My Hermes delivery query

DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,226
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A bit puzzled. Delivery instructions are to leave in porch and confirmed by email.

Have just found this tracking info.

09/02/2013 13:20 Courier to Re-attempt
09/02/2013 04:11 Out For Delivery
08/02/2013 20:44 Processed at Depot
08/02/2013 08:40 Warehouse Scan
07/02/2013 06:08 Order Generated

Nothing on that tracking about actually trying to deliver it is there? It says to re-attempt delivery but why as it was supposed to left in the porch anyway and where is the first attempt? On top of that we were in the house at 13.20 today anyway. No card either.

Comments

• sybilvimessybilvimes Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I asked Hermes about this a few months ago. Apparently it doesn't necessarily mean that the courier tried to deliver to the house. It can also mean that the courier has the parcel but perhaps didn't have time to deliver it on that day and will try another time.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4AM seems helluva early to be out for delivery, but presumably that wasn't updated in real time.

With this being a Saturday, perhaps the courier only works half day and didn't get around to delivering your parcel as anticipated.

If you had a specified delivery day of today, then contact the sender about failing to meet the delivery day. Otherwise I would hang fire and wait to see if it turns up on Mon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Hermes are the absolute worst "couriers" I have ever delt with.

They use housewifes with vauxhall corsa's to collect and deliver parcels.

The last one I had collected, she came at half six on a Wednesday evening and it got delivered the following Tuesday morning.

For an extra 50p, I could have got a next day on City Link.

Disgusting service
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »
    A bit puzzled. Delivery instructions are to leave in porch and confirmed by email.

Have just found this tracking info.

09/02/2013 13:20 Courier to Re-attempt
    09/02/2013 04:11 Out For Delivery
    08/02/2013 20:44 Processed at Depot
    08/02/2013 08:40 Warehouse Scan
    07/02/2013 06:08 Order Generated

Nothing on that tracking about actually trying to deliver it is there? It says to re-attempt delivery but why as it was supposed to left in the porch anyway and where is the first attempt? On top of that we were in the house at 13.20 today anyway. No card either.

I had exactly that last week too and it said the same left on porch. No card either. It left me puzzled.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks never had a delivery from them before so don't know how they work. Used to seeing a reason for non-delivery on the tracking with other couriers. Have now realised someone tried to ring when we were out, not around 13.20 though! Guessing perhaps for some reason couldn't find us and therefore didn't try to deliver?
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got the sinking feeling this evening when I queried where my ebay goodies ordered two weeks ago were and the seller sent me a myhermes tracking number.

doubt I will ever see them.

oh well paypal refund here we come, but really I would have preferred the goodies.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it must depend on the area you are in my hermes are really good here but city link is awful
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Hermes man, drops our parcels over the (high) side gate :eek: and writes on a card where it is ... have never asked him to do this or signed for these parcels :confused: Just hope nothing fragile is sent via Hermes ....
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whitey_GRN wrote: »
    My Hermes are the absolute worst "couriers" I have ever delt with.

That's odd, they have always provided me with excellent service.
    They use housewifes with vauxhall corsa's to collect and deliver parcels.

Is that how they advertise their recruitment?

"Wanted: Housewives with Vauxhall Corsas for deliveries."
    The last one I had collected, she came at half six on a Wednesday evening and it got delivered the following Tuesday morning.

I don't think she actually did the delivering part of it.

Do you think they should work shorter hours?
    For an extra 50p, I could have got a next day on City Link.

Disgusting service

Your own fault for being so cheap then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks never had a delivery from them before so don't know how they work. Used to seeing a reason for non-delivery on the tracking with other couriers. Have now realised someone tried to ring when we were out, not around 13.20 though! Guessing perhaps for some reason couldn't find us and therefore didn't try to deliver?

Even though they called you to ask for further instructions?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our Hermes man, drops our parcels over the (high) side gate :eek: and writes on a card where it is ... have never asked him to do this or signed for these parcels :confused: Just hope nothing fragile is sent via Hermes ....

Well....there is an easy solution to that.
  • Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    my catalogue delivers with this carrier i have never had a problem
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I really thought this was about scarves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they have lost 6 parcels of mine since christmas they leave them outside my flat door telling the company its a porch its a main entrance to a block of flats the thing is i dont know if they are getting stolen or not being delivered
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though they called you to ask for further instructions?

