Options

Do you want to go work down a coal mine?

Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone here who'd want to go and work down a pit these days?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    No...
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would not.

I would have a bad back.

My legs would be shot.

I would have emphysema and die early.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did for two years, not a mine but a pit. It was an OK job.

I was here. My number was 1126.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/mmartin/fifepits/starter/west/pits/c/pit-2.htm
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for a million a year.

I come from a mining family and know what it did to my grandfather and uncles. My gradand lost a brother and his right leg in one accident. My dad only escaped as he was the youngest son and the local mine had closed by time he left school.

If the mines did open the only place they'd find workers is from eastern Europe. The youth of today are too soft.
  • Options
    NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My grandfather in law was a miner, he was a communist and activist and a huge force within the NUM. Whatever you make of that, I feel proud that my daughter has his genes. I hope she has any part of the drive, determination and passion he showed.

I have read some of the transcripts of his career in the 30's - 40's, and I would never make a miner. He was a brave, altruistic man, I am somewhat of a coward.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the pay like?
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't the Tory government's latest work for benefits scheme is it?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Great Grandfather died down a pit. My Grandfather worked in a pit.

My father worked in a foundry. It was not dangerous as such but he was knackered at the age of 37 and dead when he was 47.

My dad always encouraged me not to do a dirty job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NatoPMT wrote: »
    My grandfather in law was a miner, he was a communist and activist and a huge force within the NUM. Whatever you make of that, I feel proud that my daughter has his genes. I hope she has any part of the drive, determination and passion he showed.

I have read some of the transcripts of his career in the 30's - 40's, and I would never make a miner. He was a brave, altruistic man, I am somewhat of a coward.

My FIL, a Pole, worked in the Fife pits in seams less than 2.5 feet high. He was the strongest man I have ever met, it was all hand work in the 40's & 50's.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a heartbeat...better than being unemployed!
  • Options
    Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    My grandfather was a miner until an accident in the 50s
    He was a miner when WW2 broke out, and so wasn't called up for military service (mining was a 'reserved occupation'), but in 1941 he was allowed to join the RAF, and spent the last 4yrs of the war as a navigator in Coastal Command.
    After the war he went back to the mines when his squadron was disbanded, until he was caught in a roof cave-in in the early 50s - he lived another 30yrs, but never walked again.

When I was a kid, he always told me to never go down the pit.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    What's the pay like?

£40-50,000 a year for the top paid (and hardest) jobs according to this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15445418

I can think of easier and safer ways of earning that money.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could go down there and sing that song, 'Workin' In A Coal Mine', to pass the time! Remember that song? From the upbeat quality to it, you'd think mine-work was quite light and good fun. The original version, which I liked, was from the sixties, but Devo did a version in the 70s, didn't they?
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Carlos_dfc wrote: »
    My grandfather was a miner until an accident in the 50s
    He was a miner when WW2 broke out, and so wasn't called up for military service (mining was a 'reserved occupation'), but in 1941 he was allowed to join the RAF, and spent the last 4yrs of the war as a navigator in Coastal Command.
    After the war he went back to the mines when his squadron was disbanded, until he was caught in a roof cave-in in the early 50s - he lived another 30yrs, but never walked again.

When I was a kid, he always told me to never go down the pit.

My grandpa was a miner too, likewise, during the war he was in a reserved occupation so did his bit as an ARP, going round the village to ensure the blackout was adhered to. He died before I was born, it was a tough job.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. It would be an awful job for me.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it took real bravery and commitment to be a miner.It's not something I think I could ever have done (As a woman, in recent times anyway, I wouldn't have had to make the choice.)

I found it very telling on a visit to the Beamish Museum, that men who had been miners previously, gravitated to those in charge of explaining to visitors what life in the mine was like. They all seemed to have a very special kinship, and ALL spoke with great affection of their days down the mine and said how much they missed it.
  • Options
    SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nada, I'd ruin my good suit. Kapiche
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I would end up panicking and feel like I couldn't breathe.

I admire anyone brave enough to do it especially those chilean miners who got trapped a few years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    What's the pay like?

Most of my husband's family and friends were miners. They all say it was a hard, relentless life, but they valued the cameraderie and pride that went with it. By the end, before the pits were closed, it was quite well-paid work; but none of them seem 100% well. A lot of them seem to suffer from vibration white finger, which seems unpleasant. I think my father in law was pleased that my husband got a more white collar job.

I used to feel sorry for the pit ponies. They lived underground and never saw a green field. The mines in Northumberland go for miles under the sea, and there was no question of hauling the ponies out at the end of a working day.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Not for me. I suffer from back problems as it is.

As for miners pay, I don't begrudge them that. By all accounts it is a difficult and dangerous job, in the scheme of things.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Are we supposed to infer that the OP is suggesting Maggie did everybody a favour?
  • Options
    wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    only if its got wifi
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    No. Barely anyone does 'go down the mine' anymore, do they? The coal-mines by me are opencast.
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, you couldn't pay me to work down a mine. Or in McDonalds. Or doing anything dangerous or any number of things. Any of us could rhyme off the things they wouldn't do. Thankfully there are always other people that are willing and able doing those things.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Not for a million a year.

I come from a mining family and know what it did to my grandfather and uncles. My gradand lost a brother and his right leg in one accident. My dad only escaped as he was the youngest son and the local mine had closed by time he left school.

If the mines did open the only place they'd find workers is from eastern Europe. The youth of today are too soft.

Back in the sixties mining (or at least tin mining which I did for a few years) was already considered so dangerous and unpleasant that declining work in one did not affect unemployment money. The mine I worked at, South Crofty, despite offering the chance to earn very good money in a county with high unemployment already seemed to have a lot of difficulty getting face workers and already had to bring in Polish and S African miners.

So perhaps not such a new phenomena?