Visit from TV licence officer - we've been stupid.

Comments

• mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad thing really - as you required a licence if you had a set capable of reception, so no pathetic excuses as now - with claims not to watch live or recorded broadcasts.
    This is incorrect. It may be a silly distinction but you don't need a licence if you don't watch live TV as it is broadcast.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,502
    Forum Member
    This is incorrect. It may be a silly distinction but you don't need a licence if you don't watch live TV as it is broadcast.

Perhaps you should study your 'tenses' :D

'Had' as I used is PAST tense - and the licence was previously required for possession of a capable set, hence the retailer reporting system. The changes to the licence system is why the reporting was discontinued - although it continued (pointlessly) for quite a while after the change.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should have gone to specsavers! :D
    Forum Member
    I should have gone to specsavers! :D

I did! :D
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    What usually happens in situations like this is that a strange van pulls up outside your house at 3am, a couple of days after the visit. A bunch of men in balaclavas then burst into your home, tie a sack over your head and drag you away screaming into the van, where you're tranquillised.

The next day you'll wake up in an interrogation room in an unknown country with a bright light in your eyes and be asked some probing questions by a silhouetted figure, and your DNA taken. For every false or inaccurate answer you give, an electrical shock will be applied to your feet. You may or may not recognise the voice of your interrogator as Hew Edwards.

If you play nice, you may be re-tranquillised and wake up naked on Cromer beach, finding that your bank accounts have been cleared out, with the bank peculiarly being totally uninterested in investigating the matter. If you're awkward, start talking about your rights, or waffle about "unfair taxes" or some such, you could well end up in a Bancock prison under a false name, with your true identity completely erased so that no one can ever find you.

Good luck.
    Notice how the Original Poster disappeared an hour after starting this thread without ever resolving the issue?

See, I was right! She must have been awkward with them.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the stores yes, but not for the TVL - it made their job easy :D

Maybe, if so then why get rid of the need to do so?
    Bad thing really - as you required a licence if you had a set capable of reception, so no pathetic excuses as now - with claims not to watch live or recorded broadcasts.

But it is not a excuse for some people, like myself I do not watch live Tv at home and have not done so for over 2 years, in fact it got to be closer to 3 years now.
    So why should I be hounded for just having a TV that is capable of reception?

I have two PVR's in my bedroom packed up in boxes, should I be hounded about them as well even if they have not been used for nearly 3 years?

Someone I know have a old CRT TV set, analogue only, still capable of picking up signals if they was transmitted, it is used for DVD's and neflix, now I got him into Netflix. So should he be hounded for that? Saying that he is hounded, a lot more than what I am, I have no idea why. He do not even have a aerial on the roof.
    Around christmas he is going to buy a nice new 50 inch TV, well he said it will be 50 inch, he said it is about time he updated, and his girfriend thinks it is time he did.
    So if the notification system was still going, he would be hounded even more by the TVL.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you should study your 'tenses' :D

'Had' as I used is PAST tense - and the licence was previously required for possession of a capable set, hence the retailer reporting system. The changes to the licence system is why the reporting was discontinued - although it continued (pointlessly) for quite a while after the change.

Did it? Not where i worked it did not, on the day of the change there was notices on the customer service and checkouts. All blank forms was removed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Notice how the Original Poster disappeared an hour after starting this thread without ever resolving the issue?

See, I was right! She must have been awkward with them.

I just refuse to let them in, is that awkward enough?
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Did it? Not where i worked it did not, on the day of the change there was notices on the customer service and checkouts. All blank forms was removed.

Perhaps you misunderstood? - the 'change' that it continued past was the licensing change, to 'watching/recording live TV' from 'owning a capable set' - as was clear from the sentence it was in.
    Maybe, if so then why get rid of the need to do so?

As already explained, the licensing conditions changed - so it was no longer relevant to report all TV sales.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member

Yes it is. I'm amazed the same hasn't happened to you yet, unless they're planning something 'special'...
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a bit sad that people try to evade it and not be able to watch the telly... Netflix and the like is not always the answer, it's nice to just put the news on or the Christmas countdown in VH1..

For £5.60 a week I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.. And restrictions
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    Yes it is.

Not to mention self-defeating.

Failure to cooperate will pretty much guarantee repeat visits.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Yosemite wrote: »

Just means they are wasting thier time, as you dont have to let them into your home, Tells you that on tv licence website
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »

Well, they have not been back, or I have been out, but since over the last couple of months I have been home most days and nights, I do not think they have.
    So it seemed to have work, unless they have been, looked through my window and seen my aerial cable taped up with no plug on it and decided that was good enough
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Long shot question asking here but.... does anyone know if the TV Licence people sometimes call at 8am. Had someone a-knocking around this time today and being 1/2 asleep I didn't answer and they didn't leave a note. It wasn't a loud, urgent, "building is burning" / "I'm bleeding to death" kind of a knock, more of a "pssst, is there anyone in there, I'm trying hard not to wake anyone else up" kind of a knock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Long shot question asking here but.... does anyone know if the TV Licence people sometimes call at 8am. Had someone a-knocking around this time today and being 1/2 asleep I didn't answer and they didn't leave a note. It wasn't a loud, urgent, "building is burning" / "I'm bleeding to death" kind of a knock, more of a "pssst, is there anyone in there, I'm trying hard not to wake anyone else up" kind of a knock.

it wont be TVL, im pretty sure they dont understand what the word, discretion means
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't be harsed with people knocking on the door for money. I just pay the TV licence.

I watch it, I have no complaints. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't be harsed with people knocking on the door for money. I just pay the TV licence.

agreed...i couldnt bear a life of unplugging the phone, closing the curtains and dreading the postman...
    Forum Member
    agreed...i couldnt bear a life of unplugging the phone, closing the curtains and dreading the postman...

Who has to live like that,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Who has to live like that,

i was relating to the post above having people knock on your door for money..
    Forum Member
    i was relating to the post above having people knock on your door for money..

There has always been door to door salesmen, cold callers more on the phone now than door to door, but even so no matter who it is people can just say no thankyou close door end of.
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell them bollocks and there is nothing on tv worth bloody watching anyway, then shut the door.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And that is the problem with this country, or one of them anyway.
    People just carry on paying because they think it is hassle not to.

I do not pay and I get no hassle or not enough to worry about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that is the problem with this country, or one of them anyway.
    People just carry on paying because they think it is hassle not to.

I do not pay and I get no hassle or not enough to worry about.

not exactly, with respect, most people i know just watch TV in the normal fashion.

it happens to be the law..like road tax and motor insurance...and council tax...

its all part of running a household
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV licence contractors have no rights to enter your property. And you certainly do not have to give them any information WHATSOEVER - NOT EVEN YOUR NAME!
    Just politely ask them to remove themselves from your land and close the door - simples