Friends Gripes

Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
Forum Member
OK, lighthearted thread, I know there's been tonnes of Friends threads over the years and I love the show but let's have a little moan fest for fun.
Post a little gripe or continuity error you spotted while you were watching the same old episodes over and over.

Today I'm watching the one where Rachel had the dream about Joey and she asks Monica if she ever had a weird sex dream like that. But in the first series she dreamed about having sex with the guys quite a bit.

Comments

• PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    Im sure Phoebe said she couldnt speak a single word of French and later is teaching Joey how to speak it and speaking it well. Ok, she could have learnt it but still seems like the writers forgot this previous statement.
  • leeowls87leeowls87 Posts: 1,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In one of the early episodes, Joey and Chandler offer to take Ross to hockey for his birthday, and the date in that episode is said to be October 20th! He says, "my birthday was 7 months ago," meaning his birthday was March, yet in the episode where Ross tries to punch Joey and breaks his thumb, they fill out his details, Ross says "you know my birthday!?" And Joey says "May-tem-ber???" And Ross says "OCTOBER 18"!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are loads of Friends inconsistencies - how they met, the layout of the apartments, birthdays, phobias, their ages ...
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Ooh here's another - in the episode where Julie and Ross are getting the cat, Monica talks fondly of their childhood cat and even has his old toys. In the very next episode, when Monica is tasting the Fistachio product she says she's allergic to cats and is for the rest of the show
    Forum Member
    leeowls87 wrote: »
    In one of the early episodes, Joey and Chandler offer to take Ross to hockey for his birthday, and the date in that episode is said to be October 20th! He says, "my birthday was 7 months ago," meaning his birthday was March, yet in the episode where Ross tries to punch Joey and breaks his thumb, they fill out his details, Ross says "you know my birthday!?" And Joey says "May-tem-ber???" And Ross says "OCTOBER 18"!

He mentions his birthday in another episode too when Gunther is asking Rachel when hers is but I forget what he says
  • chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    I always wondered why phoebe was part of the close group when she seems to be a bit of a bitch:D

she is very Conceited,frequently answering "i know" to compliments.

she insults the friends quite a bit.called monica high maintenence and rachel a walkover.

she mugged ross and tried to cut monica out of her life.

she is moody

she tried to ruin monicas restaraunt

she almost split up channdler and monica by stupidly telling chandler about richard on the plane.she puts her foot in it,breaking peoples confidences quite a bit

she lent money to monica and was asking for it back the next day.id be pissed at that.

she stabbed a cop

shes a vegan that eats meat,she hates big corporations but works for one.

chandler and joey got her jobs but she acted like a moron.

she throws many hissy fits and is ery inconsistant with her behaviour.

obviously,she has some great traits too,but she always kinda annoyed me.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is why Pheobe is my favourite 'Friend'. She starts off a a goody-goody hippie but has hidden (and sinister) depths.
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It amazed me that Joey was even able to function once we got to the latter series'. He went from being slightly stupid but cute to just plain dumb. The show lost its way in the last few seasons.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    At the end of Season 5 when they're in Vegas, both Ross and Rachel have permanent ink on their faces. Next morning at breakfast (although it's the start of Season 6), the ink is all gone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Phoebe always talks about the hard life she had on the streets after her mother's death because she had no one. In the series we see she has a loving grandmother from her mum's side. Where was her grandmother during that time? Never understood that.
    Forum Member

she almost split up channdler and monica by stupidly telling chandler about richard on the plane.

Yea and when Monica was telling the story of her and Chandler hooked up and Phoebe , quite meanly, said " now tell him who you were really looking for".

Actually, as well on Monica and Chandlers infamous get together they had sex seven times but only had one condom...
  • Just VogueJust Vogue Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chandler is meant to hate dogs and apparently can't stand being anywhere near them. However in the episode where Pheobe asks Monica and Chandler to look after 3 dogs they quite excitedly say yes, and in another episode Chandler is sitting right next to Pheobe when her real mother gives her a dog.

Joey's increasing stupidity is also very annoying. The one where he tries to speak french towards the very end of the series is just cringe worthy at how stupid he had become!
    Forum Member
    Joey speaking French is a real wtf moment.
    You'd wonder did the scriptwriters write his lines that badly or did he just goof around during filming and they left it in!!!
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she mugged ross

In fairness, that was before they were friends. Not that I'm condoning her mugging anybody of course. :o
  • k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    One that comes to mind are the inconsistencies with Ross' relationship history. In the first series Ross mentions that his first time was with Carol two years prior, however this is inconstant with the story of Ross' relationship with Mrs Altman the 50 year old librarian and a relationship with a cleaning lady whilst in college.
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    k0213818 wrote: »
    One that comes to mind are the inconsistencies with Ross' relationship history. In the first series Ross mentions that his first time was with Carol two years prior, however this is inconstant with the story of Ross' relationship with Mrs Altman the 50 year old librarian and a relationship with a cleaning lady whilst in college.

He only kissed Mrs Altman. Carol was the first woman he slept with.

I think the biggest inconsistency is that Rachel and Chandler knew each other when they were younger, when in the first few series they supposedly didn't meet until much later.
    However, you could argue that they saw each other so infrequently they forgot they had met before (despite kissing). Rachel especially could have forgotten about Chandler, like she did with Will, who she supposedly bullied for years.
    Forum Member
    Yea I think they really over did Monica, Ross and Chandler's shared history but most of the episodes were funny so I forgive.

Ross is also very inconsistent with his parenting.
    He couldn't move to London for Emily because of Ben but when Rachel was moving to Paris he didn't even react or question how it would effect his relationship with Emma!!

"Oh I'll never see Rachel again" - um, what about your daughter?
    I think they made a mistake having Ross as the father of Rachel's baby.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yea I think they really over did Monica, Ross and Chandler's shared history but most of the episodes were funny so I forgive.

Ross is also very inconsistent with his parenting.
    He couldn't move to London for Emily because of Ben but when Rachel was moving to Paris he didn't even react or question how it would effect his relationship with Emma!!

"Oh I'll never see Rachel again" - um, what about your daughter?
    I think they made a mistake having Ross as the father of Rachel's baby.

You thief! I came on this thread just to post that point about Ross :D
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    I know it's because he is playing a character and not himself, but I always found it quite amusing that, considering how much Chandler and Joey mention how much they love the movie Die Hard, they never realise that Bruce Willis dates Rachel for an episode :D
    Forum Member
    mr_me wrote: »
    You thief! I came on this thread just to post that point about Ross :D

Post it anyway :D keep the gripe fire burning
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Post it anyway :D keep the gripe fire burning

Haha well Ross was a terrible father. He never mentioned his son after around season 5 and didn't care that his daughter was about to move to Paris! It also showed that Rachel was pretty inconsiderate taking a job in France without even sitting down and discussing it with him!
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One error with Joey is when he see's the hot woman in Ross' building and goes to her flat (getting it wrong) 3 different times his shirt colour changes on each time
    Forum Member
    I never noticed that one I must watch out for it next time its on
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never noticed that one I must watch out for it next time its on

There is a video on youtube of all Friends blunders and that is featured on it
    Forum Member
    Ooooh goodie :) will check that out