Options

Leona Lewis vs Adam Lambert

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,498
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think most people would pick out Leona as the standout from the XF series and Adam as the standout from the AI series. So...

1. Who is the better singer between these two?
2. Which has had the most impact outside their show?

I'm going for Adam for 1 and 2. He's reguarly touring around the globe and his range and capability is staggering. One minute he can sing a love song, then something like Enter Sandman by Metallica, or even upbeat pop songs, the guy can literally sing anything and probably has a larger vocal range than Leona too. Thats not to say Leona isnt great because she is but for me not quite as standout - infact its arguable that Will Young has had more impact outside XF/PI but doesnt have the vocal ability. I also like Daughtry from AI too.

Anyone agree or disagree? Or anyone else I missed who should be considered in their league from XF/AI in terms of 1 and 2.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    I don't know about Adam, his music doesn't interest me. IMO LEONA! I got her DVD today and I'm just WOAAAAAAAH who knew? she's fab and isn't boring
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    Carrie Underwood and Kally Clarkson are both far more successful than Adam Lambert. Those two along with Chris Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson would be considered the stand-out success stories from AI. Adam hasn't lived up to the hype.
  • Options
    SickPuppy21SickPuppy21 Posts: 4,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona for me, but I like Adam, and Enter Sandman isn't a hard to sing (or play either) if he sang Metallicas early work, then I'd respect him even more :D

American Idol has had far more successful acts than Adam, in Carrie, Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson

And no he doesn't have a larger range than Leona, Leona 3.3 (3.5 if you count a falsetto) - Adam - 3.0
  • Options
    soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LoveBug. wrote: »
    I don't know about Adam, his music doesn't interest me. IMO LEONA! I got her DVD today and I'm just WOAAAAAAAH who knew? she's fab and isn't boring

Couldn't say it better myself lovebug.
  • Options
    soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona for me, but I like Adam, and Enter Sandman isn't a hard to sing (or play either) if he sang Metallicas early work, then I'd respect him even more :D

American Idol has had far more successful acts than Adam, in Carrie, Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson

And no he doesn't have a larger range than Leona, Leona 3.3 (3.5 if you count a falsetto) - Adam - 3.0

Couldn't agree more SickPuppy.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    Carrie Underwood and Kally Clarkson are both far more successful than Adam Lambert. Those two along with Chris Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson would be considered the stand-out success stories from AI. Adam hasn't lived up to the hype.

Daughtry, Carrie, David Cook and Kelly, to name four off the top of my head, have all had more success and more sales then Adam immediately after their Idol runs.

ETA: Jennifer's great success did come a couple of years down the line.
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree, I love Adam, I really do - but he's nowhere near as technically better than Leona, as said - She has a larger vocal range. And saying that Adam can do upbeat Pop, Rock and singing love songs: Leona covered Whole Lotta Love with Jimmy Paige from Led Zep, Outta My Head (not to mention the countless other uptempos which weren't featured on her albums/singles), and of course she's KNOWN for Love songs. I don't think you've made a valid enough argument.;)

Also as stated, there have been MANY more successful acts from AI than Adam. Notably Kelly Clarkson who's had a huge success in the UK. (I think I'm right in saying CU is more successful in the US than KC?)

I will say this though, Leona has yet to be given a chance to showcase her capabilities with uptempos outside of her main fanbase. That's due to her label's decisions though.

Also, I haven't seen Adam Lambert go to number one in 34 countries with a song as of yet :p
  • Options
    Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member

You're comparing people who have been around 8, 6, 5 and 4 years to someone who has been around for 1.
  • Options
    Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member

Correction: Adam 3.5, 4.0 including falsetto.
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

really?! :eek: I thought I'd read he was bang on 3 - I'm sure I'd read an article about how rare it is to find a singer to have a 4 octave voice...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nope its 3.0, Adam doesnt use falsetto, he shouts literally so its his chest voice, he's risking permanent damage too, like Freddie Mercury, in his early days he didn't use falsetto, but by the 80s his vocals became so f**ked up he had no other choice.

Leona has the superior voice.
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    You're comparing people who have been around 8, 6, 5 and 4 years to someone who has been around for 1.