No they didn't , the call actually wasn't from them. In fact they hadn't done anything. It was delivered on the Monday. You seem very aggressive in your defence of them considering all l asked was what it meant. Do you work for them? The tracking made no sense it said "reattempt delivery" when they hadn't attempted in the first place. Nothing at all was attempted until the Monday and if you had read my post properly you would have seen it was to be left in the porch so no other instructions were required in any event. There was a time on here you could ask a question and get a sensible reply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they didn't , the call actually wasn't from them. In fact they hadn't done anything. It was delivered on the Monday. You seem very aggressive in your defence of them considering all l asked was what it meant. Do you work for them? The tracking made no sense it said "reattempt delivery" when they hadn't attempted in the first place. Nothing at all was attempted until the Monday and if you had read my post properly you would have seen it was to be left in the porch so no other instructions were required in any event. There was a time on here you could ask a question and get a sensible reply.

First of all, I am not "defending" them, what I am doing dispelling the reactionary hyperbole that always accompanies these sorts of threads. For example, the ridiculous implication that all their couriers are housewives who drive Vauxhall Corsas and the over the top outrage that they are "the worst ever."

I have seen these threads before on other forums. You get moaning minnies, complaining that the courier does what they are told, but are supposed to telepathic when the arrangements change. That they spent two days looking for a parcel left on the porch them are fatally shocked that hey apparently left in full view pf the street, "where anyone could have stolen it," conveniently forgetting that they themselves took two whole days to spot it. Another I recall, was someone complaining that the courier left the parcel on the porch and put a card through the letter box. The complaint was because the courier didn't knock. But it turned out that the bell was not working and the courier should have known this.

Secondly, why is it that when someone speaks out against things like that, they must work for the organisation being criticised. Thee was a time on these forums that one could say something positive, without being accused of being a plant.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would it mean if an order places 13 days ago and hermes status has said "order generated" could it be the item has been stolen\?
  • Kingsd316Kingsd316 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same has just happened to me, first time i have ever had anything delivered by them:
    04/03/2013 12:31 Courier to Re-attempt
    04/03/2013 05:27 Out For Delivery
    03/03/2013 23:27 Processed at Depot
    03/03/2013 21:04 Receipt at Depot
    01/03/2013 22:06 Hub Sorter Receipt Scan

This is BS as im sitting in my house and have been all morning!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kingsd316 wrote: »
    Same has just happened to me, first time i have ever had anything delivered by them:
    04/03/2013 12:31 Courier to Re-attempt
    04/03/2013 05:27 Out For Delivery
    03/03/2013 23:27 Processed at Depot
    03/03/2013 21:04 Receipt at Depot
    01/03/2013 22:06 Hub Sorter Receipt Scan

This is BS as im sitting in my house and have been all morning!!

It will be with the local courier and some of them are only part time and work mornings only so your item will still be with them and delivered soon. Unfortunatly for them everything is electronic and once their shift ends on the computer all their undelivered items get changed to the Re-attempt status.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Haven't had any dealings with Hermes so can't comment on them. It could be they don't operate in my area.

Worst couriers I've come across are DPD, Yodel and City Link.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like DPD and the one hour time slot text you get in the morning, much better than sitting in all day waiting. Think one of the others have started doing this too, but can't remember who it is.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree, DPD are the most reliable and user-friendly courier I've ever known.
  • TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a lot of stuff delivered with Hermes most recent being today in fact and never had a problem. My courier is usually reliable and you can usually pinpoint the time she is going to arrive and she doesn't actually drive a Vauxhall Corsa.

She will do her best to deliver as per instructions given and I actually took in a parcel from her for one of the neighbours because they were one ignoring the door and she had tried to follow all the possible delivery instructions they had given, by the third day of attempting delivery understandly she was getting fed up and frustrated but she did her best to get the parcel delivered with minimum fuss and drama.

I appreciate not everyone will be lucky but it's not fair to instantly dismiss the entire company or people working for them and no I don't actually work for them either I don't drive for a start so would be a bit difficult.

I would certainly trust them over some of the others anyday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    This is the 4th day in 2 weeks I have had to wait in for a parcel to be collected and returned to Ideal World. Apparently IW actually contacted Hermes this morning and was ASSURED the parcel was down for collection today. So far, 4.30 pm and no sign of courier. The most shoddy service I have ever come across - no way of contacting them (have tried, trust me) which says it all. Not impressed. They don't deserve customers :mad:
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work for them - so I have an idea of how things are run. Yes, there are many factors to consider - it's not a one size fits all - some good staff and some bad staff, same as anywhere else. And you only seem to hear the negatives on here, never the positives. One of the main problems is that everything is computer generated, and sometimes as has been explained, there could have been a genuine reason for non-delivery - even a breakdown or sickness