Another Old Face Potentially Returning - Early Reports...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    I care and I imagine a lot of others agree to. If the story isn't very good I'll be very disappointed. I think people should give up with the whole 'it's only celebrating the past 8 years" because it seems that a lot of people will only be happy if there are classic doctors in there. For me, but this is just my opinion, it's all about the story. Doctor Who is and was brilliant, surely a great way of celebrating that would be by having a brilliant special.

Agreed. I've always presumed that the 50th script would celebrate the show's essence more so than its trivia. The fact that David Tennant is appearing shouldn't be a sign that they're only going to look back as far as 2005. Indeed, David is probably the biggest Who fan of all the Doctor actors, so he of all people acknowledges that while his name might add a million to the ratings, his involvement won't be the centrepiece.

Moffat (and RTD before him) has been given the challenge of both respecting the show's history (he clearly loves it) and making populist production decisions. Can't imagine how much pressure he's been under. Quitting Twitter was a wise move.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    this is exactly what i was thinking before you guys said this.. great minds think a like... it would be the biggest and best teaser campaign to date wouldn't it lol
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    I care and I imagine a lot of others agree to. If the story isn't very good I'll be very disappointed. I think people should give up with the whole 'it's only celebrating the past 8 years" because it seems that a lot of people will only be happy if there are classic doctors in there. For me, but this is just my opinion, it's all about the story. Doctor Who is and was brilliant, surely a great way of celebrating that would be by having a brilliant special.

The Five Doctors managed both - it wasn't a great story but it was decent enough and managed to use all previous elements from the show. They can make 13 brilliant episodes a year - let this special be just that 'special' for ALL fans not just the younger fans.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my lurking days, I'm sure I read a thread on here where a FM had seen Christopher Ecclston in a supermarket or something and had begged him to do the anniversay! I suppose s/he should get the credit if CE appears lol
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    If this is true, then Eccleston returning really is more exciting than Tennant and I'd rather Rose paired with Nine than Ten to be honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    In my lurking days, I'm sure I read a thread on here where a FM had seen Christopher Ecclston in a supermarket or something and had begged him to do the anniversay! I suppose s/he should get the credit if CE appears lol

With Eccleston, if anything, that would send him running.

I don't mean that in a bad way, but grabbing the poor guy in a supermarket. Ick.
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    With Eccleston, if anything, that would send him running.

I don't mean that in a bad way, but grabbing the poor guy in a supermarket. Ick.

I know, I'd hate to be well known. Imagine someone haranguing you about your old job whilst you're buying baked beans. :p;)
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    If this is true, then Eccleston returning really is more exciting than Tennant and I'd rather Rose paired with Nine than Ten to be honest.

I agree with this. As I said yesterday, the return of Tennant is exciting because it's an event. The return of Eccleston is exciting because it's Eccleston. :D

That said, I'm worried I'm also getting my hopes up too much, and all this hope if let down is going to leave me feeling more disappointed than if I just knew from the off not to expect him in it. It's surprising I'm at a point where I can even consider him having a role to play - ask most people this time last year, and Eccleston's absence would have been a dead cert.
  • owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't think Eccleston is returning. :o I thought he hated DW?
    But I REALLY hope I'm wrong. I would just run up and down my road crying and hugging random strangers if it was announced.
  • capt. tancredicapt. tancredi Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I'd squee myself to death if they announced Eccleston was coming back - but I'm not too hopeful. I can't see why they would announce Tennant and Eccleston separately (unless negotiations with CE are ongoing - but that seems unlikely as they've started filming). Like Owly, I REALLY hope I'm proven wrong in November...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imagine if they just badly edited Nine in just for the sake of completeness.
    Eleven: Right, we have to think of a plan.

Nine: - "Assets, assets!" -

Ten: Don't get distracted!

Nine: - | "We" - "must" "leave" $"right"$ - "now" |

Eleven: Yes, I agree with you, Northern one (who is definitely here in the room with us).

Nine: - Bananas are good!

Eleven: Hardly relevant, but I agree.

Nine: - # He's a bit pretty #
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I want to see someone do that... it must happen :p
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    The Five Doctors managed both - it wasn't a great story but it was decent enough and managed to use all previous elements from the show. They can make 13 brilliant episodes a year - let this special be just that 'special' for ALL fans not just the younger fans.

Are you saying that older fans will only appreciate the special if classic doctors are involved or the classic series is constantly referenced?
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Not constantly, but it HAS to be referenced, certainly. Hence Zygons. Hence it's a multi Doctor story as is tradition.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd actually like to see Paul McGann back as the Eighth Doctor more than I'd like to see any other Doctor back. His time on the television show deserves to be more than one attempted American revival.
    Can't really see it happening though, but who knows!
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd actually like to see Paul McGann back as the Eighth Doctor more than I'd like to see any other Doctor back. His time on the television show deserves to be more than one attempted American revival.

Now I've got Ten, I should be totally happy, and I am, but to see Eight again would be just wonderful! :)
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I completely agree. I'd love McGann back.
  • GillrayGillray Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    I would assume there would be more returning Doctors than just David Tennant, that's not even a celebration of New Who never mind all Who. Just a two Doctor story would be particularly half-arsed considering they managed all the Doctors for the 10th and 20th anniversary stories.

Moffat is still trying to keep it all under wraps so it's surprising that Tennant's involvement has been announced, so perhaps they're saving the appearence of other Doctors for the actual programme, keeping some surprises back. Here's hoping!
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Half-arsed" doesn't account for actor interest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »

...and here it is...
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1596890&highlight=bagel+nash
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    HandsomeBB wrote: »

Story would've resulted in Chris already being announced if the poster had bribed a small child to say Chris was his favourite Doctor and begged him to return..

As much as Chris has a love/hate relationship with the franchise, he was all about giving the children intelligent writing and a good role model.
    If a few children stopped him and begged him to come back, he probably would ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that Zygon looks BEAUTIFUL i love it.....i was so surprised to see it but so chuffed...remenmber watching some of them in the past so yeah even more excited for their return :D YAY!!!!

and still loads and loads more to come :D
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    HandsomeBB wrote: »

That's a great story. I once saw him out when I was out drinking in London town. He was with friends and I was too scared to speak to him at all, let alone beg him to do the 50th anniversary.
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P McGann regeneration?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I can tell, there was one 'smart-phone celebrity check-in' of CE at Cardiff today. No other details, and no exact time, so it can't be cross-referenced with train times.

Other sightings seem to come an hour later and say the same thing. So, is it just one person playing attention games with their iPhone, that's going viral? Can't rule it out...