Car Boot Sales

Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
Forum Member
✭✭✭
(No, not spare parts for the back of cars, you hilarious jokers)

It's that season again, for car boot sales! Anyone a fan?

As a kid we were forced to go every Sunday, went to one last year and its very cutthroat these days, folk opening your car doors when you pull up, before you've had a chance to unload!

Seems everyone wants to pay 50p for everything too, I found that a lot of Eastern Europeans seemed to use it as their equivalent of the Metrocentre.

Anyone heading car booting this year, as a seller or buyer?

Comments

• Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I've dropped two dress sizes recently. I've got a load of nice stuff - I've thought of doing a 'car boot' - can't be arsed with e bay. Never done one before though - any tips?
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love em, love markets generally but car boot sales are great for finding little gems! 90% junk granted but if you know where and what to look for you can usually come out with something worth your while searching for!

Crap in the rain though!
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    we used to go every sunday when the kids were young..was at the Ayr racecourse and think it still is..We moved more south so haven't been in years to one...I love them though and my friend went to one last year and bought me a paperweight that she'd seen as she knows I collect them and it was a wedgewood one that she only paid a couple of quid for
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Love em, love markets generally but car boot sales are great for finding little gems! 90% junk granted but if you know where and what to look for you can usually come out with something worth your while searching for!

Crap in the rain though!

Yes I'm certainly waiting for it to warm/brighten up before I do mine.
  • PopRocketPopRocket Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy looking round them, not been to one for a while though, i'll try to change that this year
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love them.

I actively encourage people to shop second hand especially through car boot sales and the like to avoid paying any tax.
  • Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've dropped two dress sizes recently. I've got a load of nice stuff - I've thought of doing a 'car boot' - can't be arsed with e bay. Never done one before though - any tips?

Prepare to be disappointed when people look at you like you're the scum of the earth because you want more than £1 for your belongings.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    We made almost a thousand pounds last year between us and my parents with them selling their and our stuff at boot sales, cant wait for them to all start again, it paid for a holiday for us last year :)
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    Uk Ltd wrote: »
    (No, not spare parts for the back of cars, you hilarious jokers)

It's that season again, for car boot sales! Anyone a fan?

As a kid we were forced to go every Sunday, went to one last year and its very cutthroat these days, folk opening your car doors when you pull up, before you've had a chance to unload!

Seems everyone wants to pay 50p for everything too, I found that a lot of Eastern Europeans seemed to use it as their equivalent of the Metrocentre.

Anyone heading car booting this year, as a seller or buyer?

I been to car boot sale eastern europeans are the wrost for koncking people down in there asking prices
    Forum Member
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    I been to car boot sale eastern europeans are the wrost for koncking people down in there asking prices

This is true all over the country, all they seem to be able to say is '50p'
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Love them.

I actively encourage people to shop second hand especially through car boot sales and the like to avoid paying any tax.

I think this government will tax car boots sales next
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    This is true all over the country, all they seem to be able to say is '50p'

And I saw them once buy a x box game for 50p and go to there car and sale them at prices like £5.00
  • Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I saw them once buy a x box game for 50p and go to there car and sale them at prices like £5.00

That's an old trick, set your stall up, go on a reckie, buy some bargains early on, and flog for profit on your own stall.
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never been one to buy but have sold a few times.

Soul destroying sometimes, loading the car up at 6 am on a chilly spring morning only to have to permanently haggle over 25/50p. Stuck there because you can't leave until those around you move.

Yes you make a bit of cash, but you lose some of your faith in the human race.:rolleyes:
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Popular with our Eastern European friends these days. All you hear is Polish accents wanting everything for 20p
    Forum Member

Yes we have seen that too, our local boot sales are almost all Eastern Europeans looking for stuff for 50p, they refuse to give more even for electrical items, you can only say no so many times before you have to give in if you want to make any profit.

you get the odd Brit coming along willing to pay a decent bit for a good quality items, but it can be hard sometimes to make a good profit if you only have trinkets to sell.
    Forum Member
    Hmmmmmmmm - rapidly going off the idea.:confused:
    Forum Member
    I was salling a blackberry phone on last year for £30 and this polish person rings up saying "me pay £10" " I said no" I did not like that and hung up,
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of other cultures have haggling as part of their way of life so for them its normal to start bidding with a low offer and for the two of you to work out a price
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Haven't been to a car boot sale for a few years, now.

The last one I went to the stuff was just rubbish! I came to the conclusion that, in this day and age, anything that's any good gets put on Ebay and everything else ends up at the car boot.

When I first started going there was no Ebay, or it was in it's infancy. Stuff at car boot sales was much better then.
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    A lot of other cultures have haggling as part of their way of life so for them its normal to start bidding with a low offer and for the two of you to work out a price

We have noticed though, that they always start with 50p and flatly refuse to go above that, they just walk away without a word if you ask for more.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    We did one last year and it seems to have become a cut throat industry since we last did one 10+ years ago. People were buying up stuff before the sale even started and marking it up to sell on their stall.
    And I had to chase some East european guy down to retrieve my sony psp after he decided he was going to to buy it for a pound whether I agreed to sell it or not. The cheeky beggar just put a pound down and walked off with it.
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    We did one last year and it seems to have become a cut throat industry since we last did one 10+ years ago. People were buying up stuff before the sale even started and marking it up to sell on their stall.
    And I had to chase some East european guy down to retrieve my sony psp after he decided he was going to to buy it for a pound whether I agreed to sell it or not. The cheeky beggar just put a pound down and walked off with it.

You really have to watch them dont you? I think its quite sad how boot sales are now just a way for others to try and get stuff for their stalls for nothing, rather than families going along for the fun of finding a bargain or something nostalgic.
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    the pc do gooders say they all good people.
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    I got accused of short changing at the last one I did. She gave me a fiver for an item, changed her mind and asked for it back. Then accused me of keeping a ten pound note and not giving her the right change. I went mental as she was trying to create a scene so I did it back. Thing was, between my husband and me we didn't have a ten note as we'd spent the last one at the burger van five minutes earlier.