Options

Cheap Vacuum cleaners

Lincoln HawkLincoln Hawk Posts: 1,783
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Are they any good or is it a false economy and should I just fork out for a good one. I didn't realise you could buy them as cheaply as £17.99 nowadays until I just looked on the Argos website.

Comments

• Options
    HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get a cleaner in, its even cheaper!!
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a Panasonic upright vacuum back in 1992 when I bought my first flat. I think it cost around £90 at the time.

18 years later and it's still going strong, albeit that I've had to tape up the tubey bit with some duck tape as it fell out of its holder!

Blimey, clearly I haven't drunk enough gin if I'm posting on here on Christmas day about hoovers! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    waste of money , you would be better sucking the dirt up with a straw :eek: :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I have an old Electrolux that I bought back in 1989 when I bought my first flat, it still works although I have lost all of the extension tubes and tools. I've had to replace the belts and filters over the years but that is all. It cost me about £50 at the time.

I have tried to retire it a couple of times, bought a Dyson a few years ago which picked up well but was otherwise poorly made and the motor broke after 18 months. Out came the old one again.

I then bought another Dyson, a more expensive one this time. It lasted two years before the motor broke down. Out came the old one again.

Then it was a Vax, which did well but then the on/off switch broke. I still use it but only for cleaning the carpet not as a regular vacuum, the bags are expensive for it. Out came the old one again.

I was then bought a new cyclonic bagless Electrolux a couple of years ago. Touch wood it is still going strong. Seems to be similar to a Dyson but appears to be much more solid and better built. But the old one is in the cupboard just in case, and I can still buy bags for it too. :)

So more expensive doesn't always mean better, but then again don't expect a £20 quid cleaner to last for years. It probably wont, but these days you just never know.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I have an old Electrolux that I bought back in 1989 when I bought my first flat, it still works although I have lost all of the extension tubes and tools. I've had to replace the belts and filters over the years but that is all. It cost me about £50 at the time.

I have tried to retire it a couple of times, bought a Dyson a few years ago which picked up well but was otherwise poorly made and the motor broke after 18 months. Out came the old one again.

I then bought another Dyson, a more expensive one this time. It lasted two years before the motor broke down. Out came the old one again.

Then it was a Vax, which did well but then the on/off switch broke. I still use it but only for cleaning the carpet not as a regular vacuum, the bags are expensive for it. Out came the old one again.

I was then bought a new cyclonic bagless Electrolux a couple of years ago. Touch wood it is still going strong. Seems to be similar to a Dyson but appears to be much more solid and better built. But the old one is in the cupboard just in case, and I can still buy bags for it too. :)

So more expensive doesn't always mean better, but then again don't expect a £20 quid cleaner to last for years. It probably wont, but these days you just never know.

My electrolux bagless vaccuum outlived my Dyson too. It is still going even though the lead does not go back in, the steering wheel thing is snapped, the hose has broken countless time. The motor is still going strong.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Get a Henry. Made in the UK and last forever.

Take a look at Homebase or Robert Dyas, you can often pick one up at around £80.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a Henry. Made in the UK and last forever.

Take a look at Homebase or Robert Dyas, you can often pick one up at around £80.

I will second that, we brought our henry about 10 years ago and it is still going strong. Grandparents have had theirs even longer.
    My aunt brought a dyson about 6 years ago and has replaced it twice since then.
    So it seems like horses for courses. You can buy a very expensive vacuum cleaner which is crap or a mid priced one that runs forever.
    I probably wouldn't go for the cheapest of the cheap though. False economy with cheap tat normally.
  • Options
    flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    best value and probably cheapest in the long run is the "henry" without doubt the best Vacaum cleaner that money can buy. Its robust and reliable comes in many colours and should last 10 years compare thjat to the worse value for money "any dyson" these are without doubt a great piece of art its a shame they dont actually work well. too mnay things attached to them ,crap at anything than the perfect carpet, rubbish at floors and staircase, well dont even try one there as yu end up ,throwing the thing down the staircase at sillyprices of up to £300 you have to be jokeing.
    The only other machine i would recommend is a VAC they are good especially for flooding. b ut they are very expensive.,
  • Options
    Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had many vacuum cleaners cheap to expensive, and I believe that this is a prime example of the old saying that you get what you pay for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jojo01 wrote: »
    I bought a Panasonic upright vacuum back in 1992 when I bought my first flat. I think it cost around £90 at the time.

18 years later and it's still going strong, albeit that I've had to tape up the tubey bit with some duck tape as it fell out of its holder!

Blimey, clearly I haven't drunk enough gin if I'm posting on here on Christmas day about hoovers! :D

You don't have a Hoover though, do you? You have a Panasonic. Hoover manufacture vacuum cleaners and Panasonic manufacture vacuum cleaners but Hoover don't manufacture Panasonics and Panasonic don't manufacture Hoovers. They both manufacture vacuum cleaners.
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MagiGirl wrote: »
    You don't have a Hoover though, do you? You have a Panasonic. Hoover manufacture vacuum cleaners and Panasonic manufacture vacuum cleaners but Hoover don't manufacture Panasonics and Panasonic don't manufacture Hoovers. They both manufacture vacuum cleaners.

'Hoover' has become a generic name for a vacuum cleaner. Just like selloptape for sticky tape.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Ive had a cheapie argos hoover for 2 years now and I quite like it. I paid about 16 quid for mine and it works much better than I expected it to. Its fine on a hard floor and not too bad on carpet. It is just me in my apartment so I suppose in a house with lots of people or pet hair it might not be as effective. I do quite like henrys but theyre heavy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Hoover' has become a generic name for a vacuum cleaner. Just like selloptape for sticky tape.

No, the generic name for a vacuum cleaner is - not surprisingly - vacuum cleaner. And I've never even heard of selloptape - did you make that one up?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Dysons are so over engineered and a very clumsy bit of kit, horrible expensive things.

Give me a Henry anyday, simplicity and great value, works very well.

Why are we talking about hoovers on xmas day. :eek:
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Henderson wrote: »
    Get a cleaner in, its even cheaper!!

and ask her is she do it in the buff:D:D
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't drunk enough gin if I'm posting on here on Christmas day about hoovers! :D

Ewwww the smell of Gin makes me feel sick.

Even the memory of the smell of gin is making me feel a bit queasy now.

*shudder*