Carrie and Chris Daughtry both had huge first era's in the US. Adam has not lived up to the pre-album hype, where his fans were proclaiming him to be the second coming of Freddie Mercury and set for instant global domination.

The point is, I doubt that most people would name Adam as the standout from AI over acts like Clarkson, Underwood and Daughtry as the OP suggests.
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member

Agreed. Shocked anyone would pick Adam over Kelly and Carrie at least.
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    That's an easy one for me. I've never liked Leona, can'ty stand her voice, but love Adam Lambert, went to see him in concert the other night actually as he's currently touring over here.
  • Options
    IsItThatDeepIsItThatDeep Posts: 1,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona ia a good singer, but if you are looking for the complete package it has got to be Adam, no only is he an exceptional and versatile singer, he has a charismatic stage presence which Leona lacks. It is impossible to compare the success of the two of them yet as Leona has been on the scene much longer than Adam.

Apart from Kelly Clarkson, Adam has probably had much more success internationally than any other AI contestant, including Carrie Underwood who is mostly unknown outside the USA. The UK is the last on the bandwagon to pick up on the amazing artist, which is Adam Lambert, and we always used to be at the forefront of promoting new talent.

I've never seen Leona live, but I did see Adam on Saturday night and it was one of the best concerts I have ever been to and was the most imacculate live vocal performances I have witnessed. Personally, I hope he's around for years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona ia a good singer, but if you are looking for the complete package it has got to be Adam, no only is he an exceptional and versatile singer, he has a charismatic stage presence which Leona lacks. It is impossible to compare the success of the two of them yet as Leona has been on the scene much longer than Adam.

Apart from Kelly Clarkson, Adam has probably had much more success internationally than any other AI contestant, including Carrie Underwood who is mostly unknown outside the USA. The UK is the last on the bandwagon to pick up on the amazing artist, which is Adam Lambert, and we always used to be at the forefront of promoting new talent.

I've never seen Leona live, but I did see Adam on Saturday night and it was one of the best concerts I have ever been to and was the most imacculate live vocal performances I have witnessed. Personally, I hope he's around for years.

Nope that would be Daughtry or Jennifer Hudson.

The glam rocker thing has been done over here, Marc Bolan, David Bowie, Freddie Mercury and another one banged up for fiddling kids....times have changed since then why do we want retro?

Kinda like Leona when she's selling out arenas across the country, and she was VERY charasmatic during her songs, look on YouTube, and I think her version of Whole Lotta Love was the best one I've heard bar Led Zep.
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member

I've never seen Adam live but I'll take your word on how good he is. I have seen Leona live though and trust me, you would not say she lacked stage presence if you saw her. This is only a tiny video but it gives you some indication:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYrxHjwrJQk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies guys, good to learn about the vocal ranges - I think its fair to say they're both pretty good vs other contestants then. I agree that Underwood and Clarkson have also done well - I was thinking of impact outside the US primarily and in that regard surely it has to be Clarkson vs Lambert then. If you look on this website Lambert is the one everyone always talks about.

Good discussion - I would like to see Lewis being given a more free range to sing music other than ballads really, but I think they wanted to position Burke as the uptempo diva and Lewis as the ballad diva.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're both good in their own way, but both being given poor songs. If they got good songs they could both be on fire. (Although I love Leona's music! But she could definitely do with being more "current").
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    I think I'm one of the few people who don't like Adam Lambert, so I'd prefer Leona
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know Adam but I have heard Leona, so I'll say Adam :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    I don't know Adam but I have heard Leona, so I'll say Adam :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4tLZ43Peeo

Doesnt get much better for me than this on these singing reality shows. The level of overall performance is staggering.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a purely vocal level Leona is hard to top, but when you take everything into consideration - performance, command of the stage, energy, delivery - Adam is streets ahead.

Although it should be remembered that Lambert is NOT the most successful AI export - that would be Kelly Clarkson, closely followed by Daughtry.
  • Options
    Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope its 3.0, Adam doesnt use falsetto, he shouts literally so its his chest voice, he's risking permanent damage too, like Freddie Mercury, in his early days he didn't use falsetto, but by the 80s his vocals became so f**ked up he had no other choice.

No way is he using his chest voice to reach that high!! :eek:
  • Options
    SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leona Lewis from X Factor.
    Jennifer Hudson from American Idol...