is a bit excessive.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member

Yes, if you can't see why I can't be bothered to explain
    Straker wrote: »
    Is that an apt comparison in your mind? Have you even heard of "concussion"?

Strangely enough, being a former ED nurse, yes I have and I'd probably have slung him out at triage, pending an assessment, wasting my valuable time, obviously. Got to be aware of this pesky H&S rules these days
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's how one deals with such things personally. We are litigating ourselves one way or another into inertia.

Earlier in this thread, I kind of implied some connection between you and Neanderthals.

I would like to apologise for that remark..............................to the Neanderthals. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, the irony - The only one talking to lawyers is Clarkson!
  • Options
    GibmanGibman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dear Idiots Who Signed A Petition That Gave Tacit Acceptance To Verbal & Physical Abuse In The Workplace,

Losers.

Yours,

Common Sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Strangely enough, being a former ED nurse, yes I have and I'd probably have slung him out at triage, pending an assessment, wasting my valuable time, obviously. Got to be aware of this pesky H&S rules these days

I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I say I'm grateful it's "former" nurse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, if you can't see why I can't be bothered to explain

I think you better explain.

I certainly cannot see any relevance whatsoever to whether an assault did or did not take place.
This discussion has been closed.