✭✭✭
sky should make their hd pack free for subscribers

Comments

• Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    ftakeith wrote: »
    And what is supposed to happen to the "HD fees" Sky are paying to - at least some - channels? These are the only things keeping ITV2/3/4HD, for example, going.
  • Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member

Why do you think that? :confused:
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

everyone's a business expert aren't they!
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for that reasoned argument full of relevant points.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    everyone's a business expert aren't they!

Does any other TV network in Europe charge the subscriber for HD.If so which ones are they .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect the first 3 letters of this experts name tells us everything we need to know about him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jono t wrote: »
    Does any other TV network in Europe charge the subscriber for HD.If so which ones are they .

As chenks suggests the OP seems to be trying to wind other posters up. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jono t wrote: »

BT Sport adds on 25% for HD.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »

But 25% of £0 would be £0...

Seriously though, they are just following the Sky model. And for the same reason, I will never subscribe separately to Sky or BT HD (or anyone else's for that matter).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »

Seriously though, they are just following the Sky model. And for the same reason, I will never subscribe separately to Sky or BT HD (or anyone else's for that matter).

but you're forgetting that if there was no revenue stream from an HD package, the majority (it not all) subscription HD channels probably would not exist as they use the income from the sub to provide the channels. (ITV being a prime example).

with no extra revenue, what's in it for channels to provide an HD version.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Why would you not sub to HD channels? Perhaps I shouldn't have asked. ;)
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »

I've told you already, it's not 25%. It's £3, regardless of how much you're paying for the SD channels.

The only exception is the "free HD" offer for those signing up before August 2013.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    I've told you already, it's not 25%. It's £3, regardless of how much you're paying for the SD channels.

They could have just charged a flat rate of £15 (for those who have to pay!!) and done a Virgin and say HD is 'free'.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Correct me if i am wrong here, but Sky doesn't offer a 'HD Pack' anymore (Apart from those still on the old package model)
    If you subscribe to EE+ you get HD..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Correct me if i am wrong here, but Sky doesn't offer a 'HD Pack' anymore (Apart from those still on the old package model)
    If you subscribe to EE+ you get HD..

you're still essentially paying £5pm for those channels in HD.
  • Options
    daveellisdaveellis Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    HD is free on freesat so you know what to do.:Dafter reading this i rang sky and asked to upgrade to HD and was told it would be £10.50 so is that right:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daveellis wrote: »
    HD is free on freesat so you know what to do.:)

those channels are also free on Sky :D
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    but you're forgetting that if there was no revenue stream from an HD package, the majority (it not all) subscription HD channels probably would not exist as they use the income from the sub to provide the channels. (ITV being a prime example).

with no extra revenue, what's in it for channels to provide an HD version.

They'd either have to raise other prices to spread the costs across the board, or, preferably (if competition was tougher) cut costs to pay for it. The additional costs these days must be far lower than they were in the early HD days, and as HD equipment and facilities become standard, which by now they ought to be anyway, the reducing cost differential should just be absorbed. Sky have had 7 years to pay for it and that's more than long enough IMO.

What's in it for channels who don't provide HD? Fewer viewers and possibly ultimate failure, that's what. If that forced some of the dross out, so much the better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'd either have to raise other prices to spread the costs across the board, or, preferably (if competition was tougher) cut costs to pay for it. The additional costs these days must be far lower than they were in the early HD days, and as HD equipment and facilities become standard, which by now they ought to be anyway, the reducing cost differential should just be absorbed. Sky have had 7 years to pay for it and that's more than long enough IMO.

What's in it for channels who don't provide HD? Fewer viewers and possibly ultimate failure, that's what. If that forced some of the dross out, so much the better.

but the channels use it as a revenue stream, that's the bottom line. ITV were blatant about it, ITV2,3,4 HD wouldn't exist is they couldn't make money out of it.

remember that the £10pm for HD is distributed out to the channels that are part of the package. it's not purely £10pm and all of it goes to sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member

but its not pure HD most of the time its just an upscale version of SD but you are being charged for full HD. my tv dose this for free
  • Options
    Forum Member
    but its not pure HD most of the time its just an upscale version of SD but you are being charged for full HD. my tv dose this for free

!!!...??
    Alot of the HD channels broadcast more HD content than you can shake a stick at.
    The amount of upscaled content is falling all the time and its not that much now..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All HD Ready TVs have upscalers built in, because if they didn't, when you came to watch something that was shot in a resolution different to that of the screen, you'd end up with a postage stamp-sized bit of video. If you were watching something with dimensions of 720x576 pixels, it would float in the middle of a 1,920x1,080-pixel screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All HD Ready TVs have upscalers built in, because if they didn't, when you came to watch something that was shot in a resolution different to that of the screen, you'd end up with a postage stamp-sized bit of video. If you were watching something with dimensions of 720x576 pixels, it would float in the middle of a 1,920x1,080-pixel screen.

Common knowledge
    But what's your point?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Common knowledge
    But what's your point?

so why pay if the tv does it for free cant see any difference on my tv
  • Options
    Forum Member
    so why pay if the tv does it for free cant see any difference on my tv

Are you serious here?

You actually think that you get HD just by your TV upscaling the content to fit your screen?!
    Thats not HD. And if you can't tell the difference between native HD and upscaled, i either suggest you need to get to Specsavers, or you don't have a HD source